Question BSOD (Kernel_Auto_Boost_Invalid_Lock_Release) Need Help identifying an issue.

Jan 20, 2021
I have been having a multitude of blue screens nearly daily for a while now, My mobo died a while back and thought it would stop if I replaced that, but it didn't stop, replaced my RAM recently and that didn't stop it, and my CPU is a newer Ryzen 5 3600. My GPU is the oldest part, a Radeon Vega 56 Blower style, but regardless of the replacements and such, I haven't been able to identify the issue. I haven't noticed much of a commonality in the crashes, they seem pretty random. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated, I really don't wanna waste more money and I need this PC to work well for college school meetings.

Here's my dump files from the past few days, this should cover a large amount of the various crashes I'm experiencing: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jay83s8bm8owxtn/AACR5ihcLGdSXG2AQShEorxva?dl=0

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/p59w170j/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:011921-12234-01.dmp (Jan 20 2021 - 00:12:15)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE (162)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: MSI.True Color.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 46 Min(s), and 55 Sec(s)

File information:011721-13546-01.dmp (Jan 18 2021 - 02:31:38)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Corsair.Service.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 54 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

File information:011621-11546-01.dmp (Jan 16 2021 - 20:36:39)
Bugcheck:UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7F)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: steam.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 47 Min(s), and 13 Sec(s)

File information:011521-79140-01.dmp (Jan 16 2021 - 02:12:02)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 23 Hour(s), 21 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)

File information:011421-81156-01.dmp (Jan 15 2021 - 02:01:56)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL (192)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Unknown_Module_cdcdcdcd`cdcdcdcd
Probably caused by:Unknown_Image (Process: ?)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 17 Min(s), and 35 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

Comment: I've never seen NDivert.sys before. Not sure what it is.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/b450-tomahawk-max
You have BIOS 3.7 loaded. I'm not sure what the latest version is because the website is refusing to load for me. If there is a BIOS update available... Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Jan 20, 2021
Ok, I think I know part of what's going on here from that. I have both iCue and MSI Dragon Center installed (Both RGB managing programs) and that's probably causing the issues for the latest ones. As for the crashes on the 16th and 15th, I don't know, but I did a system file check and a disk check since then, so hopefully that won't come back up. As for the Motherboard, that is correct. I can't find out on the BIOS either, but I don't want to update that unless absolutely necessary. I have MSI Dragon Center which probably comes up as Overclocking software, not currently overclocking anything. I'll try removing iCue or something like that. Thank you for your help currently!

Update: BIOS is not current, 3.90 is the current version, 3.70 is the version I have as you said. Of course I don't want to update it unless I must, but it's good info to have.

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, thats odd
WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Unknown_Module_cdcdcdcd`cdcdcdcd

Processes mentioned were victims, not causes. Very rarely a EXE file causes a BSOD
Dump 3 windows was stuck in a loop, something was trying to access a file on hdd and kept looping the same sequence so it wasn't getting what it expected. tried it 4 times and then crashed.

B450 TOMAHAWK MAX & a 3600, I see this combo all the time.

You don't want this
Mar 19 2015amd_sata.sysAMD SATA Controller AHCI Device driver http://support.amd.com/

refer
AMD SATA AHCI drivers for AMD 6-Series, 7-Series, 8-Series, or 9-Series chipsets are included in the chipset driver package and is compatible only with desktop systems running Windows® 8.1, Windows 7 or older (depending on chipset).

