buffer underrun

G

I have an HP cd-writer 9500i 12X8X32X. I have a DVD-ROM Toshiba SD-M1402. I can not burn at 12X disc to disc and it is killing me. I purchased the 12X writer for a reason. I have tried a few things like DMA in device manager on the DVD I think I tried it with DMA on both and on each. Nothing I try works. I have a Gateway Athlon 1ghz machine with 384mb of RAM. I have plenty of HDD space. I have both drives on the secondary controller with the CD-RW as master. I tried an older 24X CD-ROM drive but it did not do any better. My DVD is supposed to be a 40X CD-ROM. I am at a loss. I have pretty much given up on this drive ever being able to do disc to disc at 12X. I can do 12X from the HDD so it must be the DVD, RIGHT? I use My CD because HP sucks and they did not get the drive EZ-CD ready. My question is: Is it the DVD drive? Anyone know a way to get it to work? What will work if the DVD is not capable? Would Nero or CloneCD help, I have never seen either so I would be willing to try if they would improve my chances?

G

Not sure where I read this but here goes:

Set up your burner and dvd/cd drive on SEPARATE ide channels instead of as master and slave on the same ide channel.

i.e. on ide channel one have your hd drive as master and dvd/cd rom as slave.

Then on ide channel 2 set up your hp cd burner as master.

As i recall, this is supposed to improve cd to burner burn times.

Hey, won't hurt to try. Please post back and let know if it works.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It is your CDROM drive causing the trouble. Even a Creative 52x, for example, is rated at about 7x when doing on-the-fly copying. One solution is to copy an image to your hard drive first, or just burn at a slower speed.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

I will try the DVD on the Primary controller this weekend. I do not believe I tried it that becuse of cable length but I may be able to do some rangling. I had read somewhere that it was not good for video playback to have the DVD on the primary as a slave....but I burn at least one cd day and I whatch DVD movies on my computer at the most once a month. I will let you know.....

G

TechTV has an article on this question at www.techtv.com I'm not sure if it was covered on the show "Call For Help" or "The Screen Savers". I read some of it a couple of weeks ago but can't help.

G

If you put the HD (master) and the DVD (slave)in the same channel, the CD-RW in another channel (master) and enable DMA in the device settings under windows for the HD, the DVD and the CD-RW you should be able to burn without buffer underruns. The DVD should be able to read at 12x even at the beginning of the CD.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Adaptec states that setting your drive to DMA will cause underruns. And you can't coppy disk to disk at that speed with an audio cd because cd audio extraction is not fast enough. For data cd's to go disk to disk make sure that your CDRW and CDROM are on different cables, as IDE can only access one device at a time.

Suicide is painless...........

G

With my old HP burner I got buffer underruns when DMA was not enabled, not when it was, check that out.

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My Plextor manual specifically states to ENABLE DMA. Adaptec says DMA CAUSES underruns? That doesn't make sense. Since DMA increases data throughput, it should reduce underruns, not cause them.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Adaptec said that enabling DMA allowed other programs to randomly access the drives and interupt the flow of data, or something to that effect. Don't ask me, I only told you what they said!

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Who knows? You could probably talk to 6 different vendors, and get 6 different answers! I've always heard a lot of different opinions about DMA...

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

G

What was the matter you had with your burner then? It's so strange. Maybe yours was the only possible issue in which disabling DMA was better.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like I said, it was on Adaptec's Roxiowin newsletter, as an issue affecting CD writing in Creator (4.0, 3.0). So obviously they had seen a substantial number of reports from people using their software. This information can be found on their website, along with quiet a few other "fixes" for buffer underruns. Don't kill the messenger!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The major causes of buffer underruns are:
1) CD to CD coppies where the reader does not flow data fast enough to the writer to keep the buffer full. This is most common with scratched CD's, readers that have slow access times, and when recording audio cd's. The reason it occurs during Audio cd coppies more frequently is that most readers are capable of CD audio extraction, or "ripping", only at much lower speeds (I have a memorex 48x that only rips at 4x)!

G

i use asimware hotburn (sux real big rocks!) and to prevent buffer under run i have to disable the screensaver, and all programs except systray and explorer (win95 osr2)
and i still cant copy unless i make an iso image on my hd.
hotburn doesn't use the buffer built into the burner.
also dma has to be disabled on the burner.

who is more foolish...
the fool, or the fool that takes his advice?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by boxcarwillie on 01/21/01 00:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

warmfuzzies

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well ol bean, if you do try Nero as I did, It will inform you that errors can occur if the slave and master cd/dvd/cdr are connected to the same ide port.
So I changed mine, using the CD/DVD as master on the secondary, and the CDR as slave on the primary, it all works pretty well now. Hope this helps