Question Building a pc + monitor for a friend need opinions

ElMontsaf

Commendable
Dec 23, 2021
So a friend asked me to build him a computer including a monitor he's getting into pc gaming coming from ps4 for 1,033.48 USD and heres what i came up with

Please note that the price is what the parts are worth in my country , I CANNOT buy parts overseas, The USD price is just for reference, The only option is local stores

Intel Core i5-14400F
PNY RTX 4060 XLR8 VETRO Triple Fan 8GB GDDR6
MSI PRO B760M-P DDR5
Team Elite 16GB (1*16G) 4800MHz CL40 DDR5
Team Group MP33 PRO 512GB M.2 NVME
Antec AX61 Elite + Antec Atom B750w Bronze PSU
853.65 USD for the pc parts

SAMSUNG LS27CG552EMXEG 27INCH Odyssey G5 VA Curved 165Hz QHD 2K 1MS
159.15 USD for the monitor

What do you guys think?
My concern is only the 4060 8gb and 3060 12gb argument and the reason why i am worried is because of the QHD monitor 🤦‍♂️

Also the 1 stick ram I cannot find any 2*8 sticks is this something that will really effect the system without dual channel?

Any room for improvement without going overbudget? I was gonna go Ryzen 7500f there's a 70 USD difference, but I am trying to get peak performance for longevity, I found out that the 14400f is slightly better.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure the point of converting to USD, easier to let people know the country and currency. Any local websites can be navigated with translation if need be.

Seek out 2x16GB kits, they are far more common with DDR5. 4800 CL40 isn't amazing either.

Or you could look at a DDR4 Intel board and stick with 2x16GB of DDR4 3200 CL16, savings there could let you fit in a bigger SSD.

Neither GPU is a great choice for 1440p, unless older and esports titles are the goal. Nothing says you can't run DLSS or just run at a lower native resolution. Not ideal, but it would make things playable while keeping the monitor for future GPU upgrades.

As long as you are sure to update the BIOS immediately, nothing wrong with Intel here. What does AMD pricing look like?

ElMontsaf

Commendable
Dec 23, 2021
Not sure the point of converting to USD, easier to let people know the country and currency. Any local websites can be navigated with translation if need be.

Seek out 2x16GB kits, they are far more common with DDR5. 4800 CL40 isn't amazing either.

Or you could look at a DDR4 Intel board and stick with 2x16GB of DDR4 3200 CL16, savings there could let you fit in a bigger SSD.

Neither GPU is a great choice for 1440p, unless older and esports titles are the goal. Nothing says you can't run DLSS or just run at a lower native resolution. Not ideal, but it would make things playable while keeping the monitor for future GPU upgrades.

As long as you are sure to update the BIOS immediately, nothing wrong with Intel here. What does AMD pricing look like?
The point of converting to USD is to show how much are these parts worth, For example if i tell you these parts are worth 50000 egp u don't actually know the value of the currency or if it's too much or too little, Just thought i would make it easier instead of adding my currency.

Longevity wise isn't ddr4 not a good choice? Since intel will be changing socket very soon?

I have no choices regarding the GPU, It's either a 3060 12gb or a 4060 8gb any other gpu the budget will skyrocket and i won't be able to afford a monitor if i get a 4060 16GB for example.

AMD Ryzen 5 7500F - 6-Core 12-Threads 5.0 GHz - Socket AM5 MPK+FAN
PNY RTX 4060 XLR8 VETRO Triple Fan 8GB GDDR6
MSI PRO A620M-E
Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (1x16) 6000 CL38 DDR5
Team MP44L 512GB M.2 NVME
XIGMATEK MASTER X II PRO ARGB + Asgard 750W 80+ Bronze

That's the competing AMD build which is cheaper by 2350 EGP (48 USD)

My country is Egypt and the currency is EGP
and the budget is 50,000 EGP including the monitor

All the websites are available in English
MaximumHardware(That's what I've been using)
Sigma-computer
elbadrgroup
elnekhelytechnology
hankerz

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
In terms of future upgrades, the AMD system is even better. AM5 already has the 9000 series available, and likely at least one more generation in the future. Though I would not opt for an A620 chipset, use the excess to get a B650 board.

