Sep 27, 2019
I've been dealing with this problem ever since I built my PC, about 7 months ago. It's like I'm playing Russian roulette every time I put my PC to sleep, but I'm almost positive that's what's causing the issue (I just don't know how I can check or fix it). Basically sometimes after booting up from sleep mode my screen will remain off so I do a hard reset of the PC, when it comes back on the spinning dots freeze, and I have to hard reset until it boots into recovery mode. Now from here I can either boot up in safe mode (Which is what I've done at the moment) or command prompt, but nothing I've tried in command prompt has ever fixed it. I end up getting frustrated and wipe my SSD clean and install Windows again. What is causing this problem, and what can I do to fix it?? In the future I'll have sleep mode deactivated, as it's too much of a headache.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/koBXGppJqWhtJJWzILMpaZl

Solution
Well I fixed it. I unplugged everything, took the battery out of the MOBO for 5 minutes, pressed and held the power button for 30 sec, plugged everything back in and it's fine. Resetting the CMOS fixed it, but how..?
Sep 27, 2019
Is there a way I can check to see what's causing errors? I've read a few posts of people with similar-ish issues but none of their answers have helped my situation.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What does the blue screen actually say? Is there any information given there? Is there a blue screen? You say that the monitor stays black, which isn't a BSoD. A bit of clarifying would be helpful as I'm a little unsure what you're actually observing.

I assume you've already done a full wipe-and-reinstall? You refer to one, but you also refer to using a system restore, so I'm not quite sure exactly what you've done and what you haven't done.

From the sounds of it, I think it's the crashing itself is the problem; the trouble rebooting into Windows is likely the result of crashing halfway through coming out of sleep, not the problem itself.

Do you by any chance have an older or low-quality power supply? Both Intel and AMD have gone to very low power sleep states in recent years and group-regulated power supplies have a great deal of trouble with these because the older designs dealt with crossloads very poorly.

Quick dmp look, further analysis needed:

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (ef)

PROCESS_NAME: csrss.exe
MODULE_NAME: ntdll
IMAGE_NAME: ntdll.dll

OSNAME: Windows 10
OSBUILD: 18362
OSSERVICEPACK: 356

----------------------------

SYSTEM_MANUFACTURER: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd
SYSTEM_PRODUCT_NAME: MS-7C02
BASEBOARD_PRODUCT: B450 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C02)

SYSTEM_VERSION: 1.0
BIOS_VENDOR: American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS_VERSION: 1.50
BIOS_DATE: 01/25/2019

Processor Version AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor
Processor Voltage 8bh - 1.1V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 3900MHz
Current Speed 3400MHz

Device Locator DIMM 1
Bank Locator P0 CHANNEL A
Speed 2133MHz
Manufacturer Unknown
Part Number CMW16GX4M2C3200C16

Device Locator DIMM 1
Bank Locator P0 CHANNEL B
Speed 2133MHz
Manufacturer Unknown
Part Number CMW16GX4M2C3200C16

----------------------------

Modules: (loaded)

amdgpio2.sys.........................Feb 7 2019
AtihdWT6.sys.........................Nov 16 2017
atikmdag.sys.........................Aug 16 2019
atikmpag.sys.........................Aug 16 2019

rt640x64.sys.........................Oct 22 2018

Sep 27, 2019
What does the blue screen actually say? Is there any information given there? Is there a blue screen? You say that the monitor stays black, which isn't a BSoD. A bit of clarifying would be helpful as I'm a little unsure what you're actually observing.

I assume you've already done a full wipe-and-reinstall? You refer to one, but you also refer to using a system restore, so I'm not quite sure exactly what you've done and what you haven't done.

From the sounds of it, I think it's the crashing itself is the problem; the trouble rebooting into Windows is likely the result of crashing halfway through coming out of sleep, not the problem itself.

Do you by any chance have an older or low-quality power supply? Both Intel and AMD have gone to very low power sleep states in recent years and group-regulated power supplies have a great deal of trouble with these because the older designs dealt with crossloads very poorly.

Sorry for not being very clear. Saying it's a BSoD would be inaccurate, as I never actually see the blue screen. This issue has happened to me multiple times since building my PC, so my last ditch effort is to completely wipe and do a clean reinstall (which doesn't really "fix" it since it keeps happening).

What happens is I'll wake my PC up from sleep mode but the monitor remains off while I can see that the pc is lit up and "awake". I have to shut it down manually, when I reboot it does a full loading circle but the second loading circle freezes, and it does this until I boot into repair mode which fixes nothing and I start it up in safe mode through the advanced options. Sfc /scannow finds no errors, when I run chkdsk /f /r it freezes at 100% and I have to hard reset the PC, still freezes.

I don't think it's a battery issue as I'm running it on an EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 850 W directly through the wall.

Sep 27, 2019
Well I fixed it. I unplugged everything, took the battery out of the MOBO for 5 minutes, pressed and held the power button for 30 sec, plugged everything back in and it's fine. Resetting the CMOS fixed it, but how..?

Solution