Question Build Time... Help please?

itsame

Honorable
Apr 12, 2016
It's time for me to finally upgrade my primary computer into the next gen.

Current build:
GTX- 750ti
AMD FX- 8350
24GB RAM (combined)
Windows 10

I'm looking at the B-450 Tomahawk Max II and the Ryzen 5 5600X (or would the 3600X be sufficient?)

I don't do much gaming, and don't really care about graphics anyways. I switch between some TVs for gaming since my monitor is pretty small.
Games I do play are Civ VI, Fire Pro Wrestling Returns, and occasionally some Dragon's Dogma or Dragon's Quest XI.

I do a lot of graphic design and music recording, so that's where the bulk of my RAM will go, I'm thinking 32-64gb?

Also, any thought on Windows 11?

Thanks in advance for any input and advice.

kanewolf

Titan
It's time for me to finally upgrade my primary computer into the next gen.

Current build:
GTX- 750ti
AMD FX- 8350
24GB RAM (combined)
Windows 10

I'm looking at the B-450 Tomahawk Max II and the Ryzen 5 5600X (or would the 3600X be sufficient?)

I don't do much gaming, and don't really care about graphics anyways. I switch between some TVs for gaming since my monitor is pretty small.
Games I do play are Civ VI, Fire Pro Wrestling Returns, and occasionally some Dragon's Dogma or Dragon's Quest XI.

I do a lot of graphic design and music recording, so that's where the bulk of my RAM will go, I'm thinking 32-64gb?

Also, any thought on Windows 11?

Thanks in advance for any input and advice.
I wouldn't get a 3600 today and I wouldn't recommend Windows 11 over Windows 10.
For both graphic design and music, large fast storage is just as important as RAM. So a 2 TB SSD would be recommended.

itsame

Honorable
Apr 12, 2016
I guess listing my current RAM was pointless since it'd need to be replaced with DDR-4 anyway.
But you're saying stick to the 5600x?
What about RAM?
I have PLENTY of storage options, I'm not worried at all about SSDs or the like.

kanewolf

Titan
I guess listing my current RAM was pointless since it'd need to be replaced with DDR-4 anyway.
But you're saying stick to the 5600x?
What about RAM?
I have PLENTY of storage options, I'm not worried at all about SSDs or the like.
2x16GB for RAM -- 3200 speed, don't spend a lot extra for faster. If you want to spend more get the 64GB -- 2x32GB.
Yes, stick with the 5600 it is the price/performance sweet spot for AMD.
For higher single thread performance, you need to look at Intel 12th gen CPUs.