Question Building my first PC - Tips and compatibility issues?

Dec 28, 2023
Will use it for gaming, wanted something to surpass the PS5. My currency is BRL.

GPU: An used RX6800
CPU: 5600
Motherboard: B550M (MaxSun Terminator - a chinese budget Mobo, no signs of throwbing from what I have researched)
RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz Asgard Freyr T3 (another chinese budget part, I do not know much about it, just that it is cheap)
Case: will keep the case from my old pc, Im hoping it will fit: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cougar-C...-ATX-ATX-Retail/44755738?selectedSellerId=339
PSU: Gigabyte p650 Bronze

My full PC here (not all specific parts were available so some of those are not the real thing, reference the ones I described above): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/w3nbyg

Any tips? Incompatibilities?

Reactions: Avro Arrow
The VRM on that motherboard is really bad and looks more like something that would have been in prior generations. If possible I'd highly recommend getting something better, but I know availability/pricing can be really bad depending on where you are. As long as you never plan on getting a higher end CPU than the 5600 it should work if you don't have any alternative.

That PSU is not something I'd want to use with a card like the 6800. It's a very low end power supply which isn't a good idea to use with a modern GPU that uses over 200W. If you have to go with a lower end PSU MSI MAG A650BN or XPG Pylon would be better choices. Again I'm not sure what price/availability looks like there, but I believe those units should be.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023
The VRM on that motherboard is really bad and looks more like something that would have been in prior generations. If possible I'd highly recommend getting something better, but I know availability/pricing can be really bad depending on where you are. As long as you never plan on getting a higher end CPU than the 5600 it should work if you don't have any alternative.

That PSU is not something I'd want to use with a card like the 6800. It's a very low end power supply which isn't a good idea to use with a modern GPU that uses over 200W. If you have to go with a lower end PSU MSI MAG A650BN or XPG Pylon would be better choices. Again I'm not sure what price/availability looks like there, but I believe those units should be.
The motherboard was something that I spent some extra time reviewing, at first I was checking Biostar Model which was like BRL400 (around $80, but electronics tend to be more expensive in Brazil), but I`ve seen a lot of issues with the AMD 5600 CPU generating Thermal Throttling. That is why I kept looking and found a BRL500 ($100) from a chinese brand that is very used here in Brazil, it does not seem to have this issue and I do not plan on overclocking or upgrading my CPU so soon. I think this PC will be set like it is and when I build my next one, lets say 3 years from now, I can give this one to my SO so we can play some LAN Coop games. Another option would be to go with an A520, but the brands at this <500BRL price range would still be the same, so I decided to pick the B550 for the PCIE4. Are there any improvements from the A520 iver the B550 VRM to justify going with the A version? Thank you regardless for your awesome consideration and for being sensitive of the different realities!!

I began searching for an used PSU and found a Corsair CX750. Are there any problems that may come up with an used PSU? Is there anyway for me to test if it is working properly or "silently degrading my pc components"? A third option is that I do have a somewhat good PSU but that is old. It is a Seasonic Silent S12II it is a 620W 80 Plus Bronze, but it was bought back in Aug 2016, most of it`s time it was spent in my shelf, because on 2017 I bought my laptop that I used since then, but would it be better than the new Gigabyte p650Bn PSU I was going to buy?

Corsair CX750
Green label or grey label?

A third option is that I do have a somewhat good PSU but that is old. It is a Seasonic Silent S12II it is a 620W 80 Plus Bronze, but it was bought back in Aug 2016, most of it`s time it was spent in my shelf, because on 2017 I bought my laptop that I used since then, but would it be better than the new Gigabyte p650Bn PSU I was going to buy?
The Seasonic is worse. It's a group regulated unit and is missing essential protections.

Dec 28, 2023
Green label or grey label?

The Seasonic is worse. It's a group regulated unit and is missing essential protections.
There are both types listed, is one better? Thank you for the info about the Seasonic, what is the main concern with a cheap PSU as the Gigabyte on a high end setup? The PSU dying down the line (which would not be so much concerning, cause of the warranty) or the PSU killing another component (which would be bad)?

