BSOD on Windows10 Startup-MULTIPLE-IRP-COMPLETE-REQUESTS. ot able to boot. Same BSOD in safe mode as well

Rajiv_3

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
Original title: BSOD on Windows10 Startup- Not able to boot. Same BSOD in safe mode as well. SFC and CHKDSK show ok.

Windows 10 Laptop:

After the recent update yesterday, my system refused to boot. On booting itself, I am getting BSOD with message: MULTIPLE-IRP-COMPLETE-REQUESTS.

Checked there is no minidump folder at c:\windows. There is no any DMP either at c:\windows.

Tried Startup repair- however it says -"Couldn't get the root cause of failed startup" Log attached. windows has disabled the system recovery as well.

SFC and CHKDSK gave all OK. Linux is working all Good on same system.

All prev recovery points have been deleted and cant use system restore as well.

Why I am perplexed because apparently there is no issue- still I cant boot- WHy?

Why Sfae mode is not booting?

Why the startup repair Says-"Couldn't get the root cause of failed startup"?? Appears WIndows 10 is absolutely helpless and usless and cant tell itself why its failing??

Startup repair log : http://speedy.sh/TGe6b/WIN-DIAG.zip

Is there any way to fix without factory reset?

Solution
The aicharger.sys is used to override the max current for a usb port to charge Apple devices faster. The older version has bugs that cause corruption of data in memory. You can update it or remove it if it is not needed.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Raj, and welcome to Tom's Hardware.

Remember the adage "What Changed" before you began getting the BSODs? Did you upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary from 1511, or some other update.
First, go to the Advanced System Settings, and under Start Up and Recovery, in the Write Debugging Info put MiniDump from the drop down menu. Then the OS will record that info in the log. Next download and install the small program called "Who Crashed" by Resplendence. Then after one or two BSOD's, open "Who Crashed" and "analyze". It will list below an easier interpretation of each BSOD, and sometimes list the faulting driver, you can update.

If you can't get to your desktop, even in safe mode, you can revert back to the previous build (? Win-10 1511) by using your System Image Repair CD if you made it, or the USB Recovery Drive if you made it, or from an Installation Disk. If none are available, you can use the Win-10 media creation tool (on a different computer) and download the Win-10 ISO disk to burn to a DVD. That has the Recovery Environment on it. From that you can go to "Choose an Option" then "Troubleshoot", and "Advanced Options" where you should find "Go Back to a Previous Build". Since you mentioned trying "startup Repair" it is one the same Blue "Advanced Options" screen as the Previous Build choice is.
I see MS gives us now only 10 days to revert to a previous build, so the time limit should be kept in mind.
If the BSOD's occurred for a completely different reason, we can possibly look at other options

Kamal_17

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
Hi John,

Many thanks for such empathetc and elaborated response. Windows was updraded from 8.1 to 10 last July 2015. So cant roll back now. I tries ssytem retor as well, but same BSOD.

It appears it is because of some driver based on MSDN articles..but how to identify that and trouble shoot?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Well, there are 6 phases in the booting process from POST to the User windows desktop. A problem in one of the earlier phases can cause you to never load the OS properly to even get to safe mode.

I'm surprised the StartUp Repair wasn't able to find the problem.

If this was caused from the Win-10 1511 to Anniversary 1607 upgrade, you have the 10 days to go back to the previous build, which would be the 1511 version. Probably the fastest way is to download the media creation tool, and make an ISO disk of Win-10, and start it. On one of the first screens is the choice to "repair the computer" which takes you into the Recovery Environment (different from the OS that Blue Screens) and go to the choice of "return to the previous build" which would be 1511. At least then you could examine the Device Manager carefully, and make sure all your drivers are up to date. I did see a similar problem caused by LogMeIn.

Kamal_17

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

Kamal_17

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
Hello Johnbi,

Thanks for offering support. The minidump file is available at http://speedy.sh/gVYmK/080616-26828-01.dmp

Alas , it offers no info as some people claim because of very nature of this typical BSOD -"Multiple IRP threads". MSDN site says- cant be traced whch driver caused crash as two driver share the same IRP port and traces are overwritten.

Kindly have a look and let me know if the dump is of any help.

PS: Somehwere dump claims that RAM may not be on good shape. However, when I did rigouros RAM testing using Linux MemTest86+ it showed me 100% PASS. (the same machine is rnning linux and I am posting this comment)

Kamal_17

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
Hello John,

Thanks again for the reply.

1. Not only startup repair, but even system restore did nothing.
2. Dump (http://speedy.sh/gVYmK/080616-26828-01.dmp) gives no idea. MSDN claims its hard to fix- not sure why its tough for MS even to identify what failed. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff558982%28v=VS.85%29.aspx
3. Seems, I havent got the 1607 upgrade yet. I tried "Previous build" under 'Advance repair as well. WIndows stated -"Not allowed"
4. I do remember there was some Asus update (My laptop is Asus Ultrabook) forced installed by WIndows that needed re-boot and system didnt work after that. Not sure how to identify what exactly was changed during that restart

5. I checked the C:\windows\drivers folder for latest changed driver- I looked for 08/05 date and coundt get anything changed on 08/05.
6. Some files were found for that date intelaudx64.cat at folder C:\windows\system32\driverstore\temp\{2a....} folder for that date. But I am not sure what should I do with that cat file.

