Question Building a new PC , price is not an issue. 13900K OR 13900KF OR 7950X?

ChornyRussian

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
Which one would be the best for gaming? Budget is not an issue for me im looking for the best performance in gaming and the most stable experience. I will be pairing it with a 360MM AIO cooler.
I've heard the 13900 series have some serious thermal problems as well.

Which one would you guys recommend and why? Thanks in advance.

If price is not an issue, either the 13900K or the 7950x would perform about the same for gaming.
I would pay the some $25 more for integrated graphics on the 13900K vs. the KF option.
Early next year, there should be a highly binned 13900KS option available if you are willing to spend big bucks.

As far as the most stable experience, I think the 13900K has better odds.
The new Z790 chipset is a minor update of Z690 which has been out a year.
It also has been running both DDR4 and DDR5 ram so many early issues have been resolved.
AM4 is a new socket, chipset and requires DDR5 ram.
With amd so dependent on ram for performance, I expect some early glitches to show up.

Which one would be the best for gaming? Budget is not an issue for me im looking for the best performance in gaming and the most stable experience. I will be pairing it with a 360MM AIO cooler.

The 13900K is an expensive heat producing power hog ... that is unless you lock the power limits. Intel's upcoming and less expensive locked cpu's are going to be where it's at for gamers.

DeBauer locked the 13900K at 90W and it still mopped the floor with AMD's new lineup in regards to gaming.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Bm0Wr6OEQ

Last edited:

mnafati

Honorable
Jun 11, 2016
I am myself looking at my future build, now that the last GPU and CPUs are out.
People saying that you wouldn't see the difference are probably not gamers, as they are tons of games CPU bound.
Now it is true that the cost for the very high end hardware is always atrocious, and more importantly decays very fast.
By if money is not an issue, I would say that this time there is no looser, you could choose any without regret. I personnaly think the 13900KF is the better deal overall, particularly as I want to use custom liquid cooling.

There is no difference in cooling requirements between 13900K and 13900KF
It seems silly to me to not pay an extra $30 or so on a top tier build to get integrated graphics.
You also get quick-sync, a hardware encode/decode of video:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...uick-sync-video/quick-sync-video-general.html
It is not only insurance for a problematic gpu.
I had a discrete gpu and it was the psu that failed.
I had a substitute psu that could not run my graphics card and the integrated graphics bailed me out.
Quite well, really.

Reactions: KyaraM and wyliec2

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
I am myself looking at my future build, now that the last GPU and CPUs are out.
People saying that you wouldn't see the difference are probably not gamers, as they are tons of games CPU bound.
Now it is true that the cost for the very high end hardware is always atrocious, and more importantly decays very fast.
By if money is not an issue, I would say that this time there is no looser, you could choose any without regret. I personnaly think the 13900KF is the better deal overall, particularly as I want to use custom liquid cooling.

but why go with this instead of the 13600k?? its completly uselss and a waste of money, power and resorces if all your going to be using it for is gaming. your not going to see any difference. if you really want to spend stupid money and get results go buy a 4090.

mnafati

Honorable
Jun 11, 2016
but why go with this instead of the 13600k?? its completly uselss and a waste of money, power and resorces if all your going to be using it for is gaming. your not going to see any difference. if you really want to spend stupid money and get results go buy a 4090.

Hem... the 4090 is a GPU, 13900KF a CPU... and of course for a no limit build I would take both, as if you are reading to spend the 2000+ euros for a 4090, plus the water cooling system, ssd, motherboard and prime ram, all in a good case, you won't shy away from a few hundred boxes more for the best possible CPU.

Oct 5, 2022
The one question no one has asked as they are far too busy fanboying over AMD/Intel is what resolution do you play at? and what are your GPU plans?

1080p is going to be highly CPU dependent

1440p seems to be more CPU dependant than previously thought but is the point at which a GPU because important

4K is going to be entirely about the GPU.

I would say for the most part the 13900K (of the CPUs mentioned) is going to be the best overall for gaming, but even then it depends on the games because some perform better on AMD, but there are probably more that favour Intel.

Now the question of Platform is also an important, 13th Gen will run on both Z690 & Z790 boards and as Z790 is just really an updated version of Z690 its likely to be much more stable than an entirely new platform like X670. However you also have to consider that its likely that more performance will be squeezed out of 7000 series as BIOS matures, therefore its not beyond the realms of possibility that something like the 7950x will become faster than 13900k, not that there is a huge difference between the two despite what the fanboys will try to tell you.

Then as others have said, you have to consider the chips that are likely to hit early next year such as the KS SKUs of 13th gen and the 3D V-Cache variants from AMD. Both of the new chips will be supported on the current boards, but most people agree that it's unlikely that 14th Gen, when it launches, will be supported on the current motherboards, whereas you are going to have much more possibilities in the future with AM5/X670.

TL;DR - 13900k is the fastest/best CPU your money can buy right now, but 7950x isn't that far behind and there are faster chips yet to come.

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Hem... the 4090 is a GPU, 13900KF a CPU... and of course for a no limit build I would take both, as if you are reading to spend the 2000+ euros for a 4090, plus the water cooling system, ssd, motherboard and prime ram, all in a good case, you won't shy away from a few hundred boxes more for the best possible CPU.
but your not going to see a difference....so its a waste of money...

KyaraM

Admirable
If it absolutely must be one of those... the 13900K is the much better gaming chip.

Else.
  1. Grab a 13600K
  2. Overclock it to 5.5 GHz
  3. Win

Tests have shown that you can get gaming performance on par with the 13900K with that under an OC. There is little reason to buy a 13900K for gaming. And even less for a 7950X that in some games even loses to a 7700X.

Oct 5, 2022
or wait a little bit and get the 7800x3d (presumably what it will be called) which will more than likely destroy everything in its wake as far as gaming goes if the performance of the 5800x3d is anything to go by

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
or wait a little bit and get the 7800x3d (presumably what it will be called) which will more than likely destroy everything in its wake as far as gaming goes if the performance of the 5800x3d is anything to go by

or just get a 7600x now and upgrade later...best of both worlds. you cant do that with 13th gen its a one time upgrade. seems like a dumb choice if somone is building a new system.

USAFRet

Titan
or just get a 7600x now and upgrade later...best of both worlds. you cant do that with 13th gen its a one time upgrade. seems like a dumb choice if somone is building a new system.
Or, if your upgrade cycle is much longer, that does not matter.

Some people (me!) only change up every 5 years or so.
So it would be a new motherboard+RAM anyway.

Reactions: cAllen and KyaraM

zesun

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
but your not going to see a difference....so its a waste of money...
You're not going to get through to them. They want the best that the benchmarks tell them! lmfao.
They will never take advantage of the power they crave and before they would they are already going to buy new hardware again where they wan tthe best benchmarking hardware yet again and the cycle just continues.

It's stupidity and pc gaming is ripe with it. Just look at how people use words like "mopped the floor" and "much better for gaming" whean talking about intel vs amd, like both aren't actually close in performance and that performance is wasted on gaming as it is right now. It's sad that people are so willing to waste money for something they wont takle advantage of. It's super short sighted and wastefull!

Oct 14, 2022

Hey ChornyRussian,

As someone who was in the same situation, sorry for all of the people telling you that this is a waste, if you are going for an overkill build, I absolutely applaud you.

I personally built a completely overkill build a few weeks ago on the Zen 4 platform the day the 4090 came out. The specs are as following:

ASUS TUF X670E PLUS WIFI
Ryzen 9 7950X
RTX 4090
64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
2x Samsung 980 Pro

Now, I mention all of these things because a lot of these details are very important. Firstly, during the first week after completing the build the PC was plagued with stability issues, extremely long boot times (DDR5 memory training), and random shutdowns. However, all of these things, at least for this particular motherboard, have been solved with a BIOS update (more detailed info at https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-whereas-7900x-is-fine.3779906/#post-22836768 where we worked through this issue) , as is the case with many other x670 motherboards. After the BIOS update, boot times are exponentially quicker and zero crashes whatsoever. This is all to say that if you want to go the AMD route at least, be wary of issues on the new platform, and do some research on the motherboard you are looking to use to make sure it either does not have these issues or has a BIOS update available that addresses them. Likely, most will eventually if not already.

However, after all these stability issues, I am sure you will also deal with some on the Intel side of things as well, so let's move into performance.
I think that the biggest deciding factor for you should be what you intend to do on your rig.
If you plan on only gaming on this build, I would probably suggest the 13900K or 13900KF as historically they have been the better option in terms of gaming performance, especially in single-threaded games or games that are not optimized for high thread counts. However, if you also plan to do work on this build, or you game in addition to streaming, using browsers, or have any other open programs, then I would probably recommend the 7950X.

