Build It Yourself: A Mini-ITX Gaming System For Just Over $500

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]Aabechh[/nom]@blazorthon Ouch. So you're saying this won't cut it? http://www.austin.net.au/molex-to- [...] -15cm.html[/citation]

It only gives a single ground and a +5V line. It skips out on both +12V and the +3.3V. Maybe whatever drive you intend to use will be fine, but IDK. Storage drives tend to have their power requirements typed on their label somewhere. If whatever drive you'd use that for only uses +5V, then it should be fine, but if it uses +12V or +3.3V and not just +5V, then it is not a good idea AFAIK.

G

I found a large-scale image from eBay, stating nothing more than 5V = 1.3A. Oh happy day!

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I have been seeing these 160 w to 200 max fanless power supplies that just plug into the motherboard. I think it was at www.mini-box.com or some such place.

Their called PicoPSU's and are not full PSU's. Their DC-DC power supplies that take a 12v DC power input and convert it to the 12/5/3.3 voltages that the PC's need. The 12V power input comes from an external power brick that itself pulls from an AC outlet. Essentially its the same idea as how laptops work, the AC-DC components are on the outside with only DC-DC components being on the inside, it allows for a smaller form factor.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I think what I was trying to say is that if you were not building an overpowered computer a 160-200 Watt Fanless power supply might make it even quiter. Besides that it might free up some space. Space is at a premium in a Mini-ITX Computer System. Not only does the power supply take up space, so does that big bundle of wires going to the 20+4 main Power Plug. You should be able to make an even smaller computer that way. Although you might lose some air circulation from the exhause of the power supply fan.

Maybe Tom's Hardware could test one of these things out.

Here is a good link:

http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-160-XT

bonabnz

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Better build with CPU: A8-5600K, Case:CM Elite 120 Adv (w/ USB 3.0 front, more Harddisk/SSD space), Mobo: MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 (w/ WiFi, Bluetooth, SATA 6GB x4, USB 3.0 Front and Near Port, All Full Caps).

[citation][nom]bonabnz[/nom]Better build with CPU: A8-5600K, Case:CM Elite 120 Adv (w/ USB 3.0 front, more Harddisk/SSD space), Mobo: MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 (w/ WiFi, Bluetooth, SATA 6GB x4, USB 3.0 Front and Near Port, All Full Caps).[/citation]

That APU is better only in well-threaded CPU workloads. It's be far worse in lightly threaded CPU workloads and in gaming performance due to its much weaker graphics.

bonabnz

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]That APU is better only in well-threaded CPU workloads. It's be far worse in lightly threaded CPU workloads and in gaming performance due to its much weaker graphics.[/citation]

Please see this link:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/A8-5600K-vs-Pentium-G2120-CPU-Review/1656/13

The performance level of the A8-5600K’s integrated video on DiRT3 was also comparable to that of a
GeForce GT 440 with 1 GB. Only the integrated video of the A10-5800K was faster than the integrated
video of the A8-5600K (by 28%); the integrated video of the A8-5600K was 8% faster than the A8-3870 16% faster than the A8-3850, and 157% faster than the Pentium G2120. The Core i3-2100 can’t run this game, since its video engine is DirectX 10.1, not DirectX 11.

[citation][nom]bonabnz[/nom]Please see this link:http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/art [...] ew/1656/13The performance level of the A8-5600K’s integrated video on DiRT3 was also comparable to that of aGeForce GT 440 with 1 GB. Only the integrated video of the A10-5800K was faster than the integratedvideo of the A8-5600K (by 28%); the integrated video of the A8-5600K was 8% faster than the A8-3870 16% faster than the A8-3850, and 157% faster than the Pentium G2120. The Core i3-2100 can’t run this game, since its video engine is DirectX 10.1, not DirectX 11.[/citation]

You seem very confused because this article used a Pentium G2120 with a Radeon 7750. The Radeon 7750 has far superior gaming performance than the Radeon 7660D of the A8-5600K regardless of memory performance and is a DX11.1 GPU.

bonabnz

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]You seem very confused because this article used a Pentium with a Radeon 7750. The Radeon 7750 has far superior gaming performance than the Radeon 7660D of the A8-5600K regardless of memory performance and is a DX11.1 GPU.[/citation]
W/ the same price of the CPU, i don't have to confuse. I don't have to buy dedicated Radeon 7750 + G2120. I'm writing about VALUE: CM Elite 120 Adv better, A8-5600K better value. And if I have to put Radeon 7750, still better A8-5600K because CM Elite 120 Adv has space to put it.

[citation][nom]bonabnz[/nom]W/ the same price of the CPU, i don't have to confuse. I don't have to buy dedicated Radeon 7750 + G2120. I'm writing about VALUE: CM Elite 120 Adv better, A8-5600K better value. And if I have to put Radeon 7750, still better A8-5600K because CM Elite 120 Adv has space to put it.[/citation]

The point of this system was a MiniITX build. Your build is completely irrelevant for this article's purpose because it's not a Mini-ITX build due to its much larger case. Having an A8 instead of a Pentium is going to increase load power consumption. That means more heat. That's not an issue whatsoever for a regular case, but a Mini-ITX system has much less cooling capability than even a decent Micro-ATX case.

bonabnz

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]The point of this system was a MiniITX build. Your build is completely irrelevant for this article's purpose because it's not a Mini-ITX build due to its much larger case. Having an A8 instead of a Pentium is going to increase load power consumption. That means more heat. That's not an issue whatsoever for a regular case, but a Mini-ITX system has much less cooling capability than even a decent Micro-ATX case.[/citation]

Sorry, you are wrong! Mobo MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 is MINI-ITX form factor, and CM Elite 120 Adv is MINI-ITX support only!

