leonidas19203

Commendable
Mar 24, 2018
My desktop specs are:
Asrock B450MPro4
Ryzen 5 2600X
XFXRX580 8Gb GTS
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 CL15

Recently, I tried updating to the new amd adrenaline driver 20.11.3, and my system crashed with the "system thread exception not handled" bsod showing during the tail end of the install. After the screen goes black while presumably installing the gpu drivers.

I cant run back the system to a point before the drivers failed, and while it still runs fine- radeon settings isnt recognized by it. Any attempt to either reinstall the previous version of adrenaline fails, and using DDU also shuts down the system in the same BSOD.

Any ideas?

Solution
I had the same error message with the new drivers.
  • The error was being thrown by amdkmdag.sys while uninstalling the old drivers.
  • Event viewer was not very helpful (possible I was misreading it as I'm not an expert).

I fixed it by booting into Windows 10 safe mode and enabling Windows Installer (follow the directions here). After that it installed successfully. Some unnecessary background process must have been causing a conflict with amdkmdag.sys and when you boot into safe mode that process apparently isn't running.
I wasn't able to determine what process was causing the error. Hope this method works for you.
My desktop specs are:
Asrock B450MPro4
Ryzen 5 2600X
XFXRX580 8Gb GTS
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 CL15

Recently, I tried updating to the new amd adrenaline driver 20.11.3, and my system crashed with the "system thread exception not handled" bsod showing during the tail end of the install. After the screen goes black while presumably installing the gpu drivers.

I cant run back the system to a point before the drivers failed, and while it still runs fine- radeon settings isnt recognized by it. Any attempt to either reinstall the previous version of adrenaline fails, and using DDU also shuts down the system in the same BSOD.

Any ideas?
Is this a second hand card if so it maybe fake if not and ordered from a reliable retailer the card maybe failing.

leonidas19203

Commendable
Mar 24, 2018
Yeah so rgd is probably on the right path dying card or p failure
Small update: According to GPU-Z the small overclock I was running on it is still in affect, even though radeon drivers arent working. Overclock being from 1385>1410 and 2000mhz>2050

So even though the drivers arent working, the device is still recognized properly by gpuz without fail.

honorious

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
  • The error was being thrown by amdkmdag.sys while uninstalling the old drivers.
  • Event viewer was not very helpful (possible I was misreading it as I'm not an expert).

I fixed it by booting into Windows 10 safe mode and enabling Windows Installer (follow the directions here). After that it installed successfully. Some unnecessary background process must have been causing a conflict with amdkmdag.sys and when you boot into safe mode that process apparently isn't running.
I wasn't able to determine what process was causing the error. Hope this method works for you.

Reactions: leonidas19203
Solution

leonidas19203

Commendable
Mar 24, 2018
Ill try it out, thanks!

leonidas19203

Commendable
Mar 24, 2018

I must say Im curious. This solution did work, but were you also having some error message that said "microsoft.photo could not access graphic hardware"? I still need to update to 20.11.3, but this is much better then no drivers at all.

honorious

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
I must say Im curious. This solution did work, but were you also having some error message that said "microsoft.photo could not access graphic hardware"? I still need to update to 20.11.3, but this is much better then no drivers at all.
I did not get that error.

Instead of 20.11.3 you can get 20.12.1 which is now available. I ran the entire installation process for the new driver and adrenalin software while still in safe mode with MSIServer enabled and running.

leonidas19203

Commendable
Mar 24, 2018
I did not get that error.

Instead of 20.11.3 you can get 20.12.1 which is now available. I ran the entire installation process for the new driver and adrenalin software while still in safe mode with MSIServer enabled and running.
IT WORKED! Alright, well that solves how to install drivers, but I still dont know why they dont like normally updating... Oh well Thanks man!

honorious

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Np - happy to help!

I'm just hoping that Microsoft or AMD will fix this & we don't have to repeat this laborious process for every driver update in the future. But at least there's a way to update.