The Gigabyte has better voltage regulation but does not have proper protections. Missing or not proper working protections can damage the system.

About the Corsair CX750: the grey label is better. But they're not CX750M?

Will use it for gaming, wanted something to surpass the PS5. My currency is BRL.

GPU: An used RX6800
Great choice. The 16GB frame buffer will never let you down. (y)
CPU: 5600
Another great choice. The included cooler is more than enough for that CPU.
Motherboard: B550M (MaxSun Terminator - a chinese budget Mobo, no signs of throwbing from what I have researched)
The brand doesn't matter as long as it has the correct chipset and the MaxSun B550M Terminator has the AMD B550 chipset so you'll be just fine with it. Remember, you can't make a motherboard in your backyard so any brand of motherboard will be professionally made in a manufacturing plant that cost hundreds of millions to build and equip.
RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz Asgard Freyr T3 (another chinese budget part, I do not know much about it, just that it is cheap)
Again, don't worry about the brand. ALL of the RAM in the world today is made by either Samsung, Hynix or Micron regardless of what "brand" the RAM is. You'll be just fine with that.
It's an ATX Mid-Tower. It will work just fine.
PSU: Gigabyte p650 Bronze
TechPowerUp recommends a 600W PSU for the RX 6800 so you should be more than fine with a Gigabyte 650W 80+Bronze-Certified PSU.
My full PC here (not all specific parts were available so some of those are not the real thing, reference the ones I described above): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/w3nbyg

Any tips? Incompatibilities?
Everything looks good to me. You did a great job with your part selection and I can't think of anything that would be problematic in that build. It actually looks like something that I would come up with. ;)(y)

The motherboard was something that I spent some extra time reviewing, at first I was checking Biostar Model which was like BRL400 (around $80, but electronics tend to be more expensive in Brazil)
There's nothing wrong with Biostar. My first 286-16 build back in 1988 had a Biostar Baby-AT motherboard. I even had a Biostar A320M-H motherboard that I put into a system that I sold. I've never had a Biostar motherboard fail on me (and I've owned 3 or 4) which is more than I can say for MSi.

Remember, no matter what brand a motherboard is, it was professionally manufactured by a huge corporation because there's no other way to make one. Just because we don't hear much about companies like MaxSun or Soyo in the Western Hemisphere, it doesn't mean that they don't make decent products, they just chose to cater to the Far East market. Since that's where they're situated anyway, I can't say that I blame them.

I've owned components by Albatron, ASRock, Biostar, ECS/Elitegroup, EVGA, Gigabyte, JXZ, MSi, OCZ, Sapphire, Team Group, UMAX and XFX. To date, the only thing that has ever failed on me was an MSi K9A2 Platinum motherboard. I don't buy anything from MSi as a result but every other brand always gave me reliable performance.

Your MaxSun B550M Terminator motherboard will serve you just fine, especially with a low-wattage CPU like the Ryzen 5 5600 and will also work just fine with an R7-5800X3D if you ever upgrade to it. Unless you're interested in overclocking (which is a waste anyway), I wouldn't worry about it.

Dec 28, 2023
The Gigabyte has better voltage regulation but does not have proper protections. Missing or not proper working protections can damage the system.

Found a XPG, Pylon, 650W for $14 more than Gigabyte`s does this one have protection? What should I try to look to research if a PSU have the proper protection for my components?

The motherboard was something that I spent some extra time reviewing, at first I was checking Biostar Model which was like BRL400 (around $80, but electronics tend to be more expensive in Brazil), but I`ve seen a lot of issues with the AMD 5600 CPU generating Thermal Throttling. That is why I kept looking and found a BRL500 ($100) from a chinese brand that is very used here in Brazil, it does not seem to have this issue and I do not plan on overclocking or upgrading my CPU so soon. I think this PC will be set like it is and when I build my next one, lets say 3 years from now, I can give this one to my SO so we can play some LAN Coop games. Another option would be to go with an A520, but the brands at this <500BRL price range would still be the same, so I decided to pick the B550 for the PCIE4. Are there any improvements from the A520 iver the B550 VRM to justify going with the A version? Thank you regardless for your awesome consideration and for being sensitive of the different realities!!
I think you'll be okay with that motherboard since you don't plan on going beyond the 5600. A520 boards in that price range are probably not going to be any better VRM wise.
Found a XPG, Pylon, 650W for $14 more than Gigabyte`s does this one have protection? What should I try to look to research if a PSU have the proper protection for my components?
The XPG Pylon is a better choice than the Gigabyte one.

It would be better if you could get an overall better quality PSU, but getting the best you can afford is important.

You can reference this list when looking at power supplies (if you can find one in B Tier that would be best), just make sure to match model exactly: https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Dec 28, 2023
There's nothing wrong with Biostar. My first 286-16 build back in 1988 had a Biostar Baby-AT motherboard. I even had a Biostar A320M-H motherboard that I put into a system that I sold. I've never had a Biostar motherboard fail on me (and I've owned 3 or 4) which is more than I can say for MSi.

Remember, no matter what brand a motherboard is, it was professionally manufactured by a huge corporation because there's no other way to make one. Just because we don't hear much about companies like MaxSun or Soyo in the Western Hemisphere, it doesn't mean that they don't make decent products, they just chose to cater to the Far East market. Since that's where they're situated anyway, I can't say that I blame them.

I've owned components by Albatron, ASRock, Biostar, ECS/Elitegroup, EVGA, Gigabyte, JXZ, MSi, OCZ, Sapphire, Team Group, UMAX and XFX. To date, the only thing that has ever failed on me was an MSi K9A2 Platinum motherboard. I don't buy anything from MSi as a result but every other brand always gave me reliable performance.

Your MaxSun B550M Terminator motherboard will serve you just fine, especially with a low-wattage CPU like the Ryzen 5 5600 and will also work just fine with an R7-5800X3D if you ever upgrade to it. Unless you're interested in overclocking (which is a waste anyway), I wouldn't worry about it.
Hey there, I made a change in my build. Hope to hear your considerations:

I went with a 6800 XT found someone selling it for 10% more than the 6800 I was aiming for.

I am going with Intel 11600K which is 7% faster than 5600 and even 5700x (found a good deal which is the same price as the 5600). Problem is, I will also need a new mobo and therefore to check compatibility issues.
The prices here are 11600k=5600, the 5700x is slightly more expensive (but I guess the 11600k is 3% faster still)

MOBO 1: MSI H560M PRO-E
MOBO2: DUEX DX H510 PROH

Am going to go with XPG Pylon Bronze 650W. It seems it can handle the 6800XT and those processors even with adding some fans to the case and a WLAN PciE and a HDD and 2 extras SSDs.

Is it still compatible? Any thoughts? Which MOBO would be better? I think about the first one because MSI is a brand I know better, if there are not any specific concerns with this model.

Thank you and happy new year

Dec 28, 2023
I think you'll be okay with that motherboard since you don't plan on going beyond the 5600. A520 boards in that price range are probably not going to be any better VRM wise.

The XPG Pylon is a better choice than the Gigabyte one.

It would be better if you could get an overall better quality PSU, but getting the best you can afford is important.

You can reference this list when looking at power supplies (if you can find one in B Tier that would be best), just make sure to match model exactly: https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/
Hey Stryker I posted an update to my setup, I don’t know if you get a notification if I don’t reply directly. Would love to hear your considerations!

Dec 28, 2023

Hey Sid I posted an update to my setup, I don’t know if you get a notification if I don’t reply directly. Would love to hear your considerations!

Dec 28, 2023
Actually the 12400 would be better (same price as 11600 and 5600). I believe it is the stronger overall according to benchmarks and specially at PS3 emulator (which runs better with intel).

