Budget PC for student

Oct 13, 2018
Hi!

Im currently using an old i5 530m (yes, a first gen) laptop for mostly my college needs, but lately im getting ask to do some light video and photo editing and its actually nervewracking to do it on this pc, i was looking into trying to get a budget pc, but don't know how what i should be trying to get.

My budget is around 300 usd (kinda broke atm), so i guess an used system is a must, searching around i stumbled upon an hp elitedesk g1 that claims to have an intel i7-4790 and 8 gbs of ram, seller says it's only missing the hdd but don't know anything about the other components, price is $200 usd.

Is the i7 4790 still a viable cpu? I know im using an older one right now, but dont know what i should be trying to get

Would this system be a good starting point ? (missing components) Is the price alright ? Or should i try go get something else ? If so, what should be aiming for ?

Thanks for your time and regards!

Solution
An i7 4790 will certainly get you through the day of video editing while being pretty OK (so long as you aren't doing 4k), but for 200 dollars you could probably get more/spend less. If you decide to get the prebuilt, look on ebay for an old top-dog GPU to put in, such as the 7970/290/GTX 780ti (or maybe even 690!). Either way, remember to stick to your budget roughly and keep what's important to you in mind.

heroequalsman

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
An i7 4790 will certainly get you through the day of video editing while being pretty OK (so long as you aren't doing 4k), but for 200 dollars you could probably get more/spend less. If you decide to get the prebuilt, look on ebay for an old top-dog GPU to put in, such as the 7970/290/GTX 780ti (or maybe even 690!). Either way, remember to stick to your budget roughly and keep what's important to you in mind.

Solution