Question BSOD - During External Transfer

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Hey all!

I was transfering my back up files after a clean install, around 60 gigs of data. While I was transfering at random points of the transfer my computer would hang with my hard drive at 100% and my external at 0%, it would go at a really really almost non existent transfer rate, then it would lock up like its going to crash or freeze, it would then miraculously come back and continue transfering at the normal rate, after a while it went back to being really low, eventually hung up and I got a BSOD.

Also is there any risks in this to my external while it was transfering? Or in general, shutdown in mid transfer? I had a look and all the files where there and everything but I couldn't help but have a panic attack. I have a WD External that has its own power cable and usb to micro b. I've probably only used my external like 6-7 times since I bought it.

I did a Crystal Disc scan on my hard drive and there werent any issues with a Perfect status, granted its a 10 year old Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black (I didn't use it constantly since then, I had another drive).

I am looking to potentially get a new hard drive I just want to make sure that my hard drive is actually acting up and its not something else.

Not sure if this helps but here is a image of my event viewer for error logs.

View: https://imgur.com/a/GhLdWRV

Thank you for any info :)

Last edited:

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
I'm not sure if this is relevant but after I installed marvel drivers under compatibility mode my computer won't load into Windows.

I went to reboot after I installed it and now I'm stuck.

redacted

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need a little more information. By transferring backup files, are we talking about you overwriting files from your external drive to the newly installed OS drive? If so, then you should stop doing what you're doing. You're advised to backup critical data not files that are usually found when you install an app.

Also, you will also need to make sure your chipset drivers are installed and in order. You state Marvell controller, why would you need that?

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Oh I mean just general files like work, editing files etc. While I was copying I had that scenario occur.

Chipset drivers...hmm, I thought Windows 10 did everything automatically.

I honestly don't know a lot, I thought I might need them as device manager had a ! On it.

My system is very old. Should I just install the drivers from the asus website?

I'm going to have to format, I think a marvel drive I installed broke my Windows, can't load in.

Moreover, does it look like a driver issue or hardware?

Ty

TRENDING THREADS