build a new pc, having trouble detecting my boot devices and cant install windows

Jan 21, 2019
Got today my new gears;
i9-9900k
asus z390-f gaming mobo
ddr4 2666mhz 2x8gb hyperx ram
rtx 2080 oc from asus
Nzxt kraken x72
Superflower leader titanuim 750w psu

So, I built my pc and everything went smooth. First boot and got into bios everything was detected etc.

Using my old pcs 2x1tb hdd and 1x1tb ssd, my old windows was installed in another ssd which is still in my old pc as i'm planing to keep it as streaming pc.

I didn't have windows in this ssd so i used a usb stick as boot device and started to install windows 10 to the ssd and after a while it was done and it rebooted but still had the usb stick as a boot device so another reboot, to bios and tried to change my boot device to the ssd but could not. There was no other options for boot devices except the usb drive.

I have erased everything from the ssd couple of times now, not helping.

So after fighting for about 3 hours with windows and installing drivers from the same stick and even updated bios to the newest version still nothing.

tried google and found out it might help to enable csm from the bios, got the windows to boot from ssd but it couldn't run some windows files nor troubleshoot it / fix it. (error code 0xc000000e)

Trying now a differnt usb port to see what that does.

Please help, it means a wolrd to me. Im desperate.

Solution
Remove all drives from the machine prior to installing windows 10 except of course for the drive where you intend to install. Ensure you have the latest install files.

Here are the steps to take ( I'm sure you are aware of most, but I'll leave them all together.)

Create an up to date USB install media by following the steps outlined here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Then disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings, CSM is enabled. and SATA mode set to AHCI.

On the motherboard boot...
Remove all drives from the machine prior to installing windows 10 except of course for the drive where you intend to install. Ensure you have the latest install files.

Here are the steps to take ( I'm sure you are aware of most, but I'll leave them all together.)

Create an up to date USB install media by following the steps outlined here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Then disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings, CSM is enabled. and SATA mode set to AHCI.

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies BOTH the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive, or Windows Boot Manager: Drive description and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.

Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete".

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, partitions the drive using the GPT and begins the installation.

Solution
Jan 21, 2019
Thanks for your participation. This was a huge help.

Did all of this and started a new windows installation and now everything is going smooth..

Few last questions. Can i turn cms off at this point nor is there something it does for my other hdds when i connect them back in?

Thanks for one last time, you were a huge help!

Compatibility Support Module
The Compatibility Support Module (CSM) is a component of the UEFI firmware that provides legacy BIOS compatibility by emulating a BIOS environment, allowing legacy operating systems and some option ROMs that do not support UEFI to still be used.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?82326-What-is-CSM-and-do-I-need-it-enabled

Thus it is not necessary where the OS boots a GPT style disk on UEFI firmware like your board supplies.