BSOD issues with new rig, assistance please.

Rocket Man

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Hello,

I recently built a new rig, and am experiencing a very annoying Blue Screen. It does not seem to be specific to what I am doing, as it happens at random times regardless of if I am gaming or idle. I will list the computer specs below, followed by the error.

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V FORMULA LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131854
(As a note, I had to RMA a previous board because I received it with bent CPU pins. The current board had no pin damage)

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231488

Graphics Card: Galaxy 67NPH6DV5ZVX GeForce GTX 670 GC 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162107

Can try to supply more info on the parts if requested.

Now, the BSOD. It occurs at random times from what I can tell, sometimes crashing mid-game and sometimes when idle. I have been able to play graphics intensive games for many hours without problems, then crash a few minutes later when browsing facebook or twitch.tv.

I have run Memtest86 for 10 hours, no errors. Only 1 stick of RAM in the rig. I also ran Windows Memory Diagnostic no errors.

I have run Prime95 for 6 hours with no problems detected.

I have run FurMark for roughly 20 minutes, until the heat plateaued at 80c (the program download specified that if it plateaus, it can be stopped). I did not experience any problems at that time.

I attempted updating drivers as well as downgrading drivers. Do not know if that is possible for the processor, but did it multiple times for the graphics, as well as reinstalled the mobo drivers. Made no difference. Also updated BIOS (starting at version 700). I am now running the 1600 version.

Lastly, I completely reformatted my computer, wiping the hard drive and reinstalling windows. I did this because when I ran startup repair (as was mentioned as a solution in a similar thread) it told me the issue could not be repaired. After the wipe, I installed mobo drivers, followed by gcard drivers, and lastly with the drivers for my webcam and xbox360 controller.

Here are two blue screens I received just before and during writing this post (time frame of about 30 minutes):

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA8007F38028
BCP3: 00000000FE200000
BCP4: 0000000000021136
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\020313-36707-01.dmp
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-66035-0.sysdata.xml

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA8007F6B028
BCP3: 00000000BE200000
BCP4: 0000000000021136
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\020413-24367-01.dmp
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-54990-0.sysdata.xml

If you need any more information, I will do my very best to provide it in a timely manner. Remember, no specific program seems to be causing them. I am sorry if I gave way too much information, or even left some out. This is all I can think of off the top of my head that would be required.

Thank you in advance for the help. I will get back to this post ASAP (though it might take a few hours).

~Rocket

Solution
Hi there.

Uhm maybe give indeed some more juice to that CPU or yours. Just build the voltage a bit up and test it until its running solid ;)

Grtz,
Harmen

darkmendez

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
if the problem persist after the new bios.....get a better PSU (power supply unit) with higher amps and a good cooling CPU fan. Check your hardware and see if everything is properly in.

Rocket Man

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Bejusek - You definitely want to run the newest BIOS version possible.

Read this thread:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1120291 [...] d-op-first

I know it was written for SB, but maybe it will help.

Thanks! I will definitely be reading that asap. I do have BIOS on the latest version (1604). I tried every previous version to see if any difference was to be had, but the issue was persistent.

darkmendez - if the problem persist after the new bios.....get a better PSU (power supply unit) with higher amps and a good cooling CPU fan. Check your hardware and see if everything is properly in.

I'll do a rundown here in a second, but I have a 750W PSU. If this is not strong enough, I would be surprised.

harmster - Hi there.
BSOD code Extra info: Hardware:
• 0x0000124 WHEA Uncorrectable Error CPU

Thing to check:
Dont know if you are running a overclock? If so please try a lower speed
Is your system maybe running to hot ( CPU ) ?
Running on latest bios ( Version: 1604 )? http://support.asus.com/download.a [...] 8ZdqBeegMb
What kind op PSU do you own?

