Question BSOD SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED ntoskrnl.exe every morning

Mar 24, 2019
Hi,
I've just bulit a pc for a first time like a week ago. And I'm getting a blue screen 1-3 times a day.
When it happens:
  • On startup after the screen from UEFI. It almost always happens when the PC was off for a long period of time. For example I'll get a blue screen in the morning when I turn it on. After that i can turn it off/on and everything works fine.
  • Sometimes it loads to windows and then gives the BSOD
  • Sometimes when I try to open a game (Forza Horizon 4)
I've tried reinstalling the system. Before that I've got a MEMORY_MANAGMENT blue screen error too.
I've installed the latest drivers for my motherboard, gpu and the latest BIOS ver.
I'm not sure If it's a software issue or a hardware one. It's hard to test because I don't have a consistent method of getting a blue screen, another from turning on my PC every morning after it was off for a few hours.

Text from BlueScreenView:
https://pastebin.com/gcAjt1W8

DxDiag:
https://pastebin.com/dLJJXiQs

Mini Dump files:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L3Ya1RsKW8mJM97288nOn8xK7R9Gfqka/view?usp=sharing

My specs:
  • MOBO: Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz (6 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
  • GPU: EVGA Geforce RTX 2070 XC Gaming
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4, 16 GB,3000MHz, CL16
  • SSD: Patriot Burst 960GB SATA3
  • PSU: SilentiumPC Vero M2 Bronze 600 W SPC166
  • CPU Cooler: CPU SilentiumPC Grandis 2 XE1436
  • Case: SilentiumPC Regnum RG4T RGB Pure Black (SPC205)
I would be grateful for some help.

Lutfij

Titan
BSOD'ing when you're in BIOS is not a good sign. Which slots have you populated the rams on the board? Speaking of board, which BIOS version are you on? Did you create the bootable installer for your OS using Windows Media Creation Tools? I would ask you to breadboard the entire system and try powering up without the discrete GPU. Regarding the cooler, might want to take a couple of turns off the cooler, in case it's too tight on the board.

Mar 24, 2019
BSOD'ing when you're in BIOS is not a good sign. Which slots have you populated the rams on the board? Speaking of board, which BIOS version are you on? Did you create the bootable installer for your OS using Windows Media Creation Tools? I would ask you to breadboard the entire system and try powering up without the discrete GPU. Regarding the cooler, might want to take a couple of turns off the cooler, in case it's too tight on the board.
It doesn’t bsod when I’m in bios. It does when system tries to load. I’m trying to test third party drivers with driver verifier.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, @Colif asked me to take a look at the dump files. I looked and have placed the info here: https://pste.eu/p/AxDQ.html

File information:032519-10453-01.dmp (Mar 25 2019 - 02:23:41)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 18 Hour(s), 12 Min(s), and 10 Sec(s)

File information:032519-6734-01.dmp (Mar 25 2019 - 02:26:01)
Bugcheck:QUOTA_UNDERFLOW (21)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: WerFault.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)

Neither of these dumps directly pointed to a specific driver so maybe driver verifier will help. It's job is to help point out a driver issue. Just be prepared in case it puts you in a boot loop! If you're not sure of what I'm talking about, please wait for further info first.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/Z390-GAMING-X-rev-10#kf
There are revisions of this MB so I can't be sure. Your BIOS looks new (Mar of 2019).

I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information soon. Please wait for more answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it can't bsod in bios, bsod is a windows error, the bios loads before windows....

Try running memtesst86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

driver verifer is a good idea but follow steps below:
Before running this,

1) search for “Create a restore point” and create a restore point

2) Create a bootable USB of Win 10 installer to use as a boot drive. download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

In case no one looks at this for a while, you can try running driver verifer, just read the instructions carefully. It is part of win 10 designed to find misbehaving drivers. It will cause BSOD, that is its job since it tests drivers.

Once it bsod, upload the minidump file and we see what it shows us.

Steps 1 & 2 are just precautions as sometimes driver verifer can put you in a boot loop. If this happen, follow these steps to get out of it

change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore and roll system back to restore point created in step 1. PC should boot normally.

TRENDING THREADS