Build (Gaming PC, <=$3K) Help? Lots of questions!

Hello. Thanks for taking a look. First of all, to get some items out of the way, when considering price, this is sans peripherals. I'll deal with that separately (Though if you have some solid 24-25" g-sync/freesync options, do tell).

What I have thus far:
Intel i7-6700K ($214)
Windows 10 Pro ($0, MS Dreamspark)
960GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD ($200)

REQUIREMENTS/WANTS

I'll mention this here: I'm thinking I'd like small for physical size, so if ITX can be accommodated, by all means, but if not I'd like to avoid going any bigger than mATX without compelling reason.

I want to be able to play my games on high framerates, ideally with a sync-tech monitor, on the best settings possible. With that said, I'm largely a casual at this point, but GTAV is presently the most punishing game I have that I would play with any frequency. Futureproofing should probably be based on the assumption that I'll get future GTA releases. They're cathartic.

I would be driving at MINIMUM, 2x 2560x1440 monitors. I'm undecided about 4K, but please assume that worst case I will have 1x 4K and 1x 2K, with gaming happening only on the primary monitor.

I want RAM until diminishing returns, which I suspect is 16GB, but I'm happy to go for 32GB. I will probably be running at least one VM as I'm a compsci student.

For drive config, as you probably have figured out, the 960 is for games, and I'll probably get 120-250 for boot.

Which brings me to my most pressing problem. Boot drive. Do I:
PCI SSD?
RAID SSD?
High-end SSD?

Finally, I want to know what the best graphics card for my purposes is. I have no issues with doing SLI if that's what needs to happen, but about the only thing I absolutely will not spring for is a Titan X. That's just too much. This one has really stumped me. So many people saying different things, ideally I'd like to get a consensus.

STORE DEMOGRAPHIC INFO:

Canada
Memory Express for most components, case sourced from somewhere I can get it in Canada
I like having the return option. However, don't let that limit you. Canada-accessible is the only thing that's required because good luck getting something shipped here.

$3K CAD. Less is better but obviously I'd like to do this right the first time, so you know, whatever. It'd be nice to have some to spare for monitors though.

ONE LAST DETAIL:

So, I understand this may simply be impossible given what I've requested, so don't sweat it, but I'd like to try and make this build a small one. mATX or ITX preferable.... I've had my eye on the Manta cases. I'd ideally like something smaller than an Antec 302 at any rate.

It's a lot to take in, but thank you very much for reading this and any assistance. My intention here can basically be summed up by Woodrow Wilson: The build to end all builds.

Solution
To be honest, I haven't seen much of a difference between my Samsung 750 evo and my m.2 drive in terms of boot time. (My motherboard BIOS screen takes longer to pass than windows loading)
But sustained sequential read speeds are very handy if you have things that need them, Games also haven't changed much in loading time other than games with huge resource files like battlefield & guild wars, but for the price, If I could do it again, I'd rather get a few high capacity "standard" SSD drives than an m.2.

andy1234569

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
well let me tell you, if u want to play games with the 960 with dual 1440p monitors nevertheless a 4k monitor, HAHAHAHAHAHAH, but if your using the monitors for something else, fair enough, but the 960s problem with 2 gigs of vram would tax it in many games, i recommend going with a gtx 1060 if you can push out the extra 100$ for it, it would be much more of a better choice which you wont regret

Faux_Grey

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

You didn't read the post did you?
960 is his SSD.
(slaps over the head)

Hang on OP. Will edit this post now with suggestions.

So. You're in the market for mini-itx/micro-atx.

I would firstly suggest Micro-ATX due to your screen requirements.
Are those screens going to be 60hz or 144hz screens?

That will dictate your build.

60hz screens, you can get away with a single GTX 1080. -mini-itx
If 120+Hz you'll need two cards. -micro-atx

What type of screens will you be using?

60hz screens: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Rd8RvV (wait for the Galax SNPR cards to be added, much pretty, very wow)

144hz screens: (Micro case) http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/2YJzf8 (dual blower GPUs, helps heat out the case.)

honestly going for 4k, 144Hz + 2k I wouldn't go µATX or ITX, cooling will be a nightmare

I'd go with something like that (depending on your dsiplay, scrap one of the 1080s):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $214.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ PC Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($214.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($219.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($198.46 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $200.00)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW DT GAMING Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($869.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW DT GAMING Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($869.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($164.99 @ Memory Express)
Total (Not Yet Purchased): $2848.38
Total (Purchased): $414.00
Total: $3262.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-07 14:37 EDT-0400

I mean... that's more or less in my budget... but what concession would I have to make if I went single-card? What about if I just ran 2kx2k?

if you're looking at game benchmarks, in 4k a 1080 delivers on average 45-75fps (depending on the game)
in most cases around 60fps as this was what the card was designed for: gaming at 4k/60Hz
going for a 4k/144Hz display the GPU would need to roughly put out 1.5-2 times that fps
so a single card doesn't cut it.

for 4k/60Hz or 2k/144Hz a single 1080 is more than fine
4k/144Hz needs either more power or reduced settings
of course it probably makes more sense going with a single 1080 now and upgrade when a 1180 or 1180Ti (or a 1280) is released (depending on how much stronger these cards will be) if you're willig to cut back at some graphic settings / resolution for now
there's just no GPU that can feed a 4k/144Hz display @maxsettings as of now

if for gaming a lower resolution is acceptable to you then the whole discussion is hypothetical anyway

Faux_Grey

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
To be honest, I haven't seen much of a difference between my Samsung 750 evo and my m.2 drive in terms of boot time. (My motherboard BIOS screen takes longer to pass than windows loading)
But sustained sequential read speeds are very handy if you have things that need them, Games also haven't changed much in loading time other than games with huge resource files like battlefield & guild wars, but for the price, If I could do it again, I'd rather get a few high capacity "standard" SSD drives than an m.2.

Solution