BSOD while installing NVIDIA drivers

Jul 19, 2018
Hello, I really need help!

Last night I was playing some games, finished with playing and turned off the PC.
Tomorrow when I turned the PC on the Blue Screen appeared showing some source of error - IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL.
I was confused because I didn't know what's the problem so I performed clean installation of the Windows 10 . Everything worked great but now let's install all the drivers. Guess what, while installing the GPU driver Blue screen appeared again and the PC restarted.
Again I performed clean installation of Windows but now I tried to install older GPU driver but the same thing happened again.

Anyone knows what's the problem ? Please I need help really fast!

Here are my PC specs:

Intel Core i5 4670K
MSI TF GTX 770 2GB DDR5
8GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM
1TB SATA 3 WD Black HDD
MSI B85M-G43

Solution
Well, I was going to suggest testing GPU in another PC as the not installing drivers thing makes it look like it could be the GPU. That black screen at boot is another sign it might be the GPU

What I would do is remove GPU and use the onboard video on the motherboard, and see if it shows a black screen too. I have a feeling it will work.

Then no need for safe mode, just log into windows, run windows update to get latest Intel Igpu drivers. Sure, this doesn't fix GPU itself but would tell us if problem is just the card.

Colif

Win 11 Master
reinstalling twice cause you got a irq error is excessive. They aren't that bad

Win 10 should have drivers for your GPU anyway, no need to install new ones.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

likely we find its caused by nvidia drivers but it helps to look.

Jul 19, 2018
Ok thanks, glad to hear there is a solution to it because i thought my gpu died.
But should I do these steps in safe mode because now when i turn on the pc after boot the screen is black so the only way i can approach these steps is either by going into safe mode or by installing the system again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Well, I was going to suggest testing GPU in another PC as the not installing drivers thing makes it look like it could be the GPU. That black screen at boot is another sign it might be the GPU

What I would do is remove GPU and use the onboard video on the motherboard, and see if it shows a black screen too. I have a feeling it will work.

Then no need for safe mode, just log into windows, run windows update to get latest Intel Igpu drivers. Sure, this doesn't fix GPU itself but would tell us if problem is just the card.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Since its a new install, go to C:\windows
change the view to show Hidden files and folders
Copy the MEMORY.dmp file from here to another folder
upload the copy from new folder to a file sharing web site and show a link here.

We might as well look at errors you got on this install. It probably blames Nviddklm.sys or DirectX.sys, both drivers are tied to GPU errors.

You can set up the PC to produce minidumps as well, its only helpful if you get more BSOD.

Jul 19, 2018
I think its gpu itself. When I use my Intel HD 4600 everything works fine but as soon as I put the GTX the screen goes black after the BOOT.
I tryed going into safe mode, removing the drivers and when I do that there is no black screen. But when the windows starts installing nvidia drivers PC restarts and black screen appears again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is a shame. At least it didn't die while you were playing games the night before. Most GPU die mid game and are a bit more obvious.

How old was it? If its a few years old, its just how GPU go. The parts I have had to replace most often in my PC are GPU and hard drives, the parts that get the most usage. Its why I normally only buy mid range cards as it doesn't hurt as much when they stop. I hope my 980 can last a few more years until I can afford to replace it.

Jul 19, 2018
I bought the PC 3 years ago on amazon. The Pc worked great and graphic card too. Tbh she worked really hard, average 5 hours a day since then (maybe even more) but its kinda weird that she died while PC was off all the night.

Jul 19, 2018
Thanks on support you gave me. You are really nice and polite guy, I really do appreciate it.
I think, even tho I just became an university student, I will earn some money and buy myself a pc with new parts.

Again thanks on everything!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Your CPU with that motherboard doesn't make a lot of sense. K processors are unlocked and allow you to over clock them to higher speeds but only on Z motherboards. It being on a B makes little sense. Its like the people who made it were using spare parts. It works fine but you cannot overclock B motherboards.

Its not a big thing but K processors tend to cost more so no point paying extra for something you can't use.

Depending how much you plan on spending on new PC, I would be more inclined to just get a new GPU for one you have, I don't think the newer CPU are that much better than what you have now. Might have more cores in them.

All you need in current PC to make it seem faster is an SSD and a new GPU.

Jul 19, 2018
I am studying to become a programmer so I will definitely need an SSD and GPU but I will probably spend good amout of money. Planning to buy an AMD Ryzen 2700X with GTX 1080. I already have list of PC parts but now I need to save some money for it.

TRENDING THREADS