Question Building a 3080 PC, need some help

BenJi2d

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Hi there people!

Like many other people, I'm super excited for thew new nVidia GPUs and since I'm with a 1080 Ti and 4790k, I thought it's about time to upgrade. I've been building my own PCs since I was 15, but that does not mean I understand much, I don't. I just see most popular people's choices and overall reputation and hype around PC parts and buy those things. I was always an nVidia and Intel guy tho, which I hope it's not a problem for you, because I know how fans could be furious in those company battles. I really don't care about any of those "wars" (including consoles). I have a gaming pc and most consoles so I just want to play great games on whichever platform they're selling them. Being an Intel and nVidia user for many years I slowly realized how a lot of the software and games I'm using do specific things better because of some features those two companies have and AMD doesn't. Like, I'm flawlessly streaming my PC to every device in the entire house using software called Moonlight, which does this only with nVidia GPUs, because of the Shield software. Things like kinda stacked up and I started seeing this more often. Features that make my experience better are often for Intel and nVidia. That's why I stick with those companies. Not because I'm a fan boy or I care. BUT the thing is that, AMD released their new CPUs that are great and now I don't know what to do. I see the ton of praise and I'm not sure if I want to finally switch to AMD. Also, the CPU decides what the motherboard is which also means that if I go with Intel, I'm stuck with PCIe 3 for now and I can't use those new and faster SSD's...NVME M.2 or something? I only heard about them, don't really know why they are better, all I want to know is, are they significantly better or not. That's another deciding factor. Cuz nVidia said they're bringing those "no loading" next gen console features to PC, and I want to know will those be available for me with PCIe 3 or it's an exclusive PCIe 4 thing. Oh and about the Intel CPU, I think I'll go with the i7 10700k .
Then for the other parts. What kind of RAM would I need for those fast new parts? 4500hz, 3200 or 2600 or is there something faster/better (stronger)? Definitely 32 GB tho, cuz 16 is not enough for me as an artist. I'm always out of ram and software is crashing. Corsair Vengeance is what I currently have so I think I'll just buy this brand again.
Motherboard. Well, one thing I found out for all those years too is that I love Asus. I'm using a wide range of their higher end products like routers, dongles, pc components and other stuff. Also all my GPUs for the past 10 years up until now were Asus I think. So, Maximus XII Hero or Asus ROG Strix Z390? I think I'll go with the Hero.
PSU, I got one from Corsair, it's 1000W so I guess I'll just keep it. The model is M2 I think.
HDDs, I'll keep all my HDDs + the SSD and just buy one new NVMe for the OS and some games.
Case, I'll go with something NZXT.
Cooling, not going with water cooling yet. I've always been fine with good air cooling so I never felt I need to buy the more expensive solution.
Also, I don't care about RGB since my pc is under my desk and I don't even see it.

So what do you guys think? Please tell me your opinion and give me better suggestions, because I'm sure my choice ain't perfect since like I said, I'm no Pro. But most important of all is the CPU choice, everything else I think I can't go wrong with.
And it may sound extremely weird and stupid for you, but I use a LOT of emulators and they've always been working better with Intel and nVidia. I bought the collector's edition for Breath of the Wild, but emulated it on Cemu, cuz there I would have 4k, 60fps and even mods and ReShades with Ray Tracing and other visual enhancements which makes the game jawdropping gorgeous. And I have like 400+ hours on this game...but on my PC, not my Wii U or Switch. So yeah, emulator's is a deciding factor too.

Thanks for reading this

If you go with 10th gen Intel, you should get a Z490 mobo.

No matter what brand of CPU you go with, look at DDR4-3200 or 3600 RAM.

Maybe wait till the end of the month to see what Ryzen 4000 bring to the table.

1000W PSU is wayyyy more than you need, but whatever, you own it already.

Reactions: BenJi2d

Pickachu

Prominent
Apr 15, 2019
Z390 dont suitable for the I7 10700k(z490 works with it).
What kind of programs will you use?
What is theModels of the hdd+ssd that you have?
I would go with another case and not with Nzxt(the models of nzxt cases now are lack in airflow, but it is only my personal opinion).
I think there is not model such as Corsair m2 1000w...check the exact model and write it here(How much years/months you have this psu)?
What kind of monitor do you have?
What is the maximum budget?

