Build Your Own: The Customizable, Illuminated Dream Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Shame on you.. How dare you copyright stuff (at least that's what the video says).

The case does look awesome, but it would be nice to see the video lol.

stoogie

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
iunno looks pretty lame to me, its just a couple of leds, i have 15 fans in my haf 932 and theyre all green and it glows alot more than the pc you have made here, if u want to customize, get leds/cathodes/lighting kits, and light up not only your case but the environment, or get watercooling with neon liquid of a different colour or even UV colour, make a custom glass case etc, thats how a dream 'illuminated' mod should be. for example the guy who created a glass desk which had the pc in it and was fully illuminated, THAT is what this article should be about, not about how to install a fan.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I'm not usually a fan of lighted setups, most of them are really gaudy looking, but I actually like your setup. Maybe I'll try to make a tasteful lighted setup like this for my next build.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
BTW, when can we expect the Sub-$200 CPU comparison. Cleeve said we could expect it by the end of the month and it's now officially February (EST). Hope you guys post it tomorrow.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Stay away from blue lighting. It messes up your circadian rhythms. Blue light is how your brain knows that dawn is nearing. Whenever there's a blue LED on a device I use late at night, I put tape over it.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
[citation][nom]shikamaru31789[/nom]BTW, when can we expect the Sub-$200 CPU comparison. Cleeve said we could expect it by the end of the month and it's now officially February (EST). Hope you guys post it tomorrow.[/citation]

I am looking forward to this as well... considering its been over two weeks since the best of Jan 2013 list that mentions this was posted.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
dream build....uses air cooling.... hang your head in shame whoever thought of that instead of a custom watercooling setup with water addetives for the colour

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
PC's seem to be more about peripherals these days than back in the day when all you wanted was a rig (case optional) that could play Unreal Tournament. It's not a bad thing though. This will always be where PCs rule. And it's great to see the quality options that are available.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I'm so happy to see this article. I haven't quite finished getting the base components in my PC yet but LED lighting is definitely down the road, so this will be very helpful. Thanks guys!

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Yeah, EMI Music Publishing and other organizations claim copyright infringement and basically block anything with any type of music on youtube, even if it's a piano piece you play yourself. You have to fight for a while in order to have almost any music whatsoever remain on youtube.

While this sounds utterly ridiculous, unfortunately it's reality.

WretchedSoul44

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
I wouldn't buy Mad Catz anything. I tried out the R.A.T mouse and it worked fine for a while, but then one time I came back from lunch(I used it at work) and the tiny metal piece used to tighten the mouse on the side of it discharged on my finger. Ever since then the mouse would work very poorly, would have trouble moving and I had to click multiple times just to open something. 80 bucks down the drain. That Keyboard looks like a man or woman with carpet's nightmare, too!

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
I can't believe I wasn't aware of the NZXT Hue before. I've been looking into getting some LED lighting for my case, and if I weren't broke I probably would've gone for single-color BitFenix Alchemies (which are horrifically over-priced) or Ozniums. But for the same price as 2 feet of 1-color Alchemies I can have 6 feet of full RGB with a controller? Color me interested.

Anyway, great read. I always enjoy articles that are about building systems (especially fun ones like this).

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]Yeah, EMI Music Publishing and other organizations claim copyright infringement and basically block anything with any type of music on youtube, even if it's a piano piece you play yourself. You have to fight for a while in order to have almost any music whatsoever remain on youtube.While this sounds utterly ridiculous, unfortunately it's reality.[/citation]

Good lord.

I made an official declaration to Youtube that the small snippet of audio I chose complied with the fair use guidelines, which I researched thoroughly.

Video re-uploaded, it should work now but with no music.

+1 for the man, -1 for the people. :(

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]shikamaru31789[/nom]BTW, when can we expect the Sub-$200 CPU comparison. Cleeve said we could expect it by the end of the month and it's now officially February (EST). Hope you guys post it tomorrow.[/citation]

"The end of the month" was a general timeline, not a promise.

Regardless, its coming quite soon. :)

WickedPigeon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Nice build - and once again, I'm jealous.

And while you have done all that can be done with a PC, both now and in the past, when will PC design evolve to something more than black/white PLASTIC rectangles?

I only wish I could find PC cases/designs that where as beautiful on the outside as yours' is on the inside; like the award winning Jeffrey Stephenson designs http://www.slipperyskip.com/page23.html

just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.