Build Your Own AIO PC With Desktop Components

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the picture, though...

I'm 99% positive those are mounting holes for VESA.

I have no idea how it can provide structural integrity to that, but if it can, that's a pretty cool option!

My only complaint (Aside from wanting a 1440p or 120Hz option as well as a Matte screen option) is that it only has one DVI and one VGA.

Give me at least one other port, preferably a displayport, so that I can use this as a second monitor and then swing it around for when guests come over. I would absolutely buy it if that were the case.

Hmm, I looked again ( at the pics on Mono's own site, ) and it does look like it's got the hole spacing, but like you said, I don't know how plastic mesh could support the weight. Unless that back side is a metal grill, I wouldn't trust it for anything. It's also right below the GPU extension, so you're limited in the stands that can actually mount there.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
The larger screen/chassis should be able to support longer cards. eg the 27" screen has 5" more horizontally. 245mm (~9.5") limits the cards this chassis can hold.

beninchi

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I actually really like the concept, and hope the idea of DIY AIOs takes off. I think I like the Loop L5 case better than this, but the Loop was limited to thin mini ITX and Intel, and no discrete GPU.

That would be very nice - I was bummed to see my 670 wouldn't fit in there. (EVGA FTW, built on a 680 PCB, so it's the one of the only 670s that wouldn't.)

I have to say that I'm seriously considering this thing, though... I really wish the 27" one was even 1440p, TN, just so that it would match the size and resolution of my main monitor. If it were, I would buy it in a second and move my media PC into it just to not have to worry about constantly moving a computer that currently isn't in a case.

Well, I just sent them this email:

Hey Ellen!

I wasn't sure if I should contact you, Simon, Andy, or Billy with this, so I figured since you're the closest to customer relations, I'd let you figure out who to let me bother.

First of all, I just wanted to say that I love that you guys give support for those of us who like quiet computers. I'm also a silence addict, though being a gamer as well, I went down the... slightly less affordable route, and have custom water cooling. Total silence now, aside from some unfortunate, and rather bad, coil whine that I never noticed with my GPU's stock cooler on.

Anyways, I was just reading about your guys' new all in one chassis, and I have to say, I'm really impressed with it. I love the design, I think it looks fairly sleek, and I kinda want one. I just have a few questions for you.

1) Looking at the pictures, there are four holes in the back of the grill. They look very much like standard VESA mounts. Are they? If so, that makes this a much more attractive option for me. If they are, how are they reinforced to be able to support the monitor and computer? On a related note to that, is the back grill metal or plastic?

2) I know this is just a first run of what will be a wonderful product, and I'm sure that the response to this is going to be that you can't comment on future products, but I have two 'wishlist' questions that I'd love to know the answer to.

First, does the 27" monitor have an expanded design to allow for longer graphics cards? If not, are there plans for the future revision to have so? The reason I ask is because the brand new GTX 970 / 980 is basically THE perfect card to put in there, since it runs extraordinarily cool and quiet and has a blower style heatsink... but it's 266.7mm, so it wouldn't fit.

Second, are there plans to make a 27" version with a 1440p screen, and if not, would it be something you strongly consider sending to development? I know there are a LOT of us just on Tom's Hardware who would buy this product in an instant if it were - the 1080p resolution is one of the things holding me back from buying it, as at 27" it's a bit too little, and I'd like it to match the resolution of my main monitor.

If you do, please please please give it a display port or HDMI port as well, so that it can have one hooked up to the graphics card at all times and a free (non-VGA) port so it can be used as a secondary monitor for those of us crazy enough to spend that much money on electronics. (Yes, I'm being serious. I want this as a secondary monitor that I can put my media PC in to use when friends come over / that I can pick up and take to friends' houses.)

If you came out with a Mono Pro AIO that was only 27", had a 1440p screen, slightly adjusted back shroud to allow for longer graphics cards since there's room for it behind a 27" screen, and (this is just hopeful thinking now) support for VESA mounting, even if it were through an adapter for the bottom mount.... I would happily sell my current 24", 120Hz secondary monitor and pay upwards of $650 for it.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond to my rather odd questions, but I'm excited about your product and want it to be something that I can recommend to people looking for a gaming computer on the forums I contribute to, and as something that I can buy for myself - being able to have a computer on my ergotron arms that I can just swing over and turn on when friends come over would be HUGE for me.

Don't worry overly much about response time to this email - I'd much rather get detailed responses from the people whose jurisdiction they fall under than a response in a day or two.

Thank you very, very much,

Here's hoping that the responses come back showing all six's. :D

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
With Maxwell's performance/watt, we may very well see a gtx 980 or 970 on a smaller pcb (if they can cram all the memory on there) as they have a smaller tdp than the gtx 670.

You could see a 7-inch 970 on the stock PCB - it's the same size and a very similar layout to the 760. Considering how popular Asus and Evga's "condensed" GTX 670 and 760 cards have been, and that with how efficient the 970 is, I'm guessing we're going to see a mini 970 with that cooler very, very soon.

DaveinNZ

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
This is a train wreck. It's so ugly my eyeballs are trying to escape from my face. This is the reason industrial design costs money - it avoids the creation of horror shows like this.

Yeah, the back of it is not appealing...

But it gives good airflow, and from the front, it looks just fine.

Read the actual linked article and you'll see it's really not that bad. Could it have looked a bit better? Sure... but for what it does, this thing is a HUGE step up over the previous options, like this monstrosity:

Garry Chen

Reputable
May 16, 2014
I think the drive mount options are stupid

Because most of people will still have 3.5 HDD beside their 2.5 SSD and you only can mount one 3.5 inch and two 2.5 inch thing in there

Well probably gonna buy a 5.25 inch bracket

...SSDs could literally get velcro-ed anywhere they can fit. No need to have them siting in a pretty little adapter, they have no moving parts.

InvalidError

Titan
With so many large holes, I would be a little concerned about how quickly dust will accumulate in there. I am not a fan of doing detail-cleaning of every component; I am a much bigger fan of filtered fans so I rarely need to clean anything beyond those.

schultzter

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
I think this could be really interesting if back cover was modular - so if I used the onboard graphics card then I could swap out that part of the cover with something flat. Ditto for the power supply if I decided to use something external. Otherwise I think I'd just mount a SFF to the VESA points on a regular monitor!

Status
Not open for further replies.