7. Tried WIn10 ISO and booted through it. No respite .
7a. Repair your PC goes to same Blue recovery console. Same options like "Advanced Options" Command prompt/ UEFI etc, so no use
7b. I chose install windows- No use again. WIn10 doesnt have the option like "Repair the existing installation instead" unlke Win7. It assumes its fresh installation be default.
7c. If I chose upgrade (assuming it would kind of repair existing installation)- Setup denied it. It said "Upgrade cant be done from here. Boot from existing windows and then run setup"
7d. Though I dont want ever- But just noticed- Fresh copy cant be installed as well. The HDD is on GPT partition.

I tried everything that I have known- seems strcuk up now.

Still there is any way to avoid system reset? Seems to be some very small but unudentifiable problem- how to get my system running again ?

this looks like it is going to be a very old notebook. I would see if i could boot into bios and update it or turn off the smart pad in BIOS and see if it will boot.
if you can get the system to boot, i would remove the dritek keyboard filter driver, boot back into bios and enable the smart pad. Then go to the motherboard vendor and see if there are updates to the drivers. I listed the old drivers I see on the system below:
I could not read the BIOS info in the debugger, this often indicates a very old BIOS version.

i would uninstall Dritek Keyboard Filter Driver
kbfiltr.sys Wed Aug 01 20:22:22 2012
and see if the system will boot
-----------

seems to be a conflict between
ELAN PS/2 Port Smart Pad

and
Dritek Keyboard Filter Driver
klkbdflt.sys

old drivers:
ATK WMIACPI Utility
atkwmiacpi64.sys Tue Sep 06 18:44:52 2011

Kaspersky Lab Crypto Module
cm_km_w.sys Thu Dec 20 08:47:26 2012

Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Memory Participant Driver
DptfDevDram.sys Mon Dec 17 16:07:45 2012
DptfDevFan.sys Mon Dec 17 16:08:21 2012
DptfDevGen.sys Mon Dec 17 16:08:05 2012
DptfDevProc.sys Mon Dec 17 16:09:51 2012
DptfManager.sys Mon Dec 17 16:07:12 2012
iaStorA.sys Mon Mar 18 16:36:36 2013

Dritek Keyboard Filter Driver

ETD.sys Thu Aug 01 00:39:54 2013

HUAWEI Mobile Connect - Bus Enumerate Device
ew_jubusenum.sys Tue Jul 27 00:26:32 2010

HECIx64.sys Mon Jul 02 15:14:58 2012

you will want to remove
Asus Charger Driver
AiCharger.sys Thu Sep 22 19:04:40 2011
(just not likely to work, and likely to cause memory corruptions)

update: Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
L1C63x64.sys Mon Jul 15 23:56:31 2013
(if you can find a link to the driver)

Kamal_17

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
Thankand s again. WIll try it update you.

Laptop is Core-i3 3rd gen. 2 yrs old.

What it appears that Asus as pushed some driver update through windows update and that caused issue.

< what i did last night on diagnosis>

4. I do remember there was some Asus update (My laptop is Asus Ultrabook) forced installed by WIndows that needed re-boot and system didnt work after that. Not sure how to identify what exactly was changed during that restart

5. I checked the C:\windows\drivers folder for latest changed driver- I looked for 08/05 date and coundt get anything changed on 08/05.
6. Some files were found for that date intelaudx64.cat at folder C:\windows\system32\driverstore\temp\{2a....} folder for that date. But I am not sure what should I do with that cat file.

7. Tried WIn10 ISO and booted through it. No respite .
7a. Repair your PC goes to same Blue recovery console. Same options like "Advanced Options" Command prompt/ UEFI etc, so no use
7b. I chose install windows- No use again. WIn10 doesnt have the option like "Repair the existing installation instead" unlke Win7. It assumes its fresh installation be default.
7c. If I chose upgrade (assuming it would kind of repair existing installation)- Setup denied it. It said "Upgrade cant be done from here. Boot from existing windows and then run setup"
7d. Though I dont want ever- But just noticed- Fresh copy cant be installed as well. The HDD is on GPT partition.

I tried everything that I have known- seems strcuk up now.

Still there is any way to avoid system reset? Seems to be some very small but unudentifiable problem- how to get my system running again ?

Rajiv_3

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
Hi Johnbi

Tried the below

1. disabling the internal pointing device form BIOS- no Impact
2. Disbale both kbfiltr.sys and cm_km_w.sys at same time (using dos mode) and system booted up.
Will have to check again the effect which one of above 2 did actually once I am back home from office.

Should I remove AiCharger.sys as well?

The aicharger.sys is used to override the max current for a usb port to charge Apple devices faster. The older version has bugs that cause corruption of data in memory. You can update it or remove it if it is not needed.

Solution

Kamal_17

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
HI John,

Relaized that its kbfiltr.sys causing all issues. removig it boots the system, but keyboard and touchpad are disabled.

Rcentky ASUS pushed an update (Asus support device update) which is in conflict with other driver kbfiltr.sys and causing system to die- BSOD.

Secondly I found that without kbfiltr.sys keyboard an touchpad doesnt work and with kbfiltr.sys, the system dies.

Only way to boot the system after your Asus support device update is to disbale kbfiltr.sys. But this driver was last realeases in 08/2012 and no update there after.

PS: I ahve put all the recent Win10 drivers from Asus site but nothing works. ( ELAN touchpad, smart gesture, AKT Package) no benefit.

Keyboard and mouse are still not working.

RELEVANT SCREENSHOTS ATTACHED at http://speedy.sh/yZPvp/windiag.pdf

Not sure what to do next. KIndly advise.

Is there a bios update for this machine that you can install? Or m maybe reset the bios to defaults and reconfigure.
You might remove your anti virus scanner and see if you can get the keyboard filter working.
Asus might know what has to be done to get this to work. Or if it will work.