[SOLVED] BSOD "Unexpected Store Exception", and now Event Viewer and Reliability Monitor are not working ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

t1z

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So I receieved my first BSOD on this PC since I purchased it a year ago. The BSOD Stop Code was "Unexpected Store Exception". The BSOD screen said it was going to collect some error info and then I can restart. I waited for a good 20 minutes for the BSOD to collect the error info and it never moved past 0%. So I did a hard reboot.

After reboot I went to check Reliability Monitor and it was blank. It still had some previous problem reports saved, but the timeline was empty.

So I went to load up Event Viewer and got the following message: "Event log service is unavailable. Verify that the service is running.". I went into services and tried to start it manually, but I ended up with the same result.

I have no clue what to do next or even where to start. Who knows what else isn't working now after that BSOD.

Solution
See if PC is more stable with the new PSU. The old one could be cause of all the problems. I didn't realise you hadn't swapped it out yet.

I doubt I would buy a pre built as you don't know when it was made, and can't pick parts. There are places that do let you pick every part (from their stock) and you can avoid pitfalls. A friend has used one such place for his last 3 computers and hasn't had any problems associated with parts picked for about 10 years now.

When 3080s were hard to get, a lot of companies used it as a way to dump stock no one would buy. Remember they had a package deal going where if you wanted a GPU you had to take something else, be it a bad PSU or a motherboard in some cases. SO MSI paired the CWT PSU with a 3080...

t1z

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Good news, I ended up getting the hx1200 to fit. I had to remove the mechanical hdd bay from the bottom of the case. And my hdd is currently sitting outside the case. But the PSU fits!! I put my 3080 back in and will see how things go today.

t1z

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well there is your trophy sir. Even though I'm still in the process of healing my PC you have been of much help and I have learned a lot.

Bit of an update here. I was able to fit that HX1200 power supply in my case by removing the HDD bay and having my mechanical drive just chilling under my case for now. I returned the 3070 to best buy and put my 3080 back in. I played the same game that would make it crash within minutes and lo and behold it still crashed. So transient power spikes doesn't seem to be the issue. I really think the 3080 is the cause of most of my problems, but probably not all of them. I am submitting a claim with MSI to get my 3080 replaced. Funny thing is, their warrant website says that my GPU serial number is invalid. SO THAT'S GREAT!! In the meantime I bought a 3080 ti off amazon, which will arrive tomorrow. I am going to just stick with the 3080ti no matter what. And if MSI happens to actually replace my "invalid" 3080 my son will get a nice upgrade.

I plan to basically replace all the components in this PC over the coming weeks, except for maybe the main board. But new memory, new nvme, and an ssd to replace my mechanical drive.

This whole thing is super frustrating because I feel like even though the 3080 seems to be at the center of all this, I still really have no damn clue what's wrong with this PC. Especially since I still had some crashes when I had the 3070 installed.

Reactions: Colif