Bug In 'Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain' Halts Game Progress In Certain Missions

Status
Not open for further replies.

yronnen

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
That's why, as tempting as it is, I never buy PC games on release day or pre-release. Wait a couple of months to clean out all the bugs (unless it's Batman Arkham Knight, when apparently you need to wait half a year), and get the game then at a lower price...

AGx-07_162

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
That's why, as tempting as it is, I never buy PC games on release day or pre-release. Wait a couple of months to clean out all the bugs (unless it's Batman Arkham Knight, when apparently you need to wait half a year), and get the game then at a lower price...

This isn't just a PC issue.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
This is why I play dayz. Cheep and they told me it would be broken going into it.

People continue to pay big bucks for games, expecting that they will be bug free and BAM issues all over. Back in my day, new games worked how they were supposed to. Seriously, now its like they rely on the fact that we have internet and just figure they will issue a patch. Couldnt do that back in the day.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
This is why i dont buy games on day 1. The culture of release a game you know is buggy and expect people to pay $60-70 for it is a joke, and i will not support it.

Start releasing finished games, and ill start buying them on day 1 again.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
This is why I play dayz. Cheep and they told me it would be broken going into it.

People continue to pay big bucks for games, expecting that they will be bug free and BAM issues all over. Back in my day, new games worked how they were supposed to. Seriously, now its like they rely on the fact that we have internet and just figure they will issue a patch. Couldnt do that back in the day.

back in my day, and the code for a game and all the art could fit in sub 4mb of space, 16mb for the really big games but that was mostly art.

i would love to see how much code an old snes game required and a current AAA game, just so we can get a good grasp of how hard this is to debug, because apparently a lot of people dont understand this at all.

mwryder55

Distinguished
Even in the old days of DOS and Windows 3.1 there were games released with killer bugs. Ultima Underworld comes to mind. We had to use a BBS over a dial-up modem to get the patches. These weren't today's enornous files that replaced the existing files, but small files that replaced the faulty part of the file, not all of it.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

that, i believe is an issue with the way some engines like unreal handle updates.
also, with today's internet, you dont need to make a patch that replaces parts of a game's coding, you can make a patch that replaces all of certain files so there is no chance the patch will fail that way, granted, when a 1gb a day or several times a day, or even several gb every week comes along those are problematic to me.

Even in the old days of DOS and Windows 3.1 there were games released with killer bugs. Ultima Underworld comes to mind. We had to use a BBS over a dial-up modem to get the patches. These weren't today's enornous files that replaced the existing files, but small files that replaced the faulty part of the file, not all of it.

I remember running RTP for quite a few games... <sigh of nostalgia>

Status
Not open for further replies.