Jan 9, 2021
Hello,

First of all, apologies if I'm doing anything wrong, as I'm not used to forums and this is my first time here.

Today, I have done a fresh win10 install on my PC that has been running win 8.1 perfectly fine for years. I am continually getting the above error and through using BlueScreenView I managed to find the cause coming from ntoskrnl.exe.

This BSOD seems to happen either several times in succession after a boot, then, sometimes it runs up to 20-30mins without issue and then BSOD.

Always the same reason KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. No further information is written on the BSOD.

However, in safe mode, there is no issue.

I have done a windows update, and updated the graphics driver (nvidia).

Tried starting up the pc with only microsoft services running and nothing else, the crash still happens.

Disabled fast startup and this did not help.

I have been following this thread since a friend suggested I look into driver verifier, but found this potentially more helpful: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/bsod-ntoskrnl-exe-error-used-driver-verifier.3109966/

Following this, I reset all settings in my BIOS to try and stop any overclocking. Unfortunately this didn't help.
I've followed the other step to create small memory dumps and have them here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q1m8udiv2gwk0mg/AABIotHAZzptCOmYMjwoVF5Ba?dl=0

I was hoping someone might be able to decipher these and help me solve the issue, as I've had no luck all day.

Thank you for your time.

Ross

Solution
If you use one from time to time, chances are, you're going to need that driver. However, for now, refrain from using the controller since that could be a contributing factor. Try updating your BIOS though and tell me how it goes. Please be sure that your power cables are not loose, as updating the BIOS is a very risky task.
Jan 9, 2021
Hello Ross,

First of all, welcome to Toms Hardware. Hopefully you have enjoyed your stay so far. I analyzed each dump file, and each of them states that a divide by zero error has occurred. For starters, provide us with some more information such as the specifications of your computer, Windows version (use winver.exe to find the Windows version), and programs that could potentially conflict with device drivers or other programs in general (e.g. antiviruses). For now, however, I do have a few generic solutions that you should try:

1. Memtest86. Use this tool to find out if any sticks have gone bad, and replace the sticks accordingly. Corrupt memory can cause all sorts of memory changes, which can induce one of these errors (not as likely, as the dumps remain consistent).
  2. Disable overclocking for GPUs, CPUs, and RAM. Many errors have occurred in many different circumstances from an unstable overclock (such as arithmetic errors).
  3. If you are undervolting the CPU (or hardware in general), reset the voltage. Undervolting the CPU can cause arithmetic errors, such as division by zero (which all five dumps state).

I also would suggest updating outdated drivers, however, the crash dump states that the culprit is 'ntkrnlmp.exe', so the chances of the cause being outdated drivers is unlikely.

Reactions: redkiteross
Jan 9, 2021
Morning,

Thanks for your reply. Overnight I have left the PC on in safe mode just in-case and no issues there. Not sure if this helps at all but thought it was a worthwhile test.

So as this was a fresh install of win10, there wasn't any other programs that could've caused the issue here, any programs I've installed are after the issue started. The first time the BSOD happened was during the first install. I then went through and did a load of checks after the install worked but couldn't find the solution, so I did another fresh install, that worked at first, but shortly after reaching the desktop, the BSOD started again. So it cannot be an issue with anything that isn't part of generic win10.

My specs are:

Motherboard: Asus P8P67
BIOS ver/date: American Megatrends Inc. 0701, 18/11/2010
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
Ram: Corsair 16gb ddr3
GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB
PSU: Antec Truepower Classic 750W
Disk: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
I'm also using two LG ultrawide 1080p monitors.

Whilst looking at my system info, I also found some information that may be relevant, or may not be: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fhkpiombshgrp47/AAC0Ua3gSRBHAOfspJa_6_hra?dl=0

Windows ver: 20H2 (OS Build19042.685) - Please note that I installed Win10, and then did a windows update after the BSOD started happening.

I'll work on the points mentioned once I've found the information above. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021
So I've done the memtest and it's come up with 0 errors, see details here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d61uhvi2othjne7/AAATqU8-oBXPVwIzKuCYJaESa?dl=0

I'll have to look into seeing if everything is still being overclocked, I thought I had previously resolved this by putting all BIOS settings back to standard.

I'd be surprised if the CPU is being undervolted, with a 750w PSU. If this were the case, wouldn't it have not worked when I was using windows 8.1?

Jan 9, 2021
I've checked voltages and I think they're okay. CPU is at 1.2 which is good from my understanding.

Details also found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fhkpiombshgrp47/AAC0Ua3gSRBHAOfspJa_6_hra?dl=0

Not sure how to guarantee my pc is not overclocking but I believe it shouldn't be.

So that pretty much covers everything and the issue unfortunately is still occurring. I'll continue looking at the OC controls for now and play about with it.

I can confirm that the speed of the CPU is at 3300 MHz. So it should not be overclocked.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021
Jan 9, 2021
You stated that the PC was originally running Windows 8.1 before you upgraded to Windows 10. Since this may start to seem like incompatibility issues, try downloading the latest drivers for the devices you use. I also noticed that you have a driver called 'xboxgip.sys'. After doing some research, it is a known cause for bug checks (though, not this particular one). Consider removing the driver if possible. Lastly, it is always a good idea to update your motherboard's BIOS.

Jan 9, 2021
Thanks, I'm looking at updating the BIOS now. After BIOS i'm not sure what to update as looking at device manager all external devices I use seem to be up-to-date, but i can try disconnecting my mouse/keyboard and see if the BSOD happens.

What is the best way for me to remove that xboxgip driver?

Reactions: Uncodable
Jan 9, 2021
Thanks, I'm looking at updating the BIOS now. After BIOS i'm not sure what to update as looking at device manager all external devices I use seem to be up-to-date, but i can try disconnecting my mouse/keyboard and see if the BSOD happens.

What is the best way for me to remove that xboxgip driver?

At first glance I believed that the 'xboxgip.sys' driver was a third-party driver, so you could have uninstalled the corresponding software. However, I later learned that it seems to come with Windows 10. Do you use an XBox game controller on your PC?

Jan 9, 2021
If you use one from time to time, chances are, you're going to need that driver. However, for now, refrain from using the controller since that could be a contributing factor. Try updating your BIOS though and tell me how it goes. Please be sure that your power cables are not loose, as updating the BIOS is a very risky task.

Solution