Question Is my new M2 NVMe SSD overheating?

Jun 16, 2024
My primary drive was an intel nvme ssd that I’ve had for almost 5 years, but it started disappearing from my BIOS every now and again, so I decided to buy a new primary driver, the WD sn850x 2TB which has a heat sink.

I got a repair shop to clone the old one and everything was going fine until I woke up and the PC was unresponsive. I turned it off and when I tried to turn it on again it would just turn on and turn off before hitting the BIOS.

I took out the new WD ssd and it was able to boot to the BIOS. Put it back in, same thing with turning off again. Left out the WD for 30 min and it started working again.

Thought that might be a glitch and I could move on, but a couple days later while I’m actually using the PC, the screen remains on where it was, but the PC is unresponsive. Mouse and keyboard don’t work. The rgb light on mouse are on so I unplug and plug it back in, but rgb lights don’t turn on.

I manually turn off the PC and same deal again where it won’t get to the BIOS before turning itself off. So I take out the WD and leave it out for 30 min and put it back in.

This time I was thinking how to monitor and log the temps to understand what’s happening. As soon as I turned it on I went to open hardware monitor and I saw that it doesn’t see the temp for NVMe ssds (I checked online to confirm). When I looked at Windows disk management it said the temp was 46C. After I was downloading a different monitoring tool and right after finishing and initializing the downloaded file it froze again.

I’ve taken out the WD again and don’t know what to do.

Any clue as to what might be wrong and how to narrow it down?

At the moment I’m thinking of buying another SSD to clone yet again. Should I get a Samsung instead?

This has happened 3 times and the first time I was asleep while it became irresponsive. The second two times happened shortly after a download was finished. I’m not sure if that makes any sense since I downloaded things previously fine.

Please let me know what you think. I have to have a plan of action since I work on this PC.

Tinderbox (UK)

Commendable
Feb 22, 2022
46C is a great temp, if it`s 60+ then start to worry, ssd`s get hottest when they are written too, try the free CrystalDiskMark app if you want to check your maximum temps, HWiNFO64 is a great app to monitor temps at it will show your maximum.

Jun 16, 2024
Similar problems with 2 different SSDs?

My inclination is that it's not an SSD issue...barring further evidence.

Nothing wrong with 46 degrees. Or 56.

Would you really say it’s similar though if the previous ssd would disappear from BIOS while the other one would prevent the PC from turning on and from the BIOS appearing at all? And keeping it out for 30 minutes and placing back in gets it to start up for another go. Feels like different issues.

Jun 16, 2024
46C is a great temp, if it`s 60+ then start to worry, ssd`s get hottest when they are written too, try the free CrystalDiskMark app if you want to check your maximum temps, HWiNFO64 is a great app to monitor temps at it will show your maximum.

Ok thanks. What other checks should I do with the app just to have a well rounded analysis?

Jun 16, 2024
What is your precise motherboard mfg and model? And what are the rest of your full specs?

Mobo is gigabyte x570 UD
RTX 2080 Super for video card
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU
Primary drive - WD black sn850x HS 2TB
Secondary drive ST3000DM008
RAM I’m not sure. 32gb I think Corsair.

Mobo is gigabyte x570 UD
RTX 2080 Super for video card
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU
Primary drive - WD black sn850x HS 2TB
Secondary drive ST3000DM008
RAM I’m not sure. 32gb I think Corsair.
And what is your power supply mfg. and model?
Also, which BIOS version / date is your motherboard on? You can either check it directly from the BIOS, or by running "System Information" from the Windows search field on the taskbar.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-UD-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Jun 16, 2024

I ran crystaldiskmark and crystaldiskinfo.
Let me know if other settings are better.

image.png

Jun 16, 2024
Could be a bad mount did the motherboard come with any stand offs ? In the box as nvme usually have a stand off so that it doesn't bend contact pins

This is the installed WD. By standoff you mean the screw you place in? As you can see, it's in. Let me know if something seems amiss. Sorry if the image is not the best.

image.pngebp&width=2880&height=1008

Jun 16, 2024
Or, the SSD was not cloned perfectly and the unresponsiveness is due to missing / corrupt files?

Have you tried a refresh Windows install?

A clean reinstallation and update of Windows while keeping your personal data and most Windows settings intact

1) Will this keep all my apps installed? I know it says personal data, but will everything be configured the same? Like the desktop will look the same with the same shortcuts and apps etc.

2) Is there a way to to check for corrupt files and fix them?

Also, would lack of responsiveness from the OS make it so that a mouse that was unplugged and plugged back in would not have power going to it?

Jun 16, 2024
Jun 16, 2024
Also, I ran an extended diagnostic on the WD drive via the WD Dashboard and it said no errors at the end. Highest temp on CrystaldiskInfo during the extended diagnostic was 62C. It's back down to 51C atm.

Jun 16, 2024
Yes looks fine only thing it can be really is a dodgy board or os since its a cloned os i would bet os

Is there a way to check if it’s the board and specify what component is the issue?

And for the OS, are there repair options which might remedy the issue?

Like maybe the “sfc /scannow” command or the CHKDSK utility?

Is there a way to check if it’s the board and specify what component is the issue?

And for the OS, are there repair options which might remedy the issue?

Like maybe the “sfc /scannow” command or the CHKDSK utility?
You can try SFC scan now has there been any motherboard changes etc apart from the nvme.

Boards are tricky to diagnose you could try another nvme and see if you can boot in with windows fresh copy see if it does the same thing if it still hangs then it's most likely a faulty nvme or motherboard

Jun 16, 2024
You can try SFC scan now has there been any motherboard changes etc apart from the nvme.

Boards are tricky to diagnose you could try another nvme and see if you can boot in with windows fresh copy see if it does the same thing if it still hangs then it's most likely a faulty nvme or motherboard

I’ve run sfc scannow and it said it repaired some files but I’ve read before that’s pretty common.

With regards to a new nvme, I have my old one that I want to keep as a backup and don’t want to overwrite the new one.

I wonder if I can borrow one from the repair shop…

I’ve run sfc scannow and it said it repaired some files but I’ve read before that’s pretty common.

With regards to a new nvme, I have my old one that I want to keep as a backup and don’t want to overwrite the new one.

I wonder if I can borrow one from the repair shop…
I would back up all files to a different drive regardless you want to keep.

Also which os is it 7/10/11

TRENDING THREADS