Question BSOD - Now all drives “not detected”

Dec 18, 2021
Hello,

Thank you in advance for reading/considering this issue. I cannot find a solution anywhere.

Yesterday, I encountered a BSOD, and now my BIOS does “not detect” any one of my hard drives. I have Windows 10 on my single M_2 drive, as well as 3 separate SSDs.

I updated the BIOS on my ASUS B450 Tomahawk Max motherboard, and still none of the drives were detected. I disconnected every drive except the bootable M_2, and it again was not detected.

I was able to test another power supply, as well as check and re-seat my RAM, and the same issues persist.

I have re-seated all drives, checked cable connections, restored defaults on my BIOS, and I even tried booting from my Windows USB stick (once I selected the 64 bit version, it loaded momentarily and just looped me back to the BIOS screen.)

I suspect that my motherboard is messed up somehow, but I may be missing something. I’m hoping to hear some feedback on this predicament. I’m at a loss.

Thank you very much for reading/considering this issue. I really appreciate any insight, or suggestion on how to proceed.

Dec 18, 2021
So, you connected a different power supply. Right?
Were both your PSUs modular?
Did you use original cables for each of your PSU ?

If you use wrong cables with a modular psu, it is possible to damage/kill devices connected.

Thanks for replying! Yes, both power supplies are modular, and I used the cables that belong to each power supply. One is a PowerSpec 650, the other is a Corsair CM750.

When I boot up with either power supply, the behavior is exactly the same. There is about a two minute black screen, and then I arrive in the BIOS menu. The BIOS identifies my CPU and RAM as it normally would, however under “storage” every single drive is listed as “not detected.” I also reseated the M_2 drive, as well as meticulously check every other cable/connection in the computer.

Dec 18, 2021
There is one other observation I had which may be relevant... Only two of the several USB ports seem to work. My mouse/keyboard were initially plugged into two of the suddenly “failed” ports, and neither of them were powered when I arrived in the BIOS initially. After some trial and error, I discovered the only two functioning USB ports.

The other ports will still not work at all. Just the two USB ports will power my mouse/keyboard.

I have never had a problem with any USB ports. My computer was functioning perfectly before this incident. I had no indication that anything was wrong prior to the BSOD.

TRENDING THREADS