BSOD on Wakeup

Blaze50095

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
For the past week or so, my computer has been bluescreening intermittently when it wakes up, usually when the system as been asleep for more than an hour. I tried using DDU in safe mode to remove my display drivers and did a clean install of NVIDIA drivers, updating my BIOS, updating the chipset driver, enabling/disabling Fast Boot, disabling hibernation, and updating other drivers using DriverEasy (which sent the machine into an unrecoverable boot loop that forced me to reinstall windows) and none of these have solved the problem. Recently, the BSOD doesn't even appear after the machine wakes up, the screen is just black for about 10 seconds and then it restarts. BlueScreenView says that the BSOD's were "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" errors caused by "ntoskrnl.exe" (Windows Kernel) and "nvlddmkm.sys" (NVIDIA). Any help would be much appreciated.

System Specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
i7 4790K @ 4.5 GHz
EVGA 980 Ti 6GB
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard
16 GB GDDR3 @ 1866 MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD & WD Black 2TB HDD
Corsair RM850x Power Supply

Maybe remove your 980Ti for a bit and see if the issue occurs again. Sounds like a GPU issue "nvlddmkm.sys".

Blaze50095

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

I removed the card and tried putting it to sleep and waking it up again a few times, twice for only about a minute and a third time for about 45 minutes. It hasn't crashed yet, I'm going to try a longer test again just to make sure, but this seems to have fixed it. What does this mean? Do I for sure need to replace the GPU, or are there other possible solutions?

Blaze50095

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
I am also having a problem where the system just shuts down after selecting "Apply Changes and Reboot" to applying BIOS settings. I have tried resetting the CMOS by using the jumper pins as well as removing the battery for 5 minutes, but the problem persists. I don't know if this could be related to the original problem, makes me think it could be an issue with the motherboard.