BSOD Trying to install WIn 10

Chunka666

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
Hi, after encountering an issue with a reboot, my SSD OS files become corrupt and caused windows 10 to die on me.
Luckily i have a spare SSD for the occasion, so I made a fresh bootable install for wIn 10, removed all unnecessary components from my PC and booted the disc.
I get as far as the Win 10 icon with the spinning loading dots before hitting a BSOD
with "Your pc hit an unexpected error, don't worry we'll restart for you"
and that's as far as it goes, I've checked the RAM by running it in another PC, everything is at stock voltages, the SSD is new and completely wiped.
It was running the Win 10 image after the first BSOD whilst i recovered my files from it, so I'm ruling out Motherboard and CPU as it was working even after the files corrupted, but obviously I needed to install a fresh copy of windows as all the windows setting once opened crashed the PC (seriously corrupted) whenever the corrupted SSD was even connected to the pc, as primary or secondary boot would BSOD it, even on another PC with a full working Windows image.
The only thing I am still testing is the bootable Win 10 image, swapping to another media format to see if the image was bad.
But beyond that I am wits end, RAM has checked out fine, mobo and cpu too, I can get into BIOS and everything, it just won't initialise or install windows.

Does anyone have any ideas?

i7-2600k @ 3.4Ghz
Z68XP-UD3 Gigabyte ver 1.0
HyperX Fury 8Gb x3 (tried with different low value RAM and failed boot)
128GB Corsair ForceGS SSD/Drevo X1 PRO 256Gb SSD
GTX Palit 970

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
does the bsod give you a code so we can work out what cause is? does it mention a file name?

have you got the latest bios?

try running free version of memtest86 on ram - even though you said you tested it in another PC. It creates a bootable USB. Test 1 stick at a time, any errors are too many.

have you tried wiping the corrupted ssd? I doubt its related to other crash but you can try this:
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter
this shows all drives available, DVD/USB and hdd, make note of hdd number
type Select disk X - where X is the number of the hdd you want to wipe, change X to that number and press enter
once the drive you want to install on is chosen, type Clean

sometimes doing that on fresh ssd might also fix errors.

Chunka666

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014

The error code was 0xc0000021a - but I finally solved it
I did run memtest on the RAM sticks, the BIOS is the latest version, the boot order was changed and the SSD had been completely wiped, unpartitioned and unallocated just to be safe before I started. nothing affected the end result.

I DID finally find a solution, I had to change the master slave for the SATA to run off AHCI to avoid the BSOD whilst installing, but then my PC wouldn't boot from it, so I had to change back to IDE. now it's all running, I've used chkdsk and such and everything is ok, for now.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
IDE drives? I haven't used one of them for over 11 years now. Almost forgotten about master/slave switches on hdd. I have a PC here that uses them but I haven't looked inside it for 11 years as it had AGP GPU and when that died, PC needed to be replaced as finding replacement cards was becoming expensive.

Chunka666

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
Well in the end, the system from the BIOS has switched away from the correct controller for the installation which is why it was failing, IDE - ACHI are not backwards compatible without setting them in the registry and BIOS first, which is where my issue was.
After resetting ALL the BIOS options and checking which ACHI settings I needed, it works fine now.