Build Your Own: Single-Slot GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've been waiting to read it for a while. it was very good.
one aspect of gcn based radeons is that despite their low power use in entry level cards, all of them use higher amount of pwoer during bluray playback. both kepler and maxwell (gm107) use quite less. a single slot, low profile operation, a card with gpu like gm107 will be very suitable for htpc. not to mention the sheer amount of gaming performance advantage over other gfx card around the same power use. hopefully, the future 20nm gpus will introduce even more performance under the same power use.

I get a little cautious about making holes in multi layer pcbs and using metal screws. Without knowing the power plane structure and clearances, you gamble shorting out internal layers if you are not lucky/careful.-Bruce

jamesedgeuk2000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I think I have noticed a flaw with what you guys did here. The card only supply's power to the fan it doesn't regulate PWM or sense RPM, so am I correct in assuming that it's using voltage regulation to control fan speed and therefore doing it blind based on it's temperature curve? If so then as you have replaced the standard fan with a much weaker one you should really consider raising the fan curve to compensate.

CodeMatias

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
Why not use a K2000 cooler? also nvidia small die so it might work better, and K2000 is ~80W so it should cool the 750ti just fine.

I'm sorry, but this is NOT a "low profile" card. It is single-slot, but not low-profile. It needs to be able to fit in an InWin BK655.300 (or similar mITX case) to be low-profile. For that, the circuit board itself must be short.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Why not use a K2000 cooler? also nvidia small die so it might work better, and K2000 is ~80W so it should cool the 750ti just fine.
The cooler doesn't fit. Some caps and coils are too high and the distance between the holes is not compatible. I've tried other FirePro cards but it was not possible too...

The card only supply's power to the fan it doesn't regulate PWM or sense RPM, so am I correct in assuming that it's using voltage regulation to control fan speed
This fan is voltage controlled, right. The goal was to use Boost to limit the temps and show you that you lost only a little bit performance. I had no non-Ti in my hands to ise it. This slower card is really perfect for this kind of cooling :(

I get a little cautious about making holes in multi layer pcbs and using metal screws.
It is one of the rules, that around this holes is nothing. You have always 1 mm reserve and more ;)

Pedasc

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
Just to echo Onus the AMD card they took the cooler off of is "low profile". This card still has a full size PCB, it is not "low profile".

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
The goal was only to show, that a low-profile and single-slot card might work. It's clear that nobody can take a saw and modify the reference board... :D

chuck norris does not need a saw to modify the reference nvidia pcb down to low profile form factor. he simply throws the card in the air and roundhouse kicks it to cutoff the excess height and into to the motherboard's pcie x16 slot. the shock wave from the roundhouse kick then causes the case re-assemble itself and the pc to start.

The reason this didn't work is because the GK110 chip is quite a bit larger than Hawai'i. In Asus' case, two of the heat pipes don't even touch the chip and were useless.
radeon-r9-290x-cooling-case,X-W-415940-13.jpg

There's no reason a 780 type cooling solution can't be used, but you need to address the smaller surface area on the chip for optimal heat transference.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
"you might say that it's a little disrespectful to put an AMD heat sink and fan on a half-naked Nvidia card" Yes it is, to the AMD card you took it from! :)

Phillip Wager

Honorable
May 30, 2013
why not get the regular 750 (non ti) single slot and overclock it? you would have to increase fanspeed to compensate but probably would fall within a close enough margin that anyone willing to accept the limitations of an ultra small form factor would likely accept.

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Btw, which way were you spinning the fan? It seems in the picture that your adapter connector closest to the PCB swaps the polarity black/red. Perhaps it doesn't matter. Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.