Question BSOD issues

Jul 10, 2024
Been trying to get help narrowing down BSOD issues. This started a few days ago. Only things that changed with my PC that may be relevant was uninstalling malwarebytes and a power outage while gaming. Issue started as random BSODs which eventually lead to a neverending BSOD loop being caused by aswbidsdriver.sys which I identified as a driver for Avast antivirus. After uninstalling Avast in safemode, I was able to boot again but the random BSODs persisted with various bug codes. Decided it was a time for a Windows reset. Unfortunately the BSODs have persisted even through a fresh install of windows which leads me to believe hardware is failing. Many of the dumps I've ran through windbg seem to indicate memory corruption issues. First step will be to run memtest86 after acquiring a USB drive from a friend tomorrow. Dump files attached for anyone who can make better sense of them than I can.

071024-5140-01.dmp
071024-5296-01.dmp
071024-6046-01.dmp

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

fileinfo.sys
memory_corruption

are the two entries showing up in WinDBG

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Unfortunately the BSODs have persisted even through a fresh install of windows which leads me to believe hardware is failing.
Where did you source the installer for your OS? Did you encounter the BSoD's when installing the OS, in offline mode?

If you think it's memory, you should source(borrow, not buy) another stick of ram(at the very least) or a dual channel ram kit.

Jul 10, 2024
Thanks for the reply. Apologies for not including specs.

CPU: I7 8700K
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Ram: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz
SSD/HDD: Samsung EVO SSD x2
GPU: MSI 1080ti
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Chassis: Thermaltake Chaser
Monitor: Dell S2417DG

Originally or the fresh install? I got it originally from being in the military through a program. Fresh install was done through the system reset feature in the OS.

Jul 10, 2024
Just noticed the edits.

No BSODs during the windows reset. PSU I believe was purchased in 2018.

BIOS version is P1.30 from 11/24/2017. The Microsoft tech who looked at my system today did recommend updating to the latest bios which I also plan to do. It's going to be a last step type of thing though to avoid my PC crashing while updating BIOS and bricking something completely.

I'm not entirely sure if its memory but does seem to be a common thing brought up from googling the various stop codes I've had. I do have my two old ram sticks actually. Forgot I kept those around. Good call, I'll swap them.

Not very experienced with windbg but the memory things I've seen has given some direction. I'm confused on how fileinfo.sys is causing a BSOD though.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2024
A little update now that I acquired a USB drive from a friend. Probably safe to mark this one solved. First image is my RAM, failing memtest86 within 10 seconds every attempt. 2nd image is my old ram I had still laying around. One pass with no errors, will continue running but obviously looks like my RAM somehow got fried, perhaps in the power outage that happened the day prior to the BSODs happening. Will further test my ram with xmp disabled for stock clocks to see if that made a difference and then the two sticks individually.

KK1elRe.jpeg

GSgrFwf.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2024
Further testing shows one of the sticks instantly reaching the max 10,000 errors within 20 seconds of memtest both with and without xmp enabled. The other stick has shown 0 errors so far with xmp enabled. Issue officially solved and Corsair has already accepted my RMA.