Recommendations
Desktop systems based on AMD 6-Series, 7-Series, 8-Series, 9-Series, Socket AM4, and Socket TR4 chipsets running Windows® 10 should use the Microsoft provided Standard SATA AHCI Controller driver that comes installed with Windows® by default. This configuration ensures compatibility and offers the best experience with most types of mass storage devices.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-250

try updating chipset drivers - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

think 5th crash is normally internet related. Don't see it often.
do you use wireless or Ethernet?
Feb 10 2020bcmwl63a.sysBroadcom 802 11 Network Adapter Wireless driver
getting a little old, i don't know if there are any newer as I don't know what Adapter it is. I assume USB
May 26 2020rt640x64.sysRealtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family Controller driver
better - newer ones here - 3rd driver here under windows - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

Jan 20, 2021
I use Ethernet usually, but I do have a Wireless card in my system. I'll also see about removing those Sata Drivers, not exactly sure how they got there. Thank you for the info!

Jan 20, 2021
So, I haven't been able to pinpoint anything specifically unfortunately. I do, however, have more dump files. I did update the chipset drivers, couldn't find the exact Sata drivers that were mentioned above though. I've just been getting a wide variety of BSOD codes, but the Kernel Lock error code in the title seems to be the most common. Unfortunately at a loss here for now. I don't exactly have an abundance of time to reinstall windows, I have to have this PC for college work. Thank you very much for your help so far, by the way.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1aoUdEktkmGP63j2EIvnAYZSh_BksJCGl?usp=sharing

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/xfdvh14p/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:020321-27437-01.dmp (Feb 3 2021 - 16:03:48)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: RadeonSoftware.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 08 Sec(s)

File information:020321-13375-01.dmp (Feb 4 2021 - 01:03:37)
Bugcheck:REFERENCE_BY_POINTER (18)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for dump_wmimmc.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: GameMon64.des)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 55 Sec(s)

File information:020321-11687-01.dmp (Feb 3 2021 - 23:57:09)
Bugcheck:APC_INDEX_MISMATCH (1)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: firefox.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 52 Min(s), and 50 Sec(s)

File information:020121-11265-01.dmp (Feb 1 2021 - 17:57:45)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE (162)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 50 Min(s), and 19 Sec(s)

File information:012921-10796-01.dmp (Jan 29 2021 - 17:50:04)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION (C9)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for vmulti.sys
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 11 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
reference by pointer caused by
Sep 04 2020dump_wmimmc.sysGameGuard driver

vmulti.sys caused Driver verifer error...
Virtual Multiple HID Driver (multitouch, mouse, digitizer, keyboard, joystick) its on github - https://github.com/djpnewton/vmulti
Dec 10 2018vmulti.sysHID mini driver for Virtual Multitouch Device (Shenzhen Huion Animation Technology Co.,TLD)
i would remove/replace these.

might want to update WIFI drivers as well
Feb 10 2020bcmwl63a.sysBroadcom 802 11 Network Adapter Wireless driver

as they might be cause of the 2 KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE (162) errors.
unless you use ethernet.

Jan 20, 2021
I removed MSI Dragon Center since it was the only MSI software I had and now the crashes seem to be more frequent. AS for your reply Colif, I'll likely remove the wireless drivers and then remove my wifi card for now since I don't use it, and then I'll look and see about removing the vmulti.sys because I don't own any Huion products. I own a drawing tablet, but it's not Huion brand.

Jan 20, 2021
Alright, I went through, removed the 3 drivers both of you mentioned, pulled my PCI Wifi card out, and have fully removed Dragon Center as well as my drawing tablet software (Source of the vmulti.sys driver). I'll see if any more errors come up later and post them here. Thank you very much for the help! P.S. NDivert.sys is part of NordVPN's drivers, I don't think it's too much to worry about.

Jan 20, 2021
So I'm still getting Blue Screens after all of this, and I can't find a reason for it. I'm wondering if getting a new SSD and completely fresh installing windows and only downloading programs I need could possibly solve these issues. I might also do a memtest tonight and a Prime95 test later. Usually this doesn't happen during games, it's so weird. If you're interested though, here's the newest set of Dumps:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/132Y2kEHdGhs6CALPuaQUSGaV0ctgb1-R?usp=sharing

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you clean install after replacing motherboard? A fresh start is one way to tell if its hardware or not.

