[Build help] Graphics card issues

Rustmyer

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
Hey guys, built my first PC in a really long time and I seem to have run into an issue with my video card. For some reason I cannot get video out of it. It powers up and the fans run fine, but my monitor just doesn't seem to recognize that it's plugged in to anything and goes to sleep. I've got it plugged directly into the power supply and use a HDMI cable to connect to my monitor. Everything seems to working other than that, but with no video I can't be sure. :(

Parts list:

Radeon rp 380: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZFNDRFC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

EVGA 600B Bronze: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EON40CS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Asus m5 A97: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008V9959O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01

Any and all help is appreciated.

Heathclor

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
I know This might sound condescending but do you have the HDMI pluged into the motherboard or the graphics card? It should be plugged into the graphics card. I only ask because I have made the mistake before.

Rustmyer

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
No worries, it doesn't sound condescending. It is definitely in the video card. I can assure this since the motherboard I got has no on-board video support. :p

DustinV

Honorable
is your monitor set to hdmi? I know mine can switch to DVI, hdmi, and vgi input. So if its set to read dvi and you have hdmi plugged it it will read it like there is no cable there

You just got done building this pc correct? you havnt been on it yet?
If so, you just cant get your computer to post. Its not the monitors fault at all, so you need to check all cables inside your pc to see they are plugged all the way in, and even reseat the graphics card and ram then try again

DustinV

Honorable

So basically you are going to ignore everything I said??? ok have fun with a dead pc. they make great foot rests

Rustmyer

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
I'm not ignoring everything you said. When I replied there was only the first half of your post up. As far as the rest goes I have double checked the wires they're all plugged in tight. As far as the ram and the video card I've taken them both out and put them back in already. I'm assuming that's what you mean by reset.

Rustmyer

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
Yes it is newly built. I just finished getting all the hardware put together yesterday. As far as turning it on goes, I've turned it on, everything seems to power up fine, all the lights and fans come on, including the fans on the video card.

Rustmyer

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
Update: Thank you for the help guys, I figured out what was wrong, I was being extremely stupid with the USB cable. To save some face I'll just leave it at that. But I truly do appreciate the help.

DustinV

Honorable

you mean hdmi cable? you dont plug a monitor in with usb
So you literally didnt have your monitor plugged in the entire time when you said there is no way it could be the cable, rofl