Build Your Own: The Customizable, Illuminated Dream Machine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]Good lord.I made an official declaration to Youtube that the small snippet of audio I chose complied with the fair use guidelines, which I researched thoroughly.Video re-uploaded, it should work now but with no music.+1 for the man, -1 for the people.[/citation]

I uploaded some really old classic music performed by someone I know on piano and I got the same notice. I had to fight for weeks to have the video allowed and the music enabled again. It would appear that these companies automatically tag any music as copyright infringement.

[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]such a waste of money....lights doesn't mean you have a fast system.....keep it simple[/citation]

Congratulations, you managed to completely miss the point of this article. No, you didn't win a cookie.

EDIT: just in case it needs to be said, nowhere in the article was it stated nor implied that adding lights had anything to do with "speed". The point was aesthetics and that was stated over and over again in the article. It was also stated that sure, if lights aren't your thing, then this won't float your boat (granted not in those exact words IIRC) and the point was to appeal to the builder's sense of aesthetics and those of as many people as reasonably possible and that there may well be some people whom it doesn't appeal to. Regardless, this build had a purpose and it succeeded in that purpose very well.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]Classical music, I mean... Chopin Fantasie Impromptu, to be precise. Here's the video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lFHhIB9jUg[/citation]

That's ridiculous. Pretty sure Chopin is public domain by now... :p

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
[citation][nom]bit_user[/nom]Stay away from blue lighting. It messes up your circadian rhythms. Blue light is how your brain knows that dawn is nearing. Whenever there's a blue LED on a device I use late at night, I put tape over it.[/citation]Yeah, because the blue lighting on your build is going to matter when you're staring at a computer monitor late at night.

Not that I claim to be an expert or even well-informed in the subject, but I'd think that if what bit_user claimed is true, blue LEDs would be a greater issue than the monitor unless you stare at a nearly all blue screen with very high brightness.

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Not that I claim to be an expert or even well-informed in the subject, but I'd think that if what bit_user claimed is true, blue LEDs would be a greater issue than the monitor unless you stare at a nearly all blue screen with very high brightness.[/citation]While it's true that blue light is slightly more problematic, bright light of just about any kind will cause the same problems, and staring at a bright computer screen 2 ft from your face is definitely enough (keep in mind, white light includes blue light, so if you're looking at a mostly white webpage, you're getting tons of blue light anyway).
For the record, although I'm not an expert in the field I am well informed, and I know experts- one of the professors in my grad program discovered the cells in your retina that are responsible for photoentrainment (coordinating your natural circadian rhythm with external light cues).

cleeve

Illustrious

Oh I believed you. I was calling YouTube's draconian policies ridiculous. :)

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
When I first built my system I was surprised that the CPU cooler was lit with blue LEDs. I later got 2 blue lighted fans and I ripped the motor out of one fan just to use the lights in the frame. I remembered that RGB equals White, so I swapped some of the blue LEDs for red and green, to add some white balance to the blue lighting. My eye can't really see it (I am a graphic designer), but the camera does see the glow as whiteish-blue. My case is mostly closed so you can not see more than a subtle blue white atomic glow inside, behind the vents. I may swap in some white LEDs one day. I find the LEDs are useful as 'Under the Hood' lights for when I am working inside the case with the power on.

http://xyzcoord.webs.com/images/work-in-progress.jpg
http://xyzcoord.webs.com/images/hospital-white.jpg

brogz42

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
I am a big fan of sticking to one color scheme for the whole build but you guys showed me there is more then one way to do that.

hrmes

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
The choice of fan controller is rather poor compared to Aquaero 5 which only takes up 1 front bay, has an LCD screen, is more versatile as a fan controller and can also control led lights.

gondor

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Dafuq ? My dream machine DOES NOT emit light, noise or heat. Getting one out of three is nice, getting two is the current goal and getting all three would defy the laws of physics.

[citation][nom]shikamaru31789[/nom]I'm not usually a fan of lighted setups, most of them are really gaudy looking, but I actually like your setup. Maybe I'll try to make a tasteful lighted setup like this for my next build.[/citation]

EDITED ME RIGHT OUT OF MY OWN POST...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS