[SOLVED] BSOD on my 2013 build. Time for new mobo,ram and cpu would like to limit to 750w power supply.

m3cosmos

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
I lost my regular user id since no more work email and opening a new account.

I'm getting BSOD probably from kids shutting off my PC. Tried different ram but it's still getting worst. ssd speed seems ok. It was a 2013 build so i'm looking for advice for best value for dollar in terms of performance. I would rather use what i already have.

CORSAIR RM Series RM750 750W ATX12V
Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1150
MSI Gaming N760 TF 2GD5/OC G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming MS7821
MSI GTX760
SSD840pro 256gb (running windows 7)
SSD850evo 1tb secondary drive

What would be a good upgrade value for dollar?

I probably get a new C drive to replace the 256gb. What is stable pic for the main ssd drive small size is fine.

Would the GTX760 ok to get by?

I will need to buy windows 10 due to support? I have win 7 retail.

Looking for more stable reliable rather than pure speed.

Thanks,

I don't game much since I don't want kids to fight for the computer but I do love gaming.

Solution
Sata ssd and nvme are much the same normally, the files transfered are small enough that the fraction of a second difference isn't really a difference as the cpu can only process the data so fast. Where nvme really shine over Sata ssd is in Large file transfers, ones measured in seconds long or bigger. Then the considerably faster speeds can cut that time down in half or more.

While windows itself is a bunch of smaller files, the original CAB files are not, they are quite large, so those files take next to no time vs having to be read to ram first from cd/dvd.

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
I lost my regular user id since no more work email and opening a new account.

I'm getting BSOD probably from kids shutting off my PC. Tried different ram but it's still getting worst. ssd speed seems ok. It was a 2013 build so i'm looking for advice for best value for dollar in terms of performance. I would rather use what i already have.

CORSAIR RM Series RM750 750W ATX12V
Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1150
MSI Gaming N760 TF 2GD5/OC G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming MS7821
MSI GTX760
SSD840pro 256gb (running windows 7)
SSD850evo 1tb secondary drive

What would be a good upgrade value for dollar?

I probably get a new C drive to replace the 256gb. What is stable pic for the main ssd drive small size is fine.

Would the GTX760 ok to get by?

I will need to buy windows 10 due to support? I have win 7 retail.

Looking for more stable reliable rather than pure speed.

Thanks,

I don't game much since I don't want kids to fight for the computer but I do love gaming.

I don't think you'll want to use a 7 year old psu with a new mobo/ram/cpu, its done its job. Not sure what kind of budget you are looking at, but if you are not doing alot of gaming then I don't really see any reason to upgrade the gpu, especially with the gpu prices at the moment. the samsung line has 860/870 evos. The cpu budget is probably the biggest unknown factor, and replacing the 7 year old 750w psu. i7-10700 around 300$ 8 cores, 16 threads; with a new mobo LGA 1200 socket. if you are not really interested in speed i wouldn't bother with nvme drive, not that they are any less stable then a traditional ssd.

if you would rather use what you got, then thats a different story. run memtest86 check for errors, check drive health in samsung magician app, pull mobo out of case and remove gpus, use integrated graphics and see if bsods still happen etc etc. I would recommend getting windows 10, since the support for win7 ended a year ago.

m3cosmos

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
I don't think you'll want to use a 7 year old psu with a new mobo/ram/cpu, its done its job. Not sure what kind of budget you are looking at, but if you are not doing alot of gaming then I don't really see any reason to upgrade the gpu, especially with the gpu prices at the moment. the samsung line has 860/870 evos. The cpu budget is probably the biggest unknown factor, and replacing the 7 year old 750w psu. i7-10700 around 300$ 8 cores, 16 threads; with a new mobo LGA 1200 socket. if you are not really interested in speed i wouldn't bother with nvme drive, not that they are any less stable then a traditional ssd.

if you would rather use what you got, then thats a different story. run memtest86 check for errors, check drive health in samsung magician app, pull mobo out of case and remove gpus, use integrated graphics and see if bsods still happen etc etc. I would recommend getting windows 10, since the support for win7 ended a year ago.

