Budget Upgrade on Desktop ACER ASPIRE M5811

Bavique3

Prominent
Apr 2, 2017
Hi guys,
I am an engineering student, looking to go to mechanical engineering at University.

I have seen some great articles on Tom's hardware, which helped me a lot when I was looking for some opinions and reviews on technical components and other stuff I wanted to purchase.

Currently, I am not too sure what to go for, which is why, I have created this post.

As I have said, I am looking to upgrade my desktop pc.
I am looking to be capable to do autoCAD and Solidworks work renderings, and projects on it, as well as some gaming on Battlefield 3 and the latest Tomb Raider if possible.

My Desktop PC features the following hardware:

User Benchmarks: Game 13%, Desk 36%, Work 16%

CPU: Intel Core i5 650 - 44.1%

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 530 - 4.2%

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB - 57.6%

RAM: Transcend JM1333KLU-2G 2x2GB - 31.7%

MBD: Acer Aspire M5811

A full CPU-Z report can be accessed here: https://goo.gl/BS4Roc

In my experience throughout the time I have had this computer, I felt it short of doing some photoshopping and some average gaming.
I feel as the computer has some lack of power, which I think is due to its weak PSU, from the feedback I have seen on some websites as being the culprit.

The GPU is not something that is able to take minimum 3d or light graphical processing work, as you can see it has a very awful score in the benchmarks.

The computer has also some graphical problems, as it does not produce a sharp picture even in a resolution of 85 Hz @ 1360x768.

The computer is about 6 or 7 years old, and it is a fairly decent computer for multimedia and basic stuff.

This is why, I am thinking on upgrading some of its components to at least be able to run some 3d software, without too much hassle, and also be able to play a little when I need.

I've been looking to upgrade my graphics board and power supply to do the job.

In terms of GPU, I have seen the GTX 660 and GTX 750, also I have seen some HD 7870 and HD 7970 or HD7770. This are on budget and not too bad in some reviews.

In terms of PSU, I am looking something capable to support the GPU, I have seen the Corsairs and Seasonic brands as being the good quality ones.

I have already bought a combo keyboard and mouse from Cooler Master which is for gaming. I wasn't even thinking on buying it, but for £26 it is not that bad, assuming it is a keyboard and mouse set. Initially I was just looking to replace my old junky keyboard, and my HP mouse to be able to do work quickly.
This combo does the job, and also lets me do some average gaming.

All in all, I am looking into just going on a budget upgrade for my desktop, not going too much past £170 on some used GPU, or brand new, and also a power supply.

I would like to hear the community's feedback to give me some guidance on buying the right components.

Solution
Your system is bit to dated. I would suggest using your case and HD. Replace everything else if you want to game. This system would be highly upgradable. Also your PCI slot may not support new cards you posted unless the bios has bios updates that can support the newer PCIE cards.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-7100 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor (£109.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£67.80 @ Alza)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£51.99 @ Eclipse Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 2GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card (£89.94 @ Aria PC)
Power...
Your system is bit to dated. I would suggest using your case and HD. Replace everything else if you want to game. This system would be highly upgradable. Also your PCI slot may not support new cards you posted unless the bios has bios updates that can support the newer PCIE cards.

CPU: Intel Core i3-7100 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor (£109.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£67.80 @ Alza)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£51.99 @ Eclipse Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 2GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card (£89.94 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£47.17 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £366.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-02 18:35 BST+0100

Solution

Bavique3

Prominent
Apr 2, 2017
@elbert

The Bios has an update here: https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Unlocked-Bios-unlock-for-Aspire-M5811

But I think it wouldn't still be capable to use a new gpu like the ones I said on it.

I really did not want to change the motherboard and the CPU now, I really just wanted to change the PSU and GPU.

However, I think I will be forced to change the whole, as it would not contribute to only change the two components with the outdated ones there.

You could try just the GPU and PSU first. You may get lucky but if not then you will have the get the rest. If you want an Nvidia the 1050 will cost a bit more and the PSU I suggest can run either easliy. Just get this instead of the rx460.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB ACX 2.0 Video Card (£109.97 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £109.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-02 21:32 BST+0100

Bavique3

Prominent
Apr 2, 2017
@elbert

I might buy both from eBay, and will check for the return policy, so if it does not work on the pc, then I just give them back.

I liked the RX460, actually it was the one I've seen on eBay, the Asus RX460 dual fan, but yours is better for me.

If the GPU does not work, then I will follow your selections for all the components, and upgrade the whole.

Thanks for your help mate.

The seasonic is a good tier 2 quality PSU. Its on par quality wise with the Antec earthwatt. Get the Seasonic or stick with the Antec I suggested. I wouldn't suggest using anything lower quality wise for gaming. A lot of PSU's are only sutible for office PC's and OEM builds.