13400F is the same price as the 7500F. There is little difference between the 13400F and 14400F. (13400F = 12600K without overclocking, roughly)

AM4 5700X is also a decent option under the price of the 14400F. DDR4 again, but the question of how often you upgrade CPUs and motherboards is the main question whether DDR4 or DDR5 matters all that much.

DDR5 you buy today is going to look slow compared to DDR5 3-5 years from now. Or be physically incompatible anyway. There are CAMM2 memory modules which may make a desktop appearance, and the possibility they will start soldering the memory to motherboards to increase speeds (laptops already have the speed advantage on higher end units) DIMMs may be become a memory layer further out with larger DRAM caches built into CPUs. (Intel did this once with Broadwell and certain Iris Xe graphics mobile processors)

Just using MaximumHardware, I am not sure how you managed. With the cheapest 1440p monitor and an RTX 3060 I came up with 56,000 or so without an SSD. They don't appear to have DDR4 in stock though, so less of an option.

It would take a while to go through all the sites and come up with a best build scenario. Based on the prices they had, I would say the 13400F is the best deal they have going for a gaming processor. If you can track down DDR4 that would be a good way to save money. If you stick with DDR5, 2x16GB kit is the best way, trying to add memory later is just asking for problems at these speeds. Mixing and matching DDR4 doesn't always go well, it is much worse with DDR5.

Reactions: ElMontsaf

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Also the 1 stick ram I cannot find any 2*8 sticks is this something that will really effect the system without dual channel?
Although not ideal, a single stick of RAM will not affect performance too much, outside of benchmarking apps. You might not notice much difference running single channel instead of dual channel.

It's always best to buy RAM in matched pairs (or quads) at the outset. Adding another DIMM to a system running single channel can cause instability, because you'll have two unmatched DIMMs. Still, if you don't have a choice, don't worry about it too much.

Ryzens do benefit from faster RAM and 6000MT/s is probably the sweet spot for speed versus price. I'm still running my 7950X at DDR4-4800, because that was all I could afford back in 2022, when I bought a 64GB (2x32GB) kit.

My concern is only the 4060 8gb and 3060 12gb argument
I chose the RTX 3060 12GB for my 7950X video editing rig, primarily because it was cheap and for the extra 4GB of RAM, useful in video rendering apps from Adobe and Topaz. Check out your friend's preference for the latest gaming titles to see if they'd benefit from 12GB. It's a difficult choice. Speed vs RAM.

Antec Atom B750w Bronze PSU
Asgard 750W 80+ Bronze
I haven't checked for reviews on either PSU, but are there any Gold PSUs available where you live? The build quality, circuit design, component choice, operating temperature range and warranty period, tend to be lower on Bronze units than on Gold.

Some (but by no means all) Gold PSUs will provide full output power at ambient temperatures up to +50°C, an important consideration when you're living in a hot climate. Cheaper Bronze may only be rated to provide full power up to +30°C ambient. Even cheaper White PSUs may be restricted to +25°C ambient.

If your friend will be using the PC in an air conditioned room kept at less than +30°C, most Bronze units will work normally, but if the room gets over +40°C, some Bronze units may start to complain.

You also need to consider where the PSU's air intake is positioned. In some computer cases, the PSU draws in air from inside the case, where it has already been heated by the CPU and GPU. The air temperature inside the case can easily rise +5°C above the ambient air temperature outside. If the room is at +40°C then the PSU will receive internal case air at +45°C. Higher temperatures also reduce the life expectancy of capacitors inside the PSU.

Some computer cases place the PSU down at the bottom, where they can draw air in directly from the room, through a vent in the base. In this instance, the power supply will run cooler, but is more susceptible to dust entry, if there is no filter over the vent.