Thanks, i'm not familiar with PSU. Did the plugs changed? What PSU do you recommend for i7-10700 build and what brand of ram is popular now a days?

I already swapped ram since I had extras and already ran magician. I forgotten i had integrated graphics! If that fixes the probably that would be great.

I like this windows 7 and Microsoft ending support makes you wonder if one should buy OEM version.

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Thanks, i'm not familiar with PSU. Did the plugs changed? What PSU do you recommend for i7-10700 build and what brand of ram is popular now a days?

I already swapped ram since I had extras and already ran magician. I forgotten i had integrated graphics! If that fixes the probably that would be great.

I like this windows 7 and Microsoft ending support makes you wonder if one should buy OEM version.
if you plan on upgrading gpu later on probably should plan for that and go for potentially another 750w or a 850w. A psu tier list can be found here:

You can find these models typically on newegg, i wouldn't go lower then tier b. I7-10700 can use up to 230 watts under load, plus factoring in gpu and other components. The ram would be ddr4 probably 3200mhz, but you would generally want to pick a LGA 1200 socket motherboard first then check the QVL for ram compatibility models, then from there pick one off the list.

OEM versions are not going to be any different not sure what you meant with the last line, its just tied to one set of hardware but they offered upgrades from win7/8.1 to windows 10 a while back for free, oem or not. I wouldn't personally bother with OEM, but even if you get retail win10 version that isn't OEM, you may still need to call microsoft to activate the windows on a second PC as it ties your Product ID to a set of hardware similar to OEM but doesn't limit you to only that system.

m3cosmos

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
if you plan on upgrading gpu later on probably should plan for that and go for potentially another 750w or a 850w. A psu

If it crashes again i'm going for a new mobo,cpu,ram power supply. Why are older 750w bad for today's computers?

I was looking at Seasonic FOCUS GX-850 or PX-850. Is the Px worth it for the extra $20? Are the amperage more geared towards systems today or mainly graphic card issue needing a new PSU?

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
If it crashes again i'm going for a new mobo,cpu,ram power supply. Why are older 750w bad for today's computers?

I was looking at Seasonic FOCUS GX-850 or PX-850. Is the Px worth it for the extra $20? Are the amperage more geared towards systems today or mainly graphic card issue needing a new PSU?
fans, capacitors failure rate over time increases, but there is plenty of PSU's that can run 10-15 years without any issues, as with electrical components there is PSUs that fail way earlier, ive not personally had a PSU go bad on me, but I retire a PSU after 24/7 use for half a decade, especially if I am building a new PC. nothing really requires you to get a new psu.

m3cosmos

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
Thanks for your help! Now I understand what you are saying. Basically, insurance against new hardware.

Wow onboard video is horrible. I tweaked the bios to allocate max memory but it still lags in refresh rate and I can see the graphics not as sharp. I may swap this 8gb with the 16gb i've taken out and run memtest86 again to confirm.

The good news is no crash within 5 hrs so far and i'll find out tomorrow to be sure. If it happens again I will buy a new power supply as my final trouble shoot before stepping up to the purchase. Better to save as much as i could during these crazy times.

For a 7 year old computer i guess it is possible for the graphic card to go out but i'd expect 10+ years since my case has decent cooling.

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Thanks for your help! Now I understand what you are saying. Basically, insurance against new hardware.

Wow onboard video is horrible. I tweaked the bios to allocate max memory but it still lags in refresh rate and I can see the graphics not as sharp. I may swap this 8gb with the 16gb i've taken out and run memtest86 again to confirm.

The good news is no crash within 5 hrs so far and i'll find out tomorrow to be sure. If it happens again I will buy a new power supply as my final trouble shoot before stepping up to the purchase. Better to save as much as i could during these crazy times.

