BSOD on startup, restart, starts normally.

Theata

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
OVERVIEW:
This might be a challenge for some real computer geeks to get stuck into because I sure can't figure out why it is doing what it's doing and I'm a bench technician by day!

As the title suggests, when the computer is turned on it gets near the end of "Starting Windows" then very briefly flashes a BSOD and restarts, the system then proceeds to boot normally. Occasionally the system will do a pattern such as BSOD, BSOD, FB (Finished Boot). It also very rarely starts first time no problems. The BSOD problem is not limited to cold boots either, "restart" will also trigger the BSOD.

This has been happening for quite sometime and I have been trying to troubleshoot it myself and am finally at my witts end, technical details are as follows.

HARDWARE:
Motherboard is a GA-X58A-UD7 Rev2.0 with FB revision BIOS and latest drivers directly from Gigabyte.
RAM is 6 matching DIMMs of G.SKILL RipJaws 4GB running at 1333mhz
Intel Core i7 980X at stock freq. with an Antec KÜHLER H2O 920 CLC
Video Card is an EVGA GTX 780 ACX Edition Graphics card (problem still occurs with a Gigabyte GTX 480 and MSI GTX 560 Ti, Fresh Windows installs each time)
Boot Drive is an Intel 510 Series 250GB SSD on SATA3 Connection (changing ports to SATA 2 or the other SATA3 port has no effect nor does booting from a Mechanical Drive)
2 Seagate 3TB Drives, 1 Seagate 2TB drive 1 RAID0 2TB (Drives are 1 Samsung 1TB and 1 Seagate 1TB, this was created after the BSOD's started and has been tested and is not the problem) and finally 1 WD 1.5TB Green Drive
1 Samsung BD ROM Drive, Latest Firmware, also tested, N/C
The Power supply is a Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold

I/O DEVICES/PERIPHERALS & SOFTWARE:
1 Logitech G19 Keyboard, G9x Mouse, G35 Headset and C910 Webcam. (Latest Software for these products installed and tested with them unplugged, N/C)
1 Analog 2.1 Speaker system.
2 27" 120hz Screens on DVI-D with built in IR emitter.
Internet is via ethernet, not wireless.
Windows Firewall and MSE.
Hard Disk Sentinel.
System is in AHCI mode, IDE mode makes no difference.

STEPS TAKEN THUS FAR:
(I will likely forget some things as I have been working on it for a very long time now)

RAM test (12 Passes, Memtest86, no problems)
Windows Memdiag, Extended test, Pass.
Chkdsk /r, all disks, all pass.
Prime95, 12 hours, Stable.
Intel Burn Test 20 Passes @ 8GB, Stable.
When system BSODs nothing is logged in event viewer.
SFC, Passes (have done this an inane amount of times)
MBAM, Nothing infected
System Reinstalls, Mech drive, SSD, IDE mode, different Graphics card etc. N/C
There is also no Crash dump log file after successful restart.
Once the system starts it is rock solid and stable, I don't think I have seen it BSOD once while operating in the Windows environment, it seems to be confined to the system boot phase.

If you would like any more information feel free to ask! Any help anyone can provide is very much welcomed, a second eye being cast over the problem would be great. The person who gives the magical answer will have my undying gratitude :)

Thanks for any help you can give!

Solution
One of the Advanced Boot menu items is "Disable automatic restart on system failure" so try a few start ups by tapping F8 as you power up and select that option. If it fails to start successfully, the blue screen will stay still long enough for you to note the Stop Error message. It would be handy if we could know the numeric code - 0xx0000?? and ANY_WORDS_JOINED_UP with underscores. You could also try a completely clean boot by unticking everything in the StartUp list in System, Configuration. Open the Run box and type msconfig then press Enter to get into the settings.
One of the Advanced Boot menu items is "Disable automatic restart on system failure" so try a few start ups by tapping F8 as you power up and select that option. If it fails to start successfully, the blue screen will stay still long enough for you to note the Stop Error message. It would be handy if we could know the numeric code - 0xx0000?? and ANY_WORDS_JOINED_UP with underscores. You could also try a completely clean boot by unticking everything in the StartUp list in System, Configuration. Open the Run box and type msconfig then press Enter to get into the settings.

Solution

Theata

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013

Aha, you sir, are indeed intelligent! Unlike myself, a mere pleb... I really don't know how I haven't done that yet, the result is this lovely screenshot here:
6f6f0deee055b0fbcc8909acc513a2b8bdbe6a0d.jpg

I should probably be fired from work for not thinking of this :pt1cable:
Ohwell, this is why having a second opinion is always the best! I shall have a search for fixes myself. However if you can throw me some fixes I will still appreciate it, the less time I spend rolling some duct tape over this *censored* issue the more time I can finally use to relax on this beast! (and everyday here on in)

P.S. Clean Boot was omitted from the list in the OP but was one of the first things I did.

EDIT: I see that it is Acronis TI causing the problem. I shall give Acronis the flick and post if the issue continues (Acronis was one of the items that I have my auto-installer put on, I created the program to install all programs and drivers after a system reinstall. I also wonder why the problem wasn't fixed when I did the Clean Boot?)

Barhumbug

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Have you tried reducing the number of memory chips? I know you've run MemTest with passes, but I'd still suspect a bad chip. Try running with two DIMMS at a time and see if that makes any difference. At least it will begin the process of elimination...

Theata

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
Thank you for your wise thought. I attempted a Diagnostic start and it still BSOD'd so I removed A:TI and it has now restarted 3 times flawlessly!

To Barhumbug, thanks for your suggestion I would have tried that next if the Stop code was referring to memory. Though in my mind I would have thought that the memory would have less of a concern considering it would have been tested in IBT, Prime95, WMD & Memtest86.

Barhumbug

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Glad you found the problem.

I suggested memory as I had a similar problem myself when one of 4 DIMMS (4x1Gb) was faulty. The PC would never boot first time, but would boot flawlessly by pressing the reset button. All sticks passed Memtest. I replaced the 4 DIMMs with four new ones and all has worked since.

Now, if If I could only fix my own memory so easily...