[SOLVED] building an external HDD

BoodaGazelle

Reputable
Dec 16, 2019
I have a Dell Optiplex desktop that I bought for my in-laws. Long story short, it was a lemon, and as
a computer it kept shutting down... but I don't want to rehash or debug that. I took out the HDD,
which is a Hitachi... specs below:

Hitachi HUA722010CLA331 1TB

Drive TypeHard Disk DriveThis defines whether the drive is a large-capacity slower hard disk drive, a smaller-capacity but much faster solid-state drive, or a hybrid
Physical Size3.5"The size of the drive dictates which drive bays it will fit into - generally a small drive will fit into any bigger drive bay with an adapter
Capacity1000GBThe drive storage capacity is the limit to the size of files that can be stored
Release Date01 Jan 2013The later the release, the more likely manufacturer support will still be around
Cache Size32MBThe bigger the cache, the more data that can be temporarily stored for faster access
Power Required8WHDDs should generally require very little power to run, and SSDs even less
RPM7200 RPMThe higher the RPM, the faster the hard drive, and the faster stored data can be accessed
Drive InterfaceSATA 3Gb/sThe interface is the type of motherboard connection and defines the bandwidth limit of the drive

When I took it out of the case, it appeared to have a fan assembly on it. Is this something I need to take into account
when I buy the external HDD enclosure?

There is this highly rated one on Amazon...

ORICO Toolfree USB 3.0 to SATA External 3.5 Hard Drive Enclosure Case for 3.5 SATA HDD

but several people did mention having heat issues.

Do HDD enclosures come with fans? Should this be a "must have"?

Thanks,

Mitch