I don't know if I suspect your storage so new ssd might not be answer, unless you want one.
I expect gardenman will look at that later.

Jan 20, 2021
did you clean install after replacing motherboard? A fresh start is one way to tell if its hardware or not.

I don't know if I suspect your storage so new ssd might not be answer, unless you want one.
I expect gardenman will look at that later.
That's what I'm thinking. A new SSD with more storage and a clean install to take it out in one fell swoop. It'd be a hassle to do a clean install with all the files I have on my PC right now. I did a reset when I put the motherboard in, kept files, not apps. Don't know if that would've done the trick. I didn't do it when I replaced the RAM, but it's entirely possible the old motherboard took my GPU with it, and that would be the worst case scenario. I don't have the money for a new GPU.

Jan 20, 2021
Agreed for sure. However I really don't think it's that considering it's less common for my PC to Blue Screen while I'm playing a game, and I also have less programs running, so it could be loosely tied to how many programs are running, but that's just the conjecture of someone who's not terribly knowledgeable about this. Regardless, I really, really appreciate all of your guys' help. It's been fantastic!

Colif

Win 11 Master
clean start on new ssd means you can slowly rebuild and know you still have everything on another hdd. I did similar last year when i upgraded to current PC without moving anything across from old pc. Helps to write down a list of the programs you already have installed that you will want again. Passwords also helps. I don't think I missed anything that I have noticed in the last 5 months.

i probably mentioned it already but i seem to be followed by people who have 3600 and MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

there is a newer bios than yours that isn't in beta - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX
there is a YouTube link at top of that page that shows how to update bios

gardenman

Splendid
I'm not sure if these will be needed (they won't if you reinstall). However, dump file results: https://jsfiddle.net/upy0agmf/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:020721-18359-01.dmp (Feb 7 2021 - 17:02:34)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: SearchApp.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)

File information:020721-11125-01.dmp (Feb 7 2021 - 23:40:31)
Bugcheck:APC_INDEX_MISMATCH (1)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 12 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)

File information:020621-11406-01.dmp (Feb 6 2021 - 04:43:35)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 14 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)

File information:020621-11343-01.dmp (Feb 7 2021 - 01:04:48)
Bugcheck:ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY (FC)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: GameMon.des)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 45 Min(s), and 44 Sec(s)

File information:020621-11125-01.dmp (Feb 7 2021 - 00:18:34)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL (10E)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 08 Min(s), and 26 Sec(s)

Jan 20, 2021
Hmmmm, Firefox was probably while I was watching videos or other streams on YouTube or Twitch. Not sure what to make of that to be fair. As for GameMon, I play Phantasy Star Online 2, I wanna say it has that process and that would line up with that time if I'm remembering correctly. No clue for searchapp or system.
I ran Memtest86 for 4 passes last night while I slept and it ran into no errors btw.
Hopefully this helps somewhat, and thank you again for the help!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Crash 1-4 not obvious to me.

crash 5 is GPU drivers
it doesn't exactly mention them but it is all DirectX. Try running DDU in safe mode, uninstall AMD drivers and reinstall again

Colif

Win 11 Master
lets see if we can get windows to show us what cause is.

step1
go to command prompt (admin)
Enter these BOLD commands and press ENTER after each.
(Note the colon after C with no space; then the spaces which are important - one after T before / & T before { & } before B & Y before L)

C:
BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY
EXIT

that sets it up so if you restart and start pressing F8 right away at start up, it will take you to safe mode

follow the steps in post 2 below, create a restore point and make an installer, they are just precautions.

note: to turn safe mode off again at startup and return to normal, go into Command prompt (admin) and enter these commands
C:
BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY STANDARD

now why all the precautions? Cause Driver verifer, even though part of win 10, can put it in a boot loop. So I show people how to get into safe mode and turn it off. The commands to turn it off are in the instructions I link to in that post above.