When reading reviews of power supplies, especially when the reviewer has actually tested the PSU in laboratory conditions, pay particular attention to any mention of "hot box tests". This means the reviewer has placed the PSU in a closed box, so that it heats up. This is a cheap way of testing units at elevated temperatures, without a climatic chamber costing thousand of dollars.

I know you are limited by what you can buy locally and Gold PSUs may be unobtainable or too expensive, but remember that some Bronze PSUs only have a 3-year warranty, whereas some Gold PSUs have a 10-year warranty. A Gold PSU should outlive a Bronze PSU, justifying the extra cost.

Reactions: ElMontsaf

ElMontsaf

Commendable
Dec 23, 2021
In terms of future upgrades, the AMD system is even better. AM5 already has the 9000 series available, and likely at least one more generation in the future. Though I would not opt for an A620 chipset, use the excess to get a B650 board.

13400F is the same price as the 7500F. There is little difference between the 13400F and 14400F. (13400F = 12600K without overclocking, roughly)

AM4 5700X is also a decent option under the price of the 14400F. DDR4 again, but the question of how often you upgrade CPUs and motherboards is the main question whether DDR4 or DDR5 matters all that much.

DDR5 you buy today is going to look slow compared to DDR5 3-5 years from now. Or be physically incompatible anyway. There are CAMM2 memory modules which may make a desktop appearance, and the possibility they will start soldering the memory to motherboards to increase speeds (laptops already have the speed advantage on higher end units) DIMMs may be become a memory layer further out with larger DRAM caches built into CPUs. (Intel did this once with Broadwell and certain Iris Xe graphics mobile processors)

Just using MaximumHardware, I am not sure how you managed. With the cheapest 1440p monitor and an RTX 3060 I came up with 56,000 or so without an SSD. They don't appear to have DDR4 in stock though, so less of an option.

It would take a while to go through all the sites and come up with a best build scenario. Based on the prices they had, I would say the 13400F is the best dea they have going for a gaming processor. If you can track down DDR4 that would be a good way to save money. If you stick with DDR5, 2x16GB kit is the best way, trying to add memory later is just asking for problems at these speeds. Mixing and matching DDR4 doesn't always go well, it is much worse with DDR5.
I managed because the monitor is sold in another website thus why you didn't find it.

Let me know what do you think of this

Gigabyte B650M H Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 7500F MPK Processor
ASUS Dual RTX 4060 EVO OC 8Gb GDDR6 Graphic Card
Team T-FORCE 32GB DDR5 (2X16G) 5600 CL36 Gaming Memory
Lexar Nm620 1Tb M.2 Nvme Internal Solid State Drive SSD
Xigmatek Master X II Pro ARGB + Asgard 750W 80+ Bronze Super Tower Case

The total for the pc parts is 42,649 EGP
I used the excess money to get B650 board and 32gb of ram 2 sticks yeah.. 5600MHZ but better than settling for 4800mhz? I just can't find any 16gb 2x8 so i just opted for 32gb 2*16 or i could just buy 1 stick 16gb 6000mhz, speed vs dual channel idk kinda lost you know to all those scenarios, And I also upgraded the nvme to 1tb idk about lexar though might swap it for a cruical one should be the same price just building grounds here.

And the monitor costs 7,777 EGP and total should be 50,426 EGP

Does this sound good?

Last edited:

ElMontsaf

Commendable
Dec 23, 2021
Although not ideal, a single stick of RAM will not affect performance too much, outside of benchmarking apps. You might not notice much difference running single channel instead of dual channel.

It's always best to buy RAM in matched pairs (or quads) at the outset. Adding another DIMM to a system running single channel can cause instability, because you'll have two unmatched DIMMs. Still, if you don't have a choice, don't worry about it too much.

Ryzens do benefit from faster RAM and 6000MT/s is probably the sweet spot for speed versus price. I'm still running my 7950X at DDR4-4800, because that was all I could afford back in 2022, when I bought a 64GB (2x32GB) kit.