For a 7 year old computer i guess it is possible for the graphic card to go out but i'd expect 10+ years since my case has decent cooling.

sustain as long as you think necessary to see if you get another bsod, alternatively you could re-install the gpu and run some stress tests on it and see if you get a bsod in quick fashion. either or, not really sure how frequent bsods you were getting but if you are talking multiple per day, a few days without gpu and no bsods would probably point to a failing gpu. stress testing it should be more likely to bsod, monitor gpu temps with hwmonitor or gpu-z to be sure its not a temp related issue, but i'd assume its just failing, if its the gpu causing the bsod.

remove any oc on gpu/ram, you listed 760 twice in original post but i assume you only have one? getting a new psu wouldn't be a waste of money now anyway considering the new build potential, so that would serve as dual purpose to test in your current build, and then set aside for the new build. typically a psu wouldn't cause a bsod, but rather reboot/shutdowns from irregular power states, but its not impossible for a situation like insufficient power to a gpu to cause bsod, id imagine you would see some artifacting in some form though.

Last edited:

m3cosmos

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
BSOD happened again running onboard video. Good point i'm getting BSOD vs auto restart from a bad power supply but i see your point. Looks like CPU, mobo, ram, psu, SSD, and windows 10 will be a costly fix.

Any advice on chipsets? b460, z490 or z590

Last edited:

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
BSOD happened again running onboard video. Good point i'm getting BSOD vs auto restart from a bad power supply but i see your point. Looks like CPU, mobo, ram, psu, SSD, and windows 10 will be a costly fix.

Any advice on chipsets? b460, z490 or z590
that likely takes the gpu out of the question, if the ram is correctly timed and passed memtest then i would suspect its not the cause either. have you ran sfc scan by any chance to potentially find any corrupted system files? It is possible given the 840 evo is 7-8 years old aswell that you might want to check the os install's integrity if possible without bsod.

Purchase a new psu first since its something you can use to test on this build for kicks, and im not sure what cpu you are looking at, but id figure its going to be intel line socket lga 1200 with that chipset. probably looking at 10700k? z590 has more ports for usb types, additional pci gen 4 lanes, and ability to use Wi-Fi 6E for 6ghz wifi. not really any major differences in performance over the z490 chipset in terms of overclocking. really up to preference.

You could always do a test install of windows on your other SSD, and wait for any bsod. A little tedious but would be good to know if the bsods still happen even with other ssd holding new OS install, preferably remove the other SSD (840) out of the equation.

m3cosmos

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
The sfc scan say "Windows Resource protection did not find any integrity violations". Only hard drive or motherboard being the problem I guess.

I was looking at the 10700k or the 10600k to save $100.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What was the BSOD? If it didn't say, look in Windows event viewer for the red-flagged critical errors. That's going to at least start pointing you in the right direction of what 'needs' fixing or replacing. No point in throwing a bunch of money into an old pc that's just going to fail again because you fixed the wrong part.

Mostly I start looking to replace a psu the day before the warranty runs out. After that, you are operating on faith. You might have alleviated the bsod by pulling the gpu, but there's 4 causes of that reason. 1. Motherboard chipset drivers/gpu drivers, 2. Failing gpu, 3. Failing psu, 4. Failing motherboard.

What exactly is the pc used for? Email, websurfing and occasional gaming on a 1080p monitor? You don't need a 10700k. Not even close. A 10600k will do just fine, as will a Ryzen 3600/X. 16Gb of 3200MHz ram. If you do opt for a new gpu, a new psu should be tailored to match, generally a good 550w or 650w will cover anything in your needs range.

But all that depends on A) budget and B) needs.

m3cosmos

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
I think you are correct that it may be a gpu and or chipset driver issue or a failing board. The memtest and hard drive on samsung magician tested out good. My UPS stopped working and kids pull my computer plug a few times and now i'm getting these issue. Because of what happens i just assumed my computer was fired when i posted this.

Most of 2020 I've worked from home on this computer. 99% work related programs and soldworks is the extent of CPU/GPU requirement.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ah. See that makes a difference.

A 10600k would be good overall, a 10700k will be the same (mostly) except in certain aspects that see high core saturation, a core bandwidth being superior to a hyperthreaded core bandwidth, so 8 full core use on a 10700k is stronger than 4 full cores and 2 hyperthreaded cores on a 10600k to get the same 8 threads.

