Buffalo Unveils 256GB IDE-Based SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

naterandrews

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Odd that such a high capacity drive would be aimed at that market? High price tag and slower speeds- why bother upgrading to that instead of a whole new setup (sata300/600 for that price?)

rollerdisco

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]rollerdisco[/nom]Well the performance might not be a huge boost, but battery life should go up and heat should drop.[/citation]
Assuming the $1,220 price is a typo.

G

This must be geared towards the industrial market. A lot of machines like a press brake, shear, laser cutter, etc use a lot of legacy equipment (serial ports, ide connections, etc). Given some of the crazy environments this type of equipment is found in, it will be a blessing to move away from mechanical drives that could be infiltrated by dust particles. Plus businesses are less likely to bat an eye towards dropping $1,000 into a $150,000 machine.

rollerdisco

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Sadly it's not a typo. Another website is saying they will be availabe in Japan for 106,300 Yen.... 106,300Yen = $1,214US. What a stupid product.[/citation]
WOW, yeah i agree. Dumb

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Wow, fail. If you can't afford to upgrade your IDE board, you sure as hell can't afford this drive. Maybe a market for some old dedicated servers that can't easily be upgraded, but wow that is a high price.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I suspect this is for business users that have industrial-grade tough book pc's for specific uses in the field that cost a couple G's.

Some of these companies have proprietary programs and they can't use newer software so they only need a more rugged replacement hard drive to get by.

We still have a couple of applications where I work that are running on Windows 3.1 and 486 cpu's and replacing the failing hard drives has been a bit of a battle.

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]stapleton87[/nom]Yep, upgrade your computer without buy an expensive new CPU and motherboard. Just buy a SSD for only $1220![/citation]
With only a IDE connector!

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I can NOT believe such a market exists.

people are buying brand new sli powered quad core laptops and STILL skipping an SSD because they're too much!

I had interest for a moment till I had seen the price then I was turned off. Sure this is great for us who keep using old clunkers or finally decide to use the one remaining IDE port on our newer rigs when all the sata ports are used and don't want to buy a raid controller.

This drive is "Weird Al" Yankovic - Christmas At Ground Zero" on your wallet.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
What a waste of r/d for something so stupid. I guess for those who can't let go of their old ass laptop. The same guy that would spend that much money to cap a ssd's performance is the same guy would put a toilet seat cover and toilet paper in his outhouse 'cause it was supposedly keeping up with the times.

a_mall

Distinguished
May 3, 2008
Why on earth would I buy $1200 drive for a dying/outdated laptop. Rather get a new laptop which could efficiently use the speed boost given by a SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.