Question BSOD errors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 28, 2020
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum so excuse me if the topic’s not right. But I am having problems with my new build. I built this PC in 20th of December, 2019. I looked up components, compatibility online myself and built it myself. At first it seemed it turned out fine. But then the problems began. Since then, i keep getting BSODs.

I’ll start with the components:
-CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (not overclocked)
-MOBO: AsRock B450 Steel Legend
-GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Windforce OC
-RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 3200MHz (at first I overclocked them by activating the xmp 2.0 profile to run at 3200 with my mobo, because the steel legend supports 3200 ram frequency only overclocked)
-PSU: Corsair TX750M
-Storage: 1 ADATA 500GB SSD (not M.2)
1 SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM

I have the box cooler on the CPU, which is the Wraith Spire. My Case is a Segotep Halo7 Plus, with 4 fans included. I usually get BSODs in games but it happened also while browsing the internet or right after i quit a game. Not all games give out BSODs but some are GTA V, Dying Light (a lot of crashes here), COD Modern Warfare (2019) and Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

At first I tought it had something to do with maybe drivers or MOBO ports. The reason is that, everytime i plugged my Headphones in, after some time, it would cause a BSOD. So I thought i needed to unplug them and see if that fixed it. It was a little better but the BSODs were still there. Next up, drivers. Recently, about a week ago, I installed some drivers from the MOBO website. It is a little better now but they still happen, only more rarely.

The temps are:
-CPU: around 40 degreee C while on desktop and about 65-70 while gaming. Normal load on the cores.
-GPU: based on the game. On COD Modern Warfare (which is the best looking game I have so far) the max was 85 degrees. On other games it could be lower. Normal load
-MOBO & RAM: around 40. So no problem there I think.

The BSODs are:
-MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
-ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY
-CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION
-SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (what failed: nvdldmkm.sys)
-PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (what failed:win32kfull.sys)
Maybe a couple more.

I have no damn idea how to fix it and when i search about the problems, it brings up something about drivers or memory. But I ran a memory disgnostics multiple times and it doesn’t find any problems with the memory. Could someone please help me? I am desperate! Thanks in advance!

Apr 28, 2020
I have a question. I was browsing the web and it came in my mind. Is there any way the drivers of my headphones (or the lack of them should I say) affect BSODs or the games I play? Because I bought these headphones for my old PC and I just plugged them in this new PC without installing any drivers I maybe should have installed maybe from the CD.

Apr 28, 2020
They're jack. And at the beginning I did, then, when the BSODs started to be frequent enough I plugged them off and it seemed to be better. After that, I plugged them in again after installing audio drivers from the MOBO site and I'm still using them.

I'll check the link you gave me

gardenman

Splendid
I think these 2 dumps are new. I ran them through the debugger and got the following information: https://kindlierbeef.htmlpasta.com/

File information:050420-8718-01.dmp (May 3 2020 - 17:33:20)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 39 Min(s), and 13 Sec(s)

File information:050320-8000-01.dmp (May 3 2020 - 11:51:44)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 28 Min(s), and 04 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You been getting lots of application errors
well, i can tell you having a lot of trouble with nvidia drivers

I would try this. run ddu and instead of getting latest drivers from Nvidia, run windows update and use the drivers Nvidia gave MS instead. They older and might work better
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/
dwm.exe has been crashing a lot, thats the windows desktop manager. talks to GPU

2nd crash you had above looks like GPU drivers as well.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wouldn't expect Microsoft to have drivers from April already, but if you say so...

When did you run ddu? I ask as Geforce experience crashed 6 times on the 6th, and if you had run ddu, you wouldn't have that on system at all.

Apr 28, 2020
Hey there. New BSOD. I've played only Minecraft and Darkest Dungeon in the past days. Today, I tried to play Modern Warfare. And again, there it is. BSOD. This time, a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (dxgkrnl.sys). From what I've read, it's the DirectX Driver. Any clues? As usual, I'll post the dropbox link to the Dump file.

Colif

Win 11 Master
This time, a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (dxgkrnl.sys).
well, 95% of the time its GPU drivers. Could be a higher percentage, i just give some wiggle room as it could be sound as well since directX has something to do with both.
I won't know what dump shows until Gardenman looks at it, but were you using headphones at the time?
If so, do you get that BSOD if you play MW without headphones?
I only mention it as you asked if it could be the headset

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you always get the BSOD when you play MW with headset in or just sometimes?
Otherwise the test might not prove anything. It's good thinking though, I am not there, I can't see what else pc might be doing that is odd.

I can find a USB version of that headset so I checked here and saw its minijacks. No actual drivers for headset though.

Apr 28, 2020
Ok, so. When I try to play MW, sometimes it's a BSOD, other times it's a fatal error with a long code with letters and numbers, other times it's just a simple game crash that brings me to desktop. I'll try to play without them, see if it works

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://uneffacedcollie.htmlpasta.com/

File information:051220-11609-01.dmp (May 12 2020 - 05:36:54)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: ModernWarfare.exe)
Uptime:3 Day(s), 23 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 19 Sec(s)

Keep playing without them to see if the BSODs stop. This will at least give us a hint that the headphones are a problem, and maybe something else too if no more BSODs.