Building a new PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tmotu

Commendable
Jul 13, 2017
After reading and accumulating data, I've selected these as PC parts. Can you help me with the compatibility and all suggestions are welcome.
-AMD Ryzen 5 1600x.
-Aorus Radeon RX580 8gb
-Kingston SSDUV400/ 120gb
-EVGA Supernova NEX650g
-Kingston Hyperx (2x8gb) Ram
-Seagate Barracuda 2TB.
-GamerStorm Maelstrom 120k
I am planning to use MSI b350 as Motherboard.

Will this work?

Solution
If you really want them that's fine I guess.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($428.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Memory: GeIL - EVO X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($195.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($171.00 @ Shopping Express)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($130.00 @ Shopping Express)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 3 (Windowed) MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($49.00 @ Umart)
Power...

tmotu

Commendable
Jul 13, 2017

Unable to buy the PSU. Should I get CX750M?

Dulith1118

Admirable
Dec 16, 2014

NO. What else do they have??? Something like evga g2 or something

tmotu

Commendable
Jul 13, 2017

Found them @Scorptec. Picking them up tomorrow. Got everything except the RAM. mwave usually takes 7-8 days for Delivery usually. I need them before 18th. Can I use G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16D-16GTZR 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Instead?

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

So I how and why exactly is that evga supernova a bad PSU? I'm I missing something?. With 4 eggs and 141 reviews in newegg and good reviews all over the web.

tmotu

Commendable
Jul 13, 2017

Gettign g.skill trident, GeIL comes with an extra wire for RGB, So ill go forG.skill. Rest all done.

DSzymborski

Titan

Those aren't reviews. An average consumer cannot provide any useful review of a PSU, so most commerce site review lists are going to be absolutely worthless. If the person reviewing a PSU doesn't have a setup like this:

JGTesting1.jpg

Then it ain't a review. Whether it's Newegg eggs, Amazon stars, or whatever, they can't tell you any useful information.

Now, in fairness, the first generation of the Supernovas, like that one above, aren't the worst PSUs in the world. They're not some random PowrMax you'll get off eBay for $10. But they're unimpressive performers, on a less robust FSP platform, and generally weak in comparison to the competition at the cost level. EVGA didn't hit a home run until they went with Super Flower for most of the PSUs with a 2 in the name.

Will it set your PC on fire? No. But it's not a particularly smart purchase, because at $75, it fights with better PSUs.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

I'm not only talking about regular consumer reviews I'm talking about professionals reviews like this one too: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=442

Summary

The NEX650G strikes me as a very bland but still capable little unit. It does a lot right, but it also does a lot to bring a yawn out of me. Voltage regulation was nothing special. Efficiency was barely a pass for Gold. Ripple suppression is nothing special. But when that's the worst thing you can say about a unit, you're not doing too bad at all. This is by no means a junk unit. It's just a little too close in price to the real good stuff for me to recommend, is all. Taking ten bucks off the price, or bringing performance up a bit, would do a whole lot for this model. As it sits right now, if you skip lunch at McDonalds today you've already more than made up the difference between this unit and the Seasonic unit or even the EVGA GS model I mentioned. Heck, skip the fast food two days in a row and you can get the G2 instead, along with all the awesomeness that comes with it.

The Good:

fully modular
5V regulation was excellent
3.3V ripple suppression was excellent
decent amount of extra goodies
affordable

The Bad:

nada

The Mediocre:

12V stability was strictly average
3.3V stability was below average
5V ripple suppression could be better

These are the final scores:

Performance 8

Functionality 9.5

Value 7.5

Build Quality 9.5

Total Score 8.5

I'm not saying that this PSU is the best thing in the world but you are the only person i have seen (other than some random angry customer) saying that EVGA Supernova's are trash. For what you pay and what you get there is nothing wrong with it. And is not an awful power supply like you mention before. Is actually way above average.

Here another review from Tchpowerup with their final score of 9.1. (EVGA SuperNOVA 650) G2
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_G2_650/11.html

Cheers

DSzymborski

Titan

When did I say trash? And what did I say before? I have one post in this thread - people with different handles tend to be different people. I said it was an unimpressive PSU that's not competitive at its price level (which, Jesus H. Monkeyballs, is essentially what you just quoted with JonnyGuru's typically excellent review). Both statements are accurate. As is the statement that consumer reviews are worthless for a PSU.

@OP, please ignore these two....
The G1 is based on FSP's Aurum platform which is straight up dreadful, cheaps out on key components and is rather mediocre overall, can barely pass for a basic unit, the Corsair CXM (2016) is better than it even, it just uses its gold rating to sell to new builders and marketing.
G2 = Good
G1 = Bad

But don't take my word for it, keep in mind the Corsair CX is already considered a bad unit.
LL

LL

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

You quoted that

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

So that's the only thing wrong with it?
what about all the goodies?
avg_efficiency_low_loads.gif
avg_efficiency_normal_loads.gif
Result-31-31_Relative_Performance-small_w_600.jpg
regulation_12v.gif
regulation_5v.gif
regulation_33v.gif
regulation_5vsb.gif
hold_up_time.gif
inrush_current.gif

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

That's correct it was the NEX model i know is not the best thing in the world but is not trash i'll call it average.

DSzymborski

Titan

Do you know how quotes work in a discussion? You leave them when they're relevant to the flow of conversation. If they're a source of agreement, then you agreed as well.

But anyway, given that you're hostile, refuse to read, and continually post graphics that have nothing to do with the PSU we're talking about -- PSUs aren't the same just because they have "Supernova" in the name -- I'm unfollowing this thread. The OP isn't even around.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

I was reading but I got confused. I know that, This is not my first rodeo with PSU.

TRENDING THREADS