[SOLVED] Building a non-gaming, software development & consulting management business machine + hobby music production

Jan 28, 2019
Hello,

I have a 2015 Macbook Pro and my work + play habits are starting to max out the performance of my machine. It's a top specked 2015 model, 16g ram, best video card, 256gb HD etc.

Would honestly prefer a killer Mac as a new machine, but Apple wants $4200 for what I'm doing, and that's not going to happen. They've gone insane.

So, I am going to be building either a windows or Linux machine. Will be maintaining my Macbook for Sketch mostly (Sketch is my primary design tool, and no PC version).

The work the machine will do the most of is:

• * Software development (Node / React)
    * Serious amounts of intense multitasking as I actually run two software businesses (will touch on this in the screen part)
    * A bit of fun with music via Studio One (guitar hobbyist)
    * No gaming whatsoever, ever.
I've been lurking on this form and doing my own research for the last couple of weeks and here is what I've come up with as far as giving myself a great starting point, allowing for easy upgrade of memory, HD and video card. Saving for a big purchase right now, so have no interest in paying for overhead I don't need, I just don't want to wait on my machine to do stuff.

The hardware I have planned:

G.SKILL 32GB (2 x 16GB) TridentZ RGB Series DDR4
ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming Motherboard (ATX) AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 B450
CORSAIR TXM Series, TX650M, 650 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular Power Supply
CORSAIR CARBIDE 275R Mid-Tower Gaming Case, Tempered Glass- White (CC-9011133-WW)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler - YD270XBGAFBOX
Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD - CT1000MX500SSD1(Z)

It's been ~18 years since I last build a machine, so I might be missing a couple of things that are obvious to many of you.

I am leaning towards the AMD platform because it seems like for my use case it's more bang for the buck.

Not actually crazy about the RGB / lights stuff, I just want a machine to quietly kick ass for me for years and years and be cheap to upgrade.

As far as a screen, I'm strongly leaning towards the Dell UltraSharp U4919DW. This defies the cost factor I mentioned above a bit, but in my work the large real estate will more than make up for the expense. Planning to drive this with the MB's on board video at first.

Also, as far as my music hobby, I have a brand new Apollo Twin, which only has a Thunderbolt output. Universal Audio states that I'll need a very modern system with a USB-C port, plus this adapter to connect the Apollo Twin to my PC

As far as a USB-C card for the machine, looking at the ASUS Thunderboltex 3, but want to make sure that I get the one that will provide me with the lowest latency from my instrument to final audio output. The Apollo Twin in general is very low latency, but part of the end result is of course based on your machine, and in the case I would imagine, on the Thunderbolt / USB adapter setup.

All of the above, minus the screen, tips the scales at $1,233 on Amazon (probably will buy elsewhere, but they are good for creating shopping lists), which to me seems fantastic in terms of performance for value. Would of course love to get more for less, but I'd be sound as a pound if the above list turns out to be ideal.

So, would welcome the expertise of everyone who is far more current on this stuff than I am at this point. Thanks for any input.

Solution
You'll need a low end video card. The motherbd video ports only work with an a CPU that has integrated Graphics and none of the Ryzen CPU's has it. Only their APU's do and they are low end.

A GT1030 should suffice for your needs.

popatim

Titan
You'll need a low end video card. The motherbd video ports only work with an a CPU that has integrated Graphics and none of the Ryzen CPU's has it. Only their APU's do and they are low end.

A GT1030 should suffice for your needs.

Solution