Question BSOD DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION help

May 7, 2019
I keep getting logts of BSODs with dpc watchdog violation as the stopcode and my laptop will also make a buzzing sound. If i have the charger plugged in, my computer will crash almost immediately after booting it up. It will run for longer if the charger is not plugged in, but it sometimes freezes and then recovers or blue screens after it freezes when it is unplugged, especially when I'm playing games. I am also able to run games for as long as I want to in safe mode plugged in or not.

What I have tried:
Clean install of nvidia drivers using DDU
Updating SSD drivers
reinstalling BIOS
running sfc scans
startup repair (says cannot repair device)

Minidump:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqCQScW8s-T-hw5w-j3Hc36GhM8g

PC:
CPU:i7-8750H 2.20 GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060
RAM: 2x 16 GB ram
SSD: Samsung SSD EVO 250 GB + WDC PC SN720 SDAPNTW 256GB

I'm not sure what else to put, any help?

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/hf2z.html
File information:050719-11109-01.dmp (May 6 2019 - 22:02:54)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 05 Sec(s)

File information:050719-11078-01.dmp (May 6 2019 - 22:27:10)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 24 Sec(s)

File information:050719-10937-01.dmp (May 6 2019 - 22:30:12)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 25 Sec(s)

File information:050719-10796-01.dmp (May 7 2019 - 04:25:32)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Main.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 56 Min(s), and 33 Sec(s)

File information:050719-10765-01.dmp (May 6 2019 - 22:20:00)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 16 Min(s), and 25 Sec(s)
Comment: 2 or more types of RAM are installed.

Comment: The overclocking driver "IOCBios2.sys" was found on your system. (Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)

All 5 crashes were caused by the nvlddmkm.sys file which is the NVIDIA graphics card driver. There are a few things you can do to fix this problem. First off, try a full uninstall using DDU in Safe Mode then re-install the driver (more information). Or try getting the latest version of the driver. Or try one of the 3 most recent drivers released by NVIDIA. Drivers can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/ or you can allow Windows Update to download the driver for you, which might be a older/better version.

System page: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GS65-Stealth-Thin-8RE

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
Most BSOD aren't that obvious. Change your Nvidia drivers, the current ones look bad to me, see many people getting errors with them.

Try letting windows update find them after running DDU, their drivers seem to work better (even though they just old Nvidia drivers)

May 7, 2019
I have tried installing the latest Nvidia drivers and the previous versions of the drivers including the 'official driver' on the MSI Driver & App Centre, but I still get the same BSOD also sometimes with VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys) with previous versions.

I have also tried using DDU and Windows update can't seem to find any update, I also get Driver power state failure and Video scheduler internal error BSODs when I haven't installed another Nvidia driver.

Colif

Win 11 Master
How new is laptop? is it under warranty?

shame it is a laptop as I would say GPU is problem, all the errors sure stack up in the direction.
very strange windows cannot find a driver, its almost like it can't see the card... which can happen if card is the problem.

At least the laptop can run using the intel gpu

May 7, 2019
It is only a couple months old and it is still under warranty, not sure if I can claim right now because I bought it in Hong Kong and I live in Australia right now. Maybe my gpu is the problem, guess I will have to take it to someone.