I chose the RTX 3060 12GB for my 7950X video editing rig, primarily because it was cheap and for the extra 4GB of RAM, useful in video rendering apps from Adobe and Topaz. Check out your friend's preference for the latest gaming titles to see if they'd benefit from 12GB. It's a difficult choice. Speed vs RAM.

I haven't checked for reviews on either PSU, but are there any Gold PSUs available where you live? The build quality, circuit design, component choice, operating temperature range and warranty period, tend to be lower on Bronze units than on Gold.

Some (but by no means all) Gold PSUs will provide full output power at ambient temperatures up to +50°C, an important consideration when you're living in a hot climate. Cheaper Bronze may only be rated to provide full power up to +30°C ambient. Even cheaper White PSUs may be restricted to +25°C ambient.

If your friend will be using the PC in an air conditioned room kept at less than +30°C, most Bronze units will work normally, but if the room gets over +40°C, some Bronze units may start to complain.

You also need to consider where the PSU's air intake is positioned. In some computer cases, the PSU draws in air from inside the case, where it has already been heated by the CPU and GPU. The air temperature inside the case can easily rise +5°C above the ambient air temperature outside. If the room is at +40°C then the PSU will receive internal case air at +45°C. Higher temperatures also reduce the life expectancy of capacitors inside the PSU.

Some computer cases place the PSU down at the bottom, where they can draw air in directly from the room, through a vent in the base. In this instance, the power supply will run cooler, but is more susceptible to dust entry, if there is no filter over the vent.

When reading reviews of power supplies, especially when the reviewer has actually tested the PSU in laboratory conditions, pay particular attention to any mention of "hot box tests". This means the reviewer has placed the PSU in a closed box, so that it heats up. This is a cheap way of testing units at elevated temperatures, without a climatic chamber costing thousand of dollars.

I know you are limited by what you can buy locally and Gold PSUs may be unobtainable or too expensive, but remember that some Bronze PSUs only have a 3-year warranty, whereas some Gold PSUs have a 10-year warranty. A Gold PSU should outlive a Bronze PSU, justifying the extra cost.
Thank you for the notes about the PSU i will definitely look into it and see if there's a better option
But i guess a 3 year warranty gives a bit of confidence when you look at what you spent,
Also i just posted a reply containing a new build take a look see if its any good

Thoughts on your initial build:

I5-14400F is good. I would spend an extra $25 or so for the non F version that includes integrated graphics.
Sooner or later most will appreciate integrated graphics if a discrete gpu issue shows up.
Plus, you get quick sync which may or may not be useful:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

4060 is now the most popular graphics card for gamers.
You get what you pay for.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

The old rule of thumb to budget 2x the cost of the cpu for the graphics card seems not to be relevant again.
You are in the ballpark.

Intel processors are not much impacted by ram speed.
One 16gb stick is probably a mistake. You may not be able to correct later by adding another 16gb of ram.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

As a suggestion, look for a DDR4 based motherboard and ddr4 ram. Performance is the same.
And look at B660 motherboards which are equally good if there is a price benefit.

512gb seems a bit small. But adding storage later is easy.

I like the AX61 case.

Buy a quality psu. The Antec psu has only a three year warranty.
5 or 7 years would be better

Go see monitors in person if you can.
Otherwise, go to rtings.com for reviews.
The monitor listed seems to me to not be the best:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/odyssey-g5-g55c-s27cg55

Thoughts on the AMD build:

R5-7500F looks to be ok.

Ryzen needs fast ram for performance.
Single channel would be a mistake.
And faster would be better.
To avoid compatibility issues, buy ram from the motherboard ram qvl list or explicitly supported by a ram vendor.
If there is one type of issue with ryzen I see on these forums is ram issues.

Power supplies included in a case are often junk.
I would avoid them.
Probably the best are those in Antec cases.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
MaximumHardware had a few of the 5-year 750W MSI MAG PSUs, more than adequate for a 4060 build.

That Teamgroup memory is set up for Intel XMP. Doesn't mean you can't get it working at the rated speed with AMD, just not much of a guarantee it will work immediately.