Now, there is also the issue of power draw. By default, both of these CPUs are pretty power hungry, but from my understanding, the 7950X can be tamed significantly more by undervolting while barely losing any performance, and by default offers substantially more performance per Watt. In my brief testing, I threw a -0.05v undervolt (no overclock) on my 7950X and achieved a -11C ((5C to 84C) difference under full stress load (CPUZ stress test) using my LIAN LI 360mm AIO, all while maintaining the same performance. I am sure more tuning could likely achieve better results.

Of course, all of this is coming purely from the AMD side of things, as I am definitely not spending another ~$6K on an Intel rig as well, but I personally find the AMD build to be extremely versatile, and that is coming from an Intel fanboy of about a decade.

As for everyone saying that both of these CPUs are overkill. Consider letting OP have a little fun. I personally find ways daily to max out both the CPU and GPU in my gaming and workstation use cases. For example, Cyberpunk 7680x1440p (3x 1440p monitors) @ 240hz, albeit with DLSS, pushes both pretty hard, but results in an insane gaming experience. Fortnite does hit 1200+ FPS (no DLSS, lowest settings), which is a bit overkill, but Call of Duty Rebirth only hits about 250 FPS (no DLSS, absolute max settings) and appears to be more CPU limited than GPU (it is, of course, a 4090). I will also throw into the mix Blender rendering, which performs insanely well on the 7950X, even more insanely well on the 4090, and ludicrously when using both.

So, OP, I wish you the best with your future build, and in my personal opinion, you probably will not go wrong regardless of the direction you go in.

ChornyRussian

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
Hey ChornyRussian,

As someone who was in the same situation, sorry for all of the people telling you that this is a waste, if you are going for an overkill build, I absolutely applaud you.

I personally built a completely overkill build a few weeks ago on the Zen 4 platform the day the 4090 came out. The specs are as following:

ASUS TUF X670E PLUS WIFI
Ryzen 9 7950X
RTX 4090
64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
2x Samsung 980 Pro

Now, I mention all of these things because a lot of these details are very important. Firstly, during the first week after completing the build the PC was plagued with stability issues, extremely long boot times (DDR5 memory training), and random shutdowns. However, all of these things, at least for this particular motherboard, have been solved with a BIOS update (more detailed info at https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-whereas-7900x-is-fine.3779906/#post-22836768 where we worked through this issue) , as is the case with many other x670 motherboards. After the BIOS update, boot times are exponentially quicker and zero crashes whatsoever. This is all to say that if you want to go the AMD route at least, be wary of issues on the new platform, and do some research on the motherboard you are looking to use to make sure it either does not have these issues or has a BIOS update available that addresses them. Likely, most will eventually if not already.

However, after all these stability issues, I am sure you will also deal with some on the Intel side of things as well, so let's move into performance.
I think that the biggest deciding factor for you should be what you intend to do on your rig.
If you plan on only gaming on this build, I would probably suggest the 13900K or 13900KF as historically they have been the better option in terms of gaming performance, especially in single-threaded games or games that are not optimized for high thread counts. However, if you also plan to do work on this build, or you game in addition to streaming, using browsers, or have any other open programs, then I would probably recommend the 7950X.

Now, there is also the issue of power draw. By default, both of these CPUs are pretty power hungry, but from my understanding, the 7950X can be tamed significantly more by undervolting while barely losing any performance, and by default offers substantially more performance per Watt. In my brief testing, I threw a -0.05v undervolt (no overclock) on my 7950X and achieved a -11C ((5C to 84C) difference under full stress load (CPUZ stress test) using my LIAN LI 360mm AIO, all while maintaining the same performance. I am sure more tuning could likely achieve better results.

Of course, all of this is coming purely from the AMD side of things, as I am definitely not spending another ~$6K on an Intel rig as well, but I personally find the AMD build to be extremely versatile, and that is coming from an Intel fanboy of about a decade.

As for everyone saying that both of these CPUs are overkill. Consider letting OP have a little fun. I personally find ways daily to max out both the CPU and GPU in my gaming and workstation use cases. For example, Cyberpunk 7680x1440p (3x 1440p monitors) @ 240hz, albeit with DLSS, pushes both pretty hard, but results in an insane gaming experience. Fortnite does hit 1200+ FPS (no DLSS, lowest settings), which is a bit overkill, but Call of Duty Rebirth only hits about 250 FPS (no DLSS, absolute max settings) and appears to be more CPU limited than GPU (it is, of course, a 4090). I will also throw into the mix Blender rendering, which performs insanely well on the 7950X, even more insanely well on the 4090, and ludicrously when using both.

So, OP, I wish you the best with your future build, and in my personal opinion, you probably will not go wrong regardless of the direction you go in.
Thank you for your informative reply.