Good luck :)

Thank you for the luck! I will fiddle with bios after reading the link posted by Bejusek. According to HWMonitor, my CPU does not go above 60c even under load, because I currently have a corsair h100 installed. I have liquid cooling components on their way to me from frozencpu.com, should be here sometime this week.

I am running the latest BIOS, as mentioned earlier. Version 1604.

I own an ULTRA 750W ATX Power Supply. If I remember correctly, the program AI Suit II told me my cpu voltage was 1.21 at 3.9ghz (that's how it comes in the box, specified at the link provided earlier). Would you recommend turning the voltage up if this is the case? This is my third build but I have never had to change many BIOS settings before, just want to make sure I have opinions.

Thank you so much everyone so far!

harmster

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Hi there.

Uhm maybe give indeed some more juice to that CPU or yours. Just build the voltage a bit up and test it until its running solid ;)

Grtz,
Harmen

Solution

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Yeah give the cpu a bit of a voltage bump, not to much though. take it up in small steps and test. I had a cpu that did the same thing and With a small voltage tweak it strted to play ball. But do check it`s not the Psu anyway fluctuating. Because it could be connected to the Cpu error.

Rocket Man

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Alright, I have upped my cpu voltage to 1.30, and it seems to be running okay since I am posting this. If it doesn't work, I'll let you guys know if I up the voltage again or not, as well as list the error code.

Weaselman - is there a solid method of checking the PSU fluctuation possibility? The ASUS AI Suit II used to give me warning messages when something would look abnormal, and the most I would get was minor fluctuations in the 12 volt for very short amounts of time, with no crashes. Not sure if the program was reliable, as the temperatures were always off by a good amount.

As a wishful thinking note, if it runs with no crashes for the day, I will consider that a success and pick a best answer. If I have an issue in the future, I will let y'all know.

Thank you for all your help, especially Harmster.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Small fluctuations are ok in the after the point. But if it drops by a clear volt or more on any of the power rail outputs then. It can say something is wrong.
You can by a PSU tester that you can plug into the 24 pin atx block, or do as you are doing.
keep an eye on it and when the system crashes take note of the time. I am surprised AI suite does not have a log of this in a text file. It would sure help if you could tally the time it crashed with the voltage read outs of the psu at the time of the system crash.

harmster

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Hi there Rocket Man.
No problem, youre welcome. About the software, its just a small indication with the voltage meters. Also heared and seen more issues that the software is giving strange reading sometimes ( CPU @ 3 volts but it 1.25 Volts for real ). Most of the time its just try to check if you also got the latest version of the Ai suit.

The best way is still check it manual what Weaselman said, check it with a external PSU tester of power meter.

Hope your pc stays stable :)

Rocket Man

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
As of right now, my computer has been stable for 12 hours. Not even any hiccups or scares, completely smooth. I have been doing things that had been crashing it, such as watching 1080p streams or playing some intensive flash games. I will install a few steam games overnight tonight, and will test things like Skyrim and Left4Dead2 (which was crashing constantly) tomorrow morning.

As for those who helped me, thank you again to harmster and weaselman. Although I am not 100% sure it is solved, it is running much better than it had been. I now know what to tweak if required along the lines.

Will continue with a follow-up post tomorrow when I have tested a few graphics intensive games. Cheers!

harmster

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Hi there Rocket Man.
Try to stress indeed the unit a bit. You can run Prime95 and Furmark togehter to stress cpu ( abit mem ) and GPU at the same time. Used it here a couple of times with great succes hihi.

Let us know how it goes and if needed, help is arround the corner ;)

And for now... let the force be with.. uhm.. your CPU haha

Rocket Man

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
My computer has been stable for nearly 48 hours. It had a few issues when I first changed the voltage, so I moved it down to 1.280 from 1.300. I forgot to mention the change earlier, oops!

I played multiple games as well as tested various other applications, and it seems fine. If I have any issues, I will simply fiddle with the voltage some more. Otherwise, I am confident that it is working correctly, so I will pick an answer and this can be closed.