BenJi2d

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
The PSU is Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000W...both Corsair and Cooler start with C so I messed it up. I have it for like 3 years maybe, not sure.
Programs, well...Photoshop daily, After Effects, Maya, Zbrush, Unity and a lot of other programs that I use much less frequently. The HDDs are...WD Black, but don't know specific models since I bought them over the years. The SSD...I also forgot the model, maybe it's Samsung I gotta check.
About cases, I care more for the design (I know...but as an artist I really care about visuals) which kinda contradicts with me not caring about RGBs, but I really don't, only the case design. I was using NZXT Phantom for 5+ years and made a new research on PC cases and found out that they are MUCH more boring than they were 10 years ago. We have some really creative designs back then. Now it's just a cubic box with glass and some RGB lights and that's all, but it's cool. Found some...Jonsbo I think, Mod 3, that look dope...but those cases are such an overkill that I can't justify it.
The monitor I have...haha that's a good one, well...I have a TV. I always had a TV for the past...11-12 years. 4k HDR TV that I can overclock to 120hz I think. It is a TV, because I need to have all my consoles and TV and VR and stuff connected to a single thing so I can't have 2 monitors and a TV on my desk. And the TV is 43''. Yeah, I'm sitting on a 43'' TV every.day. It also helps me with drawing. But...this doesn't really matter guys, bcuz those are high end parts and I'll play those games on 4k Ray Tracing and stuff everything on Ultra, I don't think it will exceed 120 fps and even if it does...I don't care because I never saw above 60, I mean...my old TV showed maximum of 60 fps even when games showed like 200 fps, so I never really had above 60fps experience and I don't care about it. Also, I'm planning on finally buying a gaming monitor and send all the consoles and TV in the living room. I mean, really, don't worry about the monitor ^^ I just want to future proof myself.
Budget...it's hard to say, bcuz I'm not from the US (no sh*t, this english) and prices are different. Also, I can squeeze a little more if I need to...but let's saay...2500 usd? I calculated most of the stuff in my currency and converted it so I guess 3080, 10700k, 2x16gb 3200hz, maximus xii hero, ssd, case...and air cooler? I think that's it.

Z390 dont suitable for the I7 10700k(z490 works with it).
What kind of programs will you use?
What is theModels of the hdd+ssd that you have?
I would go with another case and not with Nzxt(the models of nzxt cases now are lack in airflow, but it is only my personal opinion).
I think there is not model such as Corsair m2 1000w...check the exact model and write it here(How much years/months you have this psu)?
What kind of monitor do you have?
What is the maximum budget?

BenJi2d

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Please state what country you're shopping from so we can give you price-accurate recommendations (or make sure things we're recommending are even available in your market)

Well I...I really don't want to bother you guys to waste so much time doing that. But okay, I'm from Bulgaria and I think most things are available here...I think. Websites like https://www.jarcomputers.com/ have a lot, but this is just one site of at least 5 I know. Overall, we are a very...very lacking country in almost everything, but when it comes to PCs, we kinda have a decent amount, because consoles are something very rare here. Our poor nation is used to PCs, because piracy. Only way they could afford games, software, music and movies back in the day. Some people are still like that. They don't know what paying for movies, software, games etc even means...does not exist as a concept in their heads. Anyway, I digress ;D sorry.
So in our currency, which is the bulgarian lev or BGN, my budget is around 3500 / 4000 bgn.
I just wanna mention how fricked up we are by the way, for example...PS4 Pro at launch was 399 $ in US and your minimum monthly income is around 1200. You can buy 3. Here, 800 BGN at launch, our minimum wage back then was 460 bgn. We can buy...0.5 PS4s :X And this logic applies to almost everything. So...for me to give 3.5k/4k for a PC...is like for you to give like...8k or more. (somebody help me emigrate, I can draw really good :|)

Thanks for reading, hope I'm not boring you.

Last edited: