[SOLVED] BSOD / Verifier Minidump included

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

justadude71

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
Hello,

I have been getting BSOD off and on for a while now. I first fixed the problem by updating my Evo SSD drivers, but it seemed to come back. I have run the Memtest as well as úsed Crystaldiskinfo and Samsung Magic to check the health of my system. I also ran scannow and chkdsk. All test reported no errors.

When I setup Driver Verifier the system would not even get to the Windows loading screen before reporting BSOD. I entered Safe Mode to reset it, but I did get two dumps which reported ntoskernel as the culprit(which is most likely not the case.

My System:
Intel i7-6700
ASUSTeK H170M-Plus
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 (MSI)
16 GB RAM
1 Samsung SSD 850 250GB (Windows)
1 WD 2TB HDD
1 Samsung SSD 850 500GB (Windows)

I recently updated all drivers using Driver Booster as well as downloading and installing from the ASUS and NVidia as well as checking to make sure all Disk Firmware was up to date.

Here are the dumps(two are from Driver Verifier) :
Minidump 1
Minidump 2
Minidump 3
Minidump 4

Thank you

Solution
Top one can be GPU drivers as well.

Never seen the 2nd error before... some days i wish i would see something other than the normal ones, but then I get a new one... and I am not so sure.

Its an infrequent driver error...

The WORKER_INVALID bug check has a value of 0x000000E4. This indicates that memory that should not contain an executive work item does contain such an item, or that a currently active work item was queued.
This is usually caused by a driver freeing memory which still contains an executive work item.

link

Try running memtesst86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors...

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the 2 latest dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/sUUs.html
File information:041719-5921-01.dmp (Apr 16 2019 - 18:03:02)
Bugcheck:UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION (154)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: MemCompression)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 11 Hour(s), 35 Min(s), and 14 Sec(s)

File information:041719-20109-01.dmp (Apr 17 2019 - 03:37:25)
Bugcheck:WORKER_INVALID (E4)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 33 Min(s), and 59 Sec(s)
This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Thanks. Got the memtest86 and will run it tomorrow when I am off as well as Driver Verifier. I have been thinking about reinstalling windows as my install is at least 3 years onld and given the multiple Driver Booster updates, it might help. At least it would most likely rule out software. You have me looking at 32GB RAM kits now ;)

We will see after the memtest86, although it is a medium term goal to upgrade ram.

32gb is a lot now still unless you play games like Star Citizen as it can use 24gb. Most people can still get away with 16gb

I don't see any obvious candidates for old or wrong drivers on the PC.

Fresh install will help if the problem is software. Lsat 2 fresh installs on my PC didn't fix my problems as both times it ended up being hardware.

justadude71

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
So I got over 100 errors by the second pass of memtest86 and figured there was no sense in carrying on as the errors repeated and the error number seemed rather large. The first pass yielded 25, the second about 90.

So it is new RAMK I guess.

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, that will explain the random errors.

did you check both sticks? if one works at least PC should work without the other for the time it takes to replace them. Mixing 3 sticks of ram, even if they exact same specs, could result in random errors again... just thought I mention it. Always best to get matching sets if you want more than 2.

So 32gb makes sense if you were thinking of using all 3 as at least it won't create new errors.

TRENDING THREADS