Question Bug check code 307/278

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Hi there, i have a little problem.

First there is my setup

R5 3600 with aio
rtx 2070 ventus
16gb 3000mhz ram
aorus b450 elite motherboard
corsair rm650x psu
kingston a2000 nvme ssd
aoc c27g1 144hz freesync monitor

My problem is that in last 2 moths(it happened 4 times) my pc randomly restarts when im browsing web or playing games, it just freezes i hear voices on discord and just restarts, or it just freezes and restarts(without voicess of my friends on discord) after this i go to event viewer and i get kernel power 41 error and 2types of bug check codes one is 307 and other is 278, i found out that 278 is something with drivers so i reinstalled them trought ddu but it doesnt help aaand i didnt found what is 307 code. Is there any possible fix or something? Im asking because ive got problem with freesync too, it flickers a lot and i reclaim the monitor but problem still presists so it possibly can be something with GPU.

btw. my setup is 8 months old and ive got no problems with fps or performance problems, only bad freesync and this bug check codes

edit: in some games i have half vsync turned on(locked on 72fps, half of refresh rate because my freesync isnt working) and gpu usage is about 70% but when this freeze came it goes to 100% in a sec.(i was playing forza horizon 4 now and i have opened hw monitor on second monitor, that is how i find out, btw all tempatures are good)

Thanks for any help and answers.

Last edited:

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
okay, so i should replace network adapter and if it doesnt help can i fix this problem by replacing gpu(maybe it can fix my freesync problem)? second thing im 100%sure its not RAM problem because i run memtest without any problem third thing it cant be psu in my opinion, psu is not even at 50% of wattage usage in full load of components, last thing it can be my motherboard.

okay first im gonna replace network adapter because of easiest possible fix, ill be back with news

Thanks to all who help :)

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Like my pc is working normally when browsing internet, watching videos, streams and playing games like league of legends, csgo but when i turn on some aaa game like forza horizon and game with better graphic my pc crashes, i must start forza with adapter connected and i must unplug it when im in game because i cant start forza without internet

I'd like to try driver verifier.

Please run driver verifier using the following settings for 48 hours.
  • Special Pool
  • Force IRQL checking
  • Pool Tracking
  • Deadlock Detection
  • Security Checks
  • Miscellaneous Checks
  • Power framework delay fuzzing
  • DDI compliance checking

Warning: driver verifier could cause boot issues and/or performance issues.

Resetting driver verifier options (recommended in this order)
  1. In normal mode open an administrator command prompt and enter the below command
  2. In safe mode open an administrator command prompt and enter the below command
  3. On 3 boot failures, you'll boot automatically to the recovery options,
    • click Troubleshoot
    • go to the advanced options
    • choose command prompt
    • enter the below command
  4. Boot with the recovery media, see above 4 steps in option 3.
  5. Via the recovery options or recovery media, select a restore point prior enabling driver verifier
Code:
verifier /reset

Crashed when running driver verifier
  1. Reset driver verifier
  2. Boot in normal mode if necessary
  3. Upload the dump file (minidump or kernel dump, either is fine)

Extra information about driver verifier
When you run driver verifier, there are two things you're looking out for
  1. Driver verifier won't find any driver violating something and thus in the time you need to run it there won't be a crash
  2. Driver verifier will find a driver violating something and thus the system will crash.

The end result of driver verifier is either of the two, but when driver verifier finds something your system will BSOD.

Driver verifier essentially validates selected drivers on selected actions, this validation adds some delay to actions performed in the background which could result in a performance decrease that many people notice. This is called stress testing drivers and depending on quite a few factors this performance decrease is worse for some than for others, and some won't even notice a difference.

Depending on the drivers selected, it is possible that some of the selected drivers are so-called 'boot' or 'system' drivers, meaning they load when your system is booting. If these drivers don't pass a validation check, your system will crash, but since the drivers are loading at boot, your system will basically be in a boot loop. That is one of the risks involved and the most important one. Of course, there are various methods to recover from it.

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Thanks for all help from you, actually this what you type didnt help but i probably fix this problem by disabling fast boot option in windows settings and it actually helps(i watch video on youtube that this option didnt even help in faster boot just causes problems in some pc rigs), i was playing forza for like 2 hours and it didnt crashes. I post when something bring my problem back, again, thanks

If you read my instructions, you would realize it's meant to help by crashing your system. It's a tool that allows to find drivers that are causing problems by crashing your system. If driver verifier finds any driver causing problems, driver verifier crashes your system.

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020

• Special Pool
  • Force IRQL checking
  • Pool Tracking
  • Deadlock Detection
  • Security Checks
  • Miscellaneous Checks

1. In normal mode open an administrator command prompt and enter the below command
  2. In safe mode open an administrator command prompt and enter the below command
    • click Troubleshoot
    • choose command prompt
  5. Via the recovery options or recovery media, select a restore point prior enabling driver verifier
Code:
verifier /reset

1. Reset driver verifier

1. Driver verifier won't find any driver violating something and thus in the time you need to run it there won't be a crash
  2. Driver verifier will find a driver violating something and thus the system will crash.
The end result of driver verifier is either of the two, but when driver verifier finds something your system will BSOD.

Driver verifier essentially validates selected drivers on selected actions, this validation adds some delay to actions performed in the background which could result in a performance decrease that many people notice. This is called stress testing drivers and depending on quite a few factors this performance decrease is worse for some than for others, and some won't even notice a difference.

Depending on the drivers selected, it is possible that some of the selected drivers are so-called 'boot' or 'system' drivers, meaning they load when your system is booting. If these drivers don't pass a validation check, your system will crash, but since the drivers are loading at boot, your system will basically be in a boot loop. That is one of the risks involved and the most important one. Of course, there are various methods to recover from it.
Okay im gonna start the test, recovery media means usb with windows 10? and everything what u type here is writed step by step on this site wich is in Driver verifier typed red color?

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020

• Special Pool
  • Force IRQL checking
  • Pool Tracking
  • Deadlock Detection
  • Security Checks
  • Miscellaneous Checks

• click Troubleshoot
    • choose command prompt
Code:
verifier /reset

1. Reset driver verifier

Hey man, im here after a long time. Ive lost all hope so i was going to try to run driver verifier, i did all what you type here but after restart my pc starts behaving strange, so i trype verifeier /restart in cmd and everything si good now. My question is how do i know driver verifier is running and wich of options should i check here(im attaching a screenshot)

View: https://imgur.com/a/hYHi7Vx

Thanks for answer.

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
THanks for answer. So pc will be working as normally but it can crash due driver verifier? When driver verifier is running my pc is lagging so much, is it normal?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Driver verifeir puts drivers into situations they shouldn't be in, it is designed to make them crash.
It will lag system down. I wouldn't run it for more than a day. If it doesn't crash it that time, we have to look elsewhere for cause of problems.

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Okay, is it safe to run driver verifier trought night? When some driver crashes it will display that driver and turn off the driver verifier or it will be still working and crashing everytime?

Colif

Win 11 Master
i believe you need to shut it off after it causes a crash. it says to do it as soon as it crashes. Or next morning

hmm, i didn't know they suggest running it for 36 hours
The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.
If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

so let it run all night and see what happens.

did you create a system restore point before starting it?
type "restore" then open "create a restore point"
create a new Restore Point now for C-drive
as it can sometimes leave you in a boot loop. their link suggests you do it. If you haven't I would stop it now, create one and then run it overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.