[citation][nom]bonabnz[/nom]Sorry, you are wrong! Mobo MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 is MINI-ITX form factor, and CM Elite 120 Adv is MINI-ITX support only![/citation]

I misread, my bad. That still doesn't refute what I said about power consumption. Also, since your case doesn't ship with a PSU, your build wouldn't even power on. The cost of a PSU would make your build more expensive than the article's build.

bonabnz

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]I misread, my bad. That still doesn't refute what I said about power consumption. Also, since your case doesn't ship with a PSU, your build wouldn't even power on. The cost of a PSU would make your build more expensive than the article's build.[/citation]
Yeah... you're wrong again... of course more value to what i choose, i don't have to buy Radeon 7750 which cost $109 mean while i can buy Corsair or Seasonic 400watt PSU (w/ Bronze certified) just 61$ only. And, the most important, the Chieftec FI-01W case with built-in PSU have NO BRONZE Certified and has 200watt only. If fact, you never right answer to give me some comment!

[citation][nom]bonabnz[/nom]Yeah... you're wrong again... of course more value to what i choose, i don't have to buy Radeon 7750 which cost $109 mean while i can buy Corsair or Seasonic 400watt PSU (w/ Bronze certified) just 61$ only. And, the most important, the Chieftec FI-01W case with built-in PSU have NO BRONZE Certified and has 200watt only. If fact, you never right answer to give me some comment![/citation]

By not buying the 7750 you are making a trade-off to get much weaker gaming performance. The value of your build is subjective, not objective. It is you who is wrong because of that. Furthermore, although you can buy a PSU, that'll make it more expensive than Tom's build with less performance. Power efficiency takes a back seat when power consumption is already this low, especially when you're literally paying more money for less performance.

From an objective point of view, your build has a mere fraction of the gaming value that Tom's has. Even better, until I pointed out the PSU mistake, your build had no PSU- so it wouldn't even work. I fail to see how a very expensive paper weight has more value than Tom's entry level gaming system. It's not like it even has much value. It's still very expensive for its performance. However, it runs whereas yours does not. Including both a Radeon 7750 and a PSU will make it far more expensive than Tom's for comparable performance, making it again lose in value.

Tom's case's PSU doesn't need to be 80+ Bronze certified nor more than a 200W model to run for this job. It isn't great, but it gets the job done.

vintageliew

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Looking at Chieftec vs Winsis, it seems like these builds are quite different (at least aesthetically-speaking). Any chance of getting the white chieftec in the US? (The white Winsis does not look the same..)

lemmo

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Do you have better data on power consumption at idle and under load, comparing to other B75 boards and perhaps some H77/Z77 boards?

e.g. how does this MSI board compare to the Gigabyte GA-B75N, the ASRock B75M-ITX or the Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI?

:)

G

You forgot to mention a $100 for a cheap operating system.... Windows 7 or Windows 8 OEM @ newegg.com

Not that I wouldn't like to see proof, but I think that we can get a pretty good idea of how they'd compare by looking at their feature sets. Anything with significantly more features than the chipset alone is going to have a little more power consumption, not that it'll be a huge difference.

moonzy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Too cramped. You have the GPU's fan pulling where the PSU's fan is pulling. It's a tug-of-war in a PC case set-up. No way would I build this for myself or anyone.
AMD APU build without fan-cooled GPU will be OK for entry level gaming AND modular PSU.
The cable management will need to be an hours long project too with a accommodating case, which, from what I can see, may not be this one.
Anyway, even with the xigmatech cooler it still looks like an OEM. lol.

moonzy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Also, when AMD's APU solution like the A10 are available, why are websites purposely avoiding them?
I have an AMD A6 laptop with dual graphics (Crossfire) and that slim laptop can actually GAME and GAME well at basic 1366 X 768 resolution - Which is actually nice enough for actual enjoyment.
I'll not argue this out. Sony's new PS4 will HAMMER the performance data home to the slackers.
And I'm not being a troll, but what else can you say?

[citation][nom]moonzy[/nom]Also, when AMD's APU solution like the A10 are available, why are websites purposely avoiding them?I have an AMD A6 laptop with dual graphics (Crossfire) and that slim laptop can actually GAME and GAME well at basic 1366 X 768 resolution - Which is actually nice enough for actual enjoyment.I'll not argue this out. Sony's new PS4 will HAMMER the performance data home to the slackers.And I'm not being a troll, but what else can you say?[/citation]

The card used in the build is better than any Crossfire solution between AMD's current top desktop APUs and any compatible discrete cards. The APU in the PS4 is in a completely different class and to be fair, it did sacrifice CPU performance for GPU performance to an extreme. It's not really directly comparable because in a PC environment, it would perform very poorly as a result of a huge CPU bottle-neck that the console doesn't necessarily have the same issues with.

Status
Not open for further replies.