Your gpu isn't doing you any favors at all. Either jump on the biggest/newest 'gaming' gpu you can realistically afford, or lower gaming expectations and run a Quattro gpu if you really want the most from SolidWorks.

32Gb of system ram. No 'ifs'.

NVMe OS drive.

Basically, if you build your pc around SolidWorks performance requirements, what took 2hrs will take closer to 15minutes kind of performance difference. If you build around gaming performance, you'd still be closer to 1hr unless you go all out over the top.

Makes me wonder if the BSOD's are not software generated driver glitches due to either certification or OpenGL engine conflicts. If the BSOD's happen when gaming, then yes I'd say there's an issue, but if they only happen in the 99% of the time spent in SolidWorks, could entirely be that software as the root cause, after updates.

Last edited:

m3cosmos

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
Ah. See that makes a difference.

A 10600k would be good overall, a 10700k will be the same (mostly) except in certain aspects that see high core saturation, a core bandwidth being superior to a hyperthreaded core bandwidth, so 8 full core use on a 10700k is stronger than 4 full cores and 2 hyperthreaded cores on a 10600k to get the same 8 threads.

Your gpu isn't doing you any favors at all. Either jump on the biggest/newest 'gaming' gpu you can realistically afford, or lower gaming expectations and run a Quattro gpu if you really want the most from SolidWorks.

32Gb of system ram. No 'ifs'.

NVMe OS drive.

Basically, if you build your pc around SolidWorks performance requirements, what took 2hrs will take closer to 15minutes kind of performance difference. If you build around gaming performance, you'd still be closer to 1hr unless you go all out over the top.

Makes me wonder if the BSOD's are not software generated driver glitches due to either certification or OpenGL engine conflicts. If the BSOD's happen when gaming, then yes I'd say there's an issue, but if they only happen in the 99% of the time spent in SolidWorks, could entirely be that software as the root cause, after updates.

Taking out the graphic card I think it crashes less which confuses me toward a driver issue. It was over 2 times per day vs once per day. It sometimes crashes on idle since I have an startup program with a login screen pop up upon every restart when i just let it run. I think i'm going to run this for a few weeks and decide. Budget, I'm thinking under$1000.00 or bare minimum to get it running for now.

I can't believe intel is on 10th gen and going toward 11! I'm leaning towards the i5 10600k and a $200 board. I remember the days decades ago being back in school wasting money on the AMD FX processor with some loud cooling system and raid drives. The hard drive made the computers slow. NVMe OS drive price is quite low and less cables. I think I'd go 500gb for the os as well.

Solidwork computer is not necessary. The computer crashes daily and looking at which mobo to go and perhaps a new graphic card to match.

Last edited:

m3cosmos

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
I've uninstalled display driver and still getting the BSOD which should be a display driver issue. I think the mobo is the problem. I've decided to pull the trigger and went with the z590 chip set in the case the gen 11 having faster ssd access which I recall the hard drive speed is what makes the computer feel fast.

Core i5-10600K 10th Gen
ASUS PRIME Z590-P LGA 1200 Intel Z590 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB
Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular, F
Microsoft Windows 10 Home
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Thanks everyone for your help.

m3cosmos

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
I just want to thank everyone. This new setup works great and also faster in every way. What noticed is that the focus gx PSU has 10 year warrantee, wow. My old PSU is only 5 years and now I probably need a UPS protection. I'm glad my graphic card works great since those are so $$ now a days. I wonder when the pricing will be normal again.

m3cosmos

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
Great probably over a year from now for the graphic card.

I think my computer is faster due to NVMe. This was the first time I've USB installed windows was it was so much faster than the CD's lol!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sata ssd and nvme are much the same normally, the files transfered are small enough that the fraction of a second difference isn't really a difference as the cpu can only process the data so fast. Where nvme really shine over Sata ssd is in Large file transfers, ones measured in seconds long or bigger. Then the considerably faster speeds can cut that time down in half or more.

While windows itself is a bunch of smaller files, the original CAB files are not, they are quite large, so those files take next to no time vs having to be read to ram first from cd/dvd.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS