Question Building & Cooling tips for Fractal Design Meshify C

Hypoltan

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
As a new builder about to put together his first build, just looking for other builders, especially ones that have used the meshify c case, wondering if there are any important tips or mistakes I should avoid. Even simple tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Hypoltan

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
Currently am about to put together this build, but wondering what the optimal fan setup would be.

I have the fractal design meshify c tg, which comes with two stock fans, the Dynamic X2 GP-12, with a max cfm of 52.3.
The case has room for 3x 120 or 2x 140 in the front, 2x 120/140 on the top, 1x 120 on the rear, and 1x 120 on the bottom.
I also got two of the pwm fans be quiet! pure wings 2 140mm, with a max cfm of 61.2.

This is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KQrX6s

I'm not sure of other factors which affect airflow but I think some may include the D15s cpu cooler (82.52 cfm) and the bitfenix whisper m 650w, which I think will serve as an intake fan as the case does have ventilation on the bottom. The cpu cooler I do not know how or if it affects airflow, and same goes with the other parts like the gpu.

With all that in mind, what would be the best and most optimal airflow configuration for my build?
Thanks, all help would be greatly appreciated.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Nothing too unusual about the MeshifyC, honestly.

Watch for GPU length - especially if you're mounting a Rad + Fans up front.

Beyond that, I can't think of much.

With your 2 x 140mm fans + the stock options, I would put the 140mm's up front as intake, one of the stock 120mm as a rear exhaust. The other one may not be required. With the D15S, I'm not convinced you could mount it as a top exhaust....

I have a Strix 1070 in there (11.732" long), so all but the outright beefiest cards should fit.

pYhhIOAPjmdREWt178mWr9eVim1S_ygMULSKRwpbaeiSoIehQ6gP8tyMkRMO6eCgIiIWmifepGusZkviqEo8Aydg5EtFKs3z5J5brHxCTcVS4KXSytoI1CXlWx8g8znI0Nhv7bcfZQtamr0C_oFpdScNI18MCb4QDxRJ39KANJYSjf_T6B26lVTbRfxee8xdJAaSa-DL5qlppJP9mZdyDThDV9iJHOag7sNjeyLehJt9yu0GgFgq4wY4r-MskqnlJXb21DI7gpPgwZQL8tYK09Zx_Dl3OuBOeWvnldLbxW-sSpetrPLZ5FRS8SXfWR5SqAF5rLDgAIJvoiz95QRI2gd2QvKqinlTpY74CshMHCwScxZV1sxy_SxUTsgU5o20mxpBsKP2gN1-uvige0lQe7UknUpjO_I0bN8HC7A_SIHuMFtbV-Y80QFPr55B66oUypmHOXT65_6AXNczfsx1Z49Kf0jRHAolHeVVfCHwctdxasAYoWsuiqDsk1Z_laumGPTZcUyKrR0dfMa9-Gj4LplWWkWFYT4z2Csgc6mGODb0WGTQ0XrE4sYMhBtjdqWl_6ml__HKaj-tiGsHof0iLWg1lNUvY5ypewVtPyhR6eylknZBM3O4pqivyE_q37II9C3ehTvnqKSWtyRV725i5R8Vl4ys6s4=w973-h1297-no

Reactions: Hypoltan

Hypoltan

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
Nothing too unusual about the MeshifyC, honestly.

Watch for GPU length - especially if you're mounting a Rad + Fans up front.

Beyond that, I can't think of much.

With your 2 x 140mm fans + the stock options, I would put the 140mm's up front as intake, one of the stock 120mm as a rear exhaust. The other one may not be required. With the D15S, I'm not convinced you could mount it as a top exhaust....

I have a Strix 1070 in there (11.732" long), so all but the outright beefiest cards should fit.

pYhhIOAPjmdREWt178mWr9eVim1S_ygMULSKRwpbaeiSoIehQ6gP8tyMkRMO6eCgIiIWmifepGusZkviqEo8Aydg5EtFKs3z5J5brHxCTcVS4KXSytoI1CXlWx8g8znI0Nhv7bcfZQtamr0C_oFpdScNI18MCb4QDxRJ39KANJYSjf_T6B26lVTbRfxee8xdJAaSa-DL5qlppJP9mZdyDThDV9iJHOag7sNjeyLehJt9yu0GgFgq4wY4r-MskqnlJXb21DI7gpPgwZQL8tYK09Zx_Dl3OuBOeWvnldLbxW-sSpetrPLZ5FRS8SXfWR5SqAF5rLDgAIJvoiz95QRI2gd2QvKqinlTpY74CshMHCwScxZV1sxy_SxUTsgU5o20mxpBsKP2gN1-uvige0lQe7UknUpjO_I0bN8HC7A_SIHuMFtbV-Y80QFPr55B66oUypmHOXT65_6AXNczfsx1Z49Kf0jRHAolHeVVfCHwctdxasAYoWsuiqDsk1Z_laumGPTZcUyKrR0dfMa9-Gj4LplWWkWFYT4z2Csgc6mGODb0WGTQ0XrE4sYMhBtjdqWl_6ml__HKaj-tiGsHof0iLWg1lNUvY5ypewVtPyhR6eylknZBM3O4pqivyE_q37II9C3ehTvnqKSWtyRV725i5R8Vl4ys6s4=w973-h1297-no
So two 140mm's up front, stock in rear, why not have the other stock on top? D15s is just in its usual place on mobo.

Hypoltan

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
Should fit, just not 100% sure - and likely isn't necessary.
Alright I'll try to fit everything, but should I have the two stock in the top as exhaust (if it fits), rather than one on top and one on rear? Also, does the CPU cooler act as an intake or exhaust fan, or is it irrelevant in the positive/negative airlow?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I would likely prefer one top, one rear as exhausts - but test them out and see if there's any performance difference/.

The CPU cooler acts as a little bit of both, and also neither - it'll direct airflow to the rear exhaust (if present), or send air that direction to escape on it's own.
It'll pull some air from the intake fans already pricing air in. It wouldn't really be an "intake" or an "exhaust" on it's own though - in conjunction with the other fans, it can assist in moving air.

Hypoltan

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
I would likely prefer one top, one rear as exhausts - but test them out and see if there's any performance difference/.

The CPU cooler acts as a little bit of both, and also neither - it'll direct airflow to the rear exhaust (if present), or send air that direction to escape on it's own.
It'll pull some air from the intake fans already pricing air in. It wouldn't really be an "intake" or an "exhaust" on it's own though - in conjunction with the other fans, it can assist in moving air.
Sounds good. Though as a novice builder, I was wondering which way the fan points on the Noctua cooler. Probably a stupid question, but I'm not sure.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
as someone who has the Meshify C TG, I can say a couple of things.

Maximum GPU length when having a Kraken X62 AIO mounted in front is 286mm.

you get more if having just fans, and a little bit more than that if the fans aren't too thick.

next is that if you can't have identical fans all around, put the higher pressure fans at the top as exhaust and the lower pressure fans as intake on the front.

Get another fan for the rear as exhaust as well.

as for CPU cooler positioning, it doesn't matter which way the fans on it push/pull air towards, as long as it's mounted appropriately for RAM clearance. So the fan(s) on the cooler can be pushing air either towards the rear or towards the top. Doesn't matter.

As for cable management, it can be a bit tricky to make it super nice on the back side, especially if you have chunkier cables and more of them.

But you just need to spend the appropriate amount of time routing them through the channel and using the included velcro straps to make the cables neat and tidy.

as for bottom fan, I'm pretty sure you can't do that if you have a PSU in there, since that will take up that slot with the fan on the PSU facing downward to suck air into itself from that vent then blow it out the rear.

Make sure to do any cable routing that needs to go through the slots above the motherboard before installing fans up there, as they will get in the way.

Reactions: Hypoltan

Hypoltan

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
as someone who has the Meshify C TG, I can say a couple of things.

Maximum GPU length when having a Kraken X62 AIO mounted in front is 286mm.

you get more if having just fans, and a little bit more than that if the fans aren't too thick.

next is that if you can't have identical fans all around, put the higher pressure fans at the top as exhaust and the lower pressure fans as intake on the front.

Get another fan for the rear as exhaust as well.

as for CPU cooler positioning, it doesn't matter which way the fans on it push/pull air towards, as long as it's mounted appropriately for RAM clearance. So the fan(s) on the cooler can be pushing air either towards the rear or towards the top. Doesn't matter.

As for cable management, it can be a bit tricky to make it super nice on the back side, especially if you have chunkier cables and more of them.

But you just need to spend the appropriate amount of time routing them through the channel and using the included velcro straps to make the cables neat and tidy.

as for bottom fan, I'm pretty sure you can't do that if you have a PSU in there, since that will take up that slot with the fan on the PSU facing downward to suck air into itself from that vent then blow it out the rear.

Make sure to do any cable routing that needs to go through the slots above the motherboard before installing fans up there, as they will get in the way.
Thank you for all the tips and information, I really appreciate it.
I'm using the pure wings 2 140mm in front as intake and the stock ones as top and exhaust, not sure which ones are higher pressure but they should be good in terms of cooling. Good to know the fan on cpu cooler doesn't really matter, and thank you for the tips on cable management.