Building graphics workstation for work, how does this set up look?

sla70r

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nhrX3b
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nhrX3b/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($276.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ Amazon)
Vi Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB FTW ULTRA SILENT GAMING ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Case: be quiet! - Silent Base 800 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($130.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($21.85 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit ($125.89 @ Trusted Tech Team)
Total: $1563.46

I would replace the GPU with an Nvidia Quadro K1200. They're made for Workstations and are optimized for designers, 3d work, engineering software. It is capable to output in 4K on 4 different monitors if needed.

Apart from that, that build is solid. Mabye add a 2TB Seagate 7,200rpm HDD for storage?
You can also get a Windows 10 Pro OEM License Key off Ebay for 10$. 100% Legit, that's where I bought it from.
If you want, you can also drop down your PSU. Since it won't be used for gaming, you don't need something as powerful. You can settle for a Corsair CXM, Seasonic S12II, BeQuiet Pure Power 10, or Cooler Master Masterwatt, which are still very good and even good for gaming rigs.

I would absolutely not switch to the K1200 or buy a license from ebay. The K1200 is notably slower than the 1070ti. If you have the budget for the TI then get it. I don't know why someone would suggest switching to a 3 year old card. The improvement in rendering capability vastly outweigh the benefits of a quadro series card.

While I'm sure there are some legit licenses on ebay the vast majority (especially for that price) are not. Given that this is for a business environment I would not risk it.

The Windows Licenses on Ebay are much easier to find then you'd expect if you actually have a look. The only real difference would be that the Ebay licenses are OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) licenses, meaning that you don't receive any official support from Microsoft. So up to you to see if this is something that works for you.

As for the GPU issue. If this build is in fact intended as a Workstation for graphic work (as well as 3D design I would assume); then going for a GTX 1070Ti will be a waste of performance. Not only will this be a complete overkill as a GTX 1050Ti will do the job just as well as the GPU's capacity won't be used to its fullest when running these types of software. Even a GTX 1080Ti will give you blurry lines when using programs such as CAD. This is because these Video Cards work differently from each other.

The Quadro K1200 despite being a downgrade in terms of raw performance will allow an output in 4k on 4 different monitors simultaneously. When it comes to rendering and using design software who don't require very much VRAM in the first place, you will notice that the performance will rival that of a GTX 1070 despite it being considerably cheaper.

However, if you intend to use this build for the occasional gameing sessions. I could alternatively suggest the Quadro P2000, currently priced at $408.48:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/x4bkcf/pny-quadro-p2000-5gb-video-card-vcqp2000-pb
Priced similarly to the GTX 1070Ti, you will be able to keep this card for over 5 years for your work and it will remain as one of the top choices for workstations.

My original choice of the K1200 was to account for pricing. I myself own a small Digital Marketing agency and built every computer in it myself. I noticed that @sla70r did not pick any additional storage options (as I know that these can quickly fill up) as well as no case fans. Good BeQuiet! 120mm case fans, which I believe would be the perfect fit for a workstation thanks to its very quiet noise levels can easily go up to 30$ a piece.

Just thought I should explain my choices and reasoning for your information.