Question Apple M1 Air versus Samsung Galaxy Book 2 Pro (i5-1240P) ?

Macbeth_77

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2013
As per the title, I'm looking at some refurbished laptops to replace my 10-year old Macbook Pro. I don't want to spend more than £500.

Currently looking at either the M1 Air or Book 2 Pro. I don't have an iPhone, so cross-compatability between devices isn't a need for me. I don't use my laptop to game, just to work on documents and browse the web (I do watch a lot of media on it, so a decent screen is preferred). The Pro 2 is coming out as cheaper (£355 vs £490) at the moment, though I am concerned about longevity. My current Mac has lasted very well, so I am leaning towards the M1 Air.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and happy to take suggestions on other laptops in the same price region!

As per the title, I'm looking at some refurbished laptops to replace my 10-year old Macbook Pro. I don't want to spend more than £500.

Currently looking at either the M1 Air or Book 2 Pro. I don't have an iPhone, so cross-compatability between devices isn't a need for me. I don't use my laptop to game, just to work on documents and browse the web (I do watch a lot of media on it, so a decent screen is preferred). The Pro 2 is coming out as cheaper (£355 vs £490) at the moment, though I am concerned about longevity. My current Mac has lasted very well, so I am leaning towards the M1 Air.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and happy to take suggestions on other laptops in the same price region!
The M1 air is a very dated and limited platform at this point. You want something with at least 16gb of ram as well, preferably 32 if you are looking to keep it a while. Don't listen to apple and their 8gb of ram on a Mac is equal to 16gb on a normal PC crap. It was just an excuse for them to cheap out on the ram, and have people upgrade more often, more RAM is always more RAM. If these are your two options and the galaxy book has 16gb of ram or more, I would go with that. How much storage does it have? Are there any other options you would be looking at?

Last edited:

Macbeth_77

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2013
Thanks both. The Galaxy Book2 Pro I was looking at only had 8GB of RAM but I can get a Book2 Pro360 with 16GB RAM (and 512GB storage) for under £600. Goes a bit over budget for me, but seems like a good laptop. Has the i7-1260P as well.

Happy to take any suggestions on what you might recommend as I don't have anything else in the mix at the moment!

Thanks both. The Galaxy Book2 Pro I was looking at only had 8GB of RAM but I can get a Book2 Pro360 with 16GB RAM (and 512GB storage) for under £600. Goes a bit over budget for me, but seems like a good laptop. Has the i7-1260P as well.

Happy to take any suggestions on what you might recommend as I don't have anything else in the mix at the moment!
Are you looking for a thin and light laptop? I found this and it seems like a decent deal, it has a few blemishes but its priced well.

Lenovo Yoga Slim