[SOLVED] BSOD when opening games (BFV, Anthem etc) Windows 10

Sep 1, 2018
Good morning friends,
This wasn't my first build but it was definitely my most expensive. I have had a few issues a long the way but this one has been nagging me for months. I have to walk away at times and I'm usually busy with work to put tons of time into fixing it. My newest upgrade was the video card. I was hoping my old 770 was the problem but nothing has changed (I needed an extremely overpriced upgrade anyway). My problem is that when I go to open games from Origin specifically BFV and Anthem I get slammed with BSOD's but they're not always the same. The most common one is Driver IQRL not less or equal and the BSOD does not complete so I don't get a file from it. It basically just locks up. I have been reading tons of the threads and I've been trying to duplicate the suggestions but to no avail. Last night I used the Windows "reset this PC" option and nothing changed. I have made sure all drivers are updated manually and through Driver Easy and I have ran memtest86 which came back with 0 errors. So there doesn't seem to be any issues with my RAM. I have also ran windows check disk and verifier. Now verifier did pop with an issue it couldn't fix (mini dump linked below). This stuck me in a loop so I had to go in with safe mode and turn verifier off. Trying to stay level headed with this issue but its definitely getting the best of me. Thanks in advance.

Minidump

Event Viewer

ASUS Maximus Hero X
Intel I7 8700 K coffee lake
RTX GFORCE 2080 Ti
Corsair H115i pro
TridentZ DDR4 3200 32gb (4x8)
Samsung 840 EVO SSD 250gb (Windows 10 Home OS)
970 EVO SSD 500gb
EVGA 850watt power supply
Viewsonic XG2700-4k (main monitor)
Dell ST2220L HDMI
Fractal R6 Case

Last edited:
Solution
bios ver 1801 is fixed usb device issue so it looks like that was probably it. 1901 is cumulative so contains 1801.

For I moment there I thot you were booting windows off the usb not creating a bootable usb with the media creation too lol never mind either way it appears the bios update was the soln.
Sep 1, 2018
This is new. I was putting windows 10 on a flash drive with the download tool and when it finished I got a BSOD (IRQL not less or equal) and of course it locked up. At least I think it was when it finished. I had my head buried in my phone and the last I saw was 94% done. I have never got a BSOD before unless I was trying to start a game. I'm going to try and put it on the usb again to see what happens.

DavidM012

Distinguished
That particular bsod can indicate a hardware fault I think it's something in the fire triangle of cpu board and mem I strongly suspect the cpu so first things first check the socket for any bent pins otherwise switch cpu. Maybe you simply got unlucky with a rare example of a cpu that is faulty doa (dead on arrival).

If that doesn't work look at the memory next. Is it a kit of 4x8gb or is it 2x 2x8gb kits? Could be 2 identical but incompatible kits. Is it qvl for the board what is the exact model number plz. Possibles there maybe you thought you were buying a 4x8 kit but the vendor gave you 2x 2x8gb therefore question where'd you buy it from? Or maybe one of the dimms is simply bad.

Test in different pairs of 2x8gb see if the bsod clears up also memtest86 the dodgy dimm if you manage to isolate it, if it's not the cpu that is, I don't think it could be the board as any serious problem & it wouldn't post.

You could also try bios update some of them are widen memory compatibility just to eliminate that but it looks like your cpu is malfunctioning. On second thoughts don't update the bios until you have eliminated the cpu as a problem don't want that freezing in the middle of the update and bricking the board too! >_< I think it most likely has to be a cpu problem.

Booting off a usb drive isolates the core system quite effectively so if windows crashes it must be a hardware problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: wrxutec
Sep 1, 2018
I updated my bios by flashing via AI Suite 3 and I was bit nervous doing it. The last thing I wanted to do was brick my mobo. I tried doing this earlier but couldn't figure out how to run the Cap file. I figured someone with the same mobo as me would have had all the same issues. Anyway... I was able to play BFV for a bit without any issues but I don't want to speak to soon. I'm not sure if I'm out of the woods yet so I'm downloading Anthem to see if I have any issues with it. I'll keep everyone updated.

gardenman

Splendid
The forums didn't notify me of this post and it should have. I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/3gFa.html

File information:042719-9250-01.dmp (Apr 27 2019 - 09:05:41)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (C4)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SiUSBXp.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 11 Sec(s)

Crash possibly caused by:
Jul 15 2010 SiUSBXp.sys USBXpress SDK

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO/
You said you updated the BIOS. You had version 1602 when this dump was created. The latest is version 1901.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

DavidM012

Distinguished
bios ver 1801 is fixed usb device issue so it looks like that was probably it. 1901 is cumulative so contains 1801.

For I moment there I thot you were booting windows off the usb not creating a bootable usb with the media creation too lol never mind either way it appears the bios update was the soln.

Solution