budget 3D modeling CPU help.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheBunk

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
Looking for a 3D modeling build for around $1000-1200, all in. I'm new to building/component picking, but I've done a bit of research and I realize that for a modeling pc, CPU is king...and that I'm totally confused. So I've come to you good people to ask for help, and try to get the biggest bang for my buck. Most of my time is spent modeling on Rhino, so I figure that single core processing is most important and rendering would be the second priority. I found the FX-8350 is probably the most performance I could get to keep my budget, but I was thinking of splurging on a Xeon E3-1230V2. I would get substantially better single core performance, and with an added benefit of ECC, but would lose rendering speeds and would have to recalculate my budget for GPU and the rest. Basically, I want to figure out whether or not it's worth spending the money on a Xenon with a budget build, when I can possibly better spend my money elsewhere. Please help a brother out! Cheers!

Solution

Intel does more per clock than AMD. AMD is good for a budget rig, but Intel is still faster.

Bonecrushrr

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

You do realize you suggested a socket 1155 cpu and an 1150 motherboard right?

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013

I would also switch the seagate to WD.
Western digital > seagate.
Might get some higher frequency ram because CAS latency isn't a factor in 3d modeling.

logainofhades

Titan

Umm, no I didn't. The 1230 v3 is 1150 Haswell. The v2 is 1155 Ivy.

logainofhades

Titan

Intel does more per clock than AMD. AMD is good for a budget rig, but Intel is still faster.

Solution

Bonecrushrr

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

OOps, sorry my mistake

TheBunk

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

Hmm, the AMD would be a really sweet deal for a good budget gaming rig, but taking a look at the benchmarks, the only thing the 8320 can offer over a comparable Intel is rendering speed. However, rendering isn't as big a deal as view manipulation in 3d modeling. Single core operations are where it's at, and it just doesn't look like AMD can compete.

TheBunk

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

The more I think about it, Xeon seems like the right choice, especially if I upgrade to a workstation gpu later on. Thanks a lot for the help!!