Budget PC Build

Ryan Reed

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014
Been on consoles my whole life and am tired of not getting my money's worth from brick and mortar stores. Going to be used mostly for RTSs and school stuff. Have a rough draft of the components I have picked out. Any help or harsh criticisms welcome.

Everything is listed on Amazon for simplicity's sake (and I get 12 months no interest on the purchase).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/2AKOSFI5Z41S4/ref=cm_wl_rlist_go_o?

Solution
This isn't really a comment on your build specifically, but take it for what it's worth:

I used to have an Asus G75VW laptop with a mobile Geforce GTX 660M. It died, but that's beside the point - with that laptop, I could max just about everything that I played with playable framerates. An extensively modded Skyrim pulled 40FPS easily at 1080p, and all of the Crysis series was easily playable at high-to-very-high at 1080p, though with no anti-aliasing. I guess what I'm saying is that with the desktop counterpart to the 660M, I don't think you'll have any problems at all, and it will be more than enough power for any of your modern games. A lot of people around here tend to get carried away and end up recommending nothing...

Ryan Reed

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014
This is what my friend suggested to me. I'm super new to all this, so learning from scratch. How would you compare what I came up with vs his suggestion?

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
This isn't really a comment on your build specifically, but take it for what it's worth:

I used to have an Asus G75VW laptop with a mobile Geforce GTX 660M. It died, but that's beside the point - with that laptop, I could max just about everything that I played with playable framerates. An extensively modded Skyrim pulled 40FPS easily at 1080p, and all of the Crysis series was easily playable at high-to-very-high at 1080p, though with no anti-aliasing. I guess what I'm saying is that with the desktop counterpart to the 660M, I don't think you'll have any problems at all, and it will be more than enough power for any of your modern games. A lot of people around here tend to get carried away and end up recommending nothing less than a video setup that can max every new release at 4K+ resolutions, and in all honesty, a lot of those setups are just overkill for the money.

That said, I think you'd be happy with the setup you listed in your original post. If I were to change something, I'd try to step up to a GTX 760 instead of the 660, and maybe pick up some G.Skill Ripjaws X memory instead of Crucial if possible - there's a reason G.Skill fills the top-rated memory listings over at NewEgg. Don't let anyone talk you out of that power supply - my current build is a Xeon E3-1240 with a GTX 760 on that exact same power suppy, and it's one of the best units I've ever owned, and with power to spare.

Just my opinion on the matter. Take it for what it's worth. :)

EDIT:
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GDDR5-2GB-WINDFORCE-GV-N760OC-2GD-REV2-0/dp/B00DGM8B6O/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1408230664&sr=1-2&keywords=gtx+760
For $219, you probably won't beat that... Gigabyte's WindForce series seems to be well-respected around here, and I think you'd be happier with a 760 than the older 660.

Solution

justaguywithagun

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009

yeah, i guess you didnt notice how it said "SUPERCLOCKED"? that EVGA 660 is most definitely not a stock clocked model.

ive been reading through threads in which you post (by coincidence), Mr./Mrs. Legend and i must say, even if it means i get banned, that you need to stop posting. you've given some really poor advice in various threads.

maybe im just being critical.

that being said, the quality of that rig is perfectly fine. should work without a hitch and deliver good performance, although nothing mind-blowing.

@ryan reed, you could probably save a little cash and drop down to a 550w xfx for example though the seasonic unit you selected is a very trustworthy unit

oh... stahhp interfering with me please :)

Ryan Reed

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014

Much thanks. So it would be worth the extra $20? I'm not trying to penny pinch, just get the most for my money at a reasonable level.

Would going with the 760 change that assessment?

Ryan Reed

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014
Alright then, with the input I've gotten from you guys, I've upgraded to the 760 for the $20 more. Should everyhing else stay the same?

Appreciate the help, this has been quite a learning experience.

Yes, everything is fine, with the 760 you're now looking a high settings on most games :)