MOBO 1: MSI B560M Pro-E
MOBO2: Asrock H610M HBS

Please disconsider the 11600 update, I believe the discussion should focus on those two MOBO and CPU. Sorry if I’m updating this thread in a confusing way.

I went with a 6800 XT found someone selling it for 10% more than the 6800 I was aiming for.

Am going to go with XPG Pylon Bronze 650W. It seems it can handle the 6800XT and those processors even with adding some fans to the case and a WLAN PciE and a HDD and 2 extras SSDs.

Is it still compatible? Any thoughts? Which MOBO would be better? I think about the first one because MSI is a brand I know better, if there are not any specific concerns with this model.

You need to go with a better power supply if you're planning on buying a 6800 XT. I have a 6800 XT in a spare machine with 650W PSU, but my PSU is A tier from the list I linked earlier and I really should be using a higher wattage one just the same.
Actually the 12400 would be better (same price as 11600 and 5600). I believe it is the stronger overall according to benchmarks and specially at PS3 emulator (which runs better with intel).

MOBO 1: MSI B560M Pro-E
MOBO2: Asrock H610M HBS
That ASRock board has bad VRMs, but if you're only going to use it for gaming it should be okay. If you are going to be using it for anything that puts load on the CPU you need a better motherboard. The MSI one only supports 10/11th gen so won't support the CPU.

Dec 28, 2023
You need to go with a better power supply if you're planning on buying a 6800 XT. I have a 6800 XT in a spare machine with 650W PSU, but my PSU is A tier from the list I linked earlier and I really should be using a higher wattage one just the same.

That ASRock board has bad VRMs, but if you're only going to use it for gaming it should be okay. If you are going to be using it for anything that puts load on the CPU you need a better motherboard. The MSI one only supports 10/11th gen so won't support the CPU.
What about a Cougar Atlas 750?

About the MOBO:
1: ASRock (bad vrm, the most cpu intensive task will be PS3 emulation)
2: Gigabyte H610M K (Slightly more expensive but I can fit in the budget if it is worth it)
3: Mancer H610M-DA
4: Msi Pro H610m-g

If none above, the Duex DX-B760G Gaming I could stretch to fit the budget

I cannot find anything reliable on this PSU, but it looks like it's a relatively recent release. However it isn't going to be very good no matter how you look at it. It is a better choice than the 650W low end ones though.

I'm not exactly sure how much you've got budgeted here, but there is a decent option from Cooler Master (MWE 750 Bronze V2) that might be available.

About the MOBO:
1: ASRock (bad vrm, the most cpu intensive task will be PS3 emulation)
2: Gigabyte H610M K (Slightly more expensive but I can fit in the budget if it is worth it)
3: Mancer H610M-DA
4: Msi Pro H610m-g

If none above, the Duex DX-B760G Gaming I could stretch to fit the budget
The ASRock and Gigabyte are both bottom of the barrel VRM wise. The MSI is a little better than these, but still not very good and I believe it has a default power limit slightly below that of the 12400. The Mancer looks to share a configuration with the following two, but I can't find any real information on the board. ASRock H610M -HVS/M.2 R2 and Gigabyte H610M H would be better options than the ASRock/Gigabyte models you mentioned. It would be a good idea to get some heatsinks for the VRMs on any of these boards though just to minimize throttling potential.

I couldn't find anything that matched the Duex model you mention, but there's a B760ZG which already has heatsinks and should have better VRM than any of the above and will easily handle the CPU.

Machinist might be available there and from what little I know they're decent generic boards.

You can't go wrong there!
I am going with Intel 11600K which is 7% faster than 5600 and even 5700x (found a good deal which is the same price as the 5600).
That doesn't seem accurate because, according to TechPowerUp, the R5-5600X is 8% faster which means that the 5600 is at least 5% faster. Of course, I'm only looking at gaming performance.
relative-performance-games-1280-720.png

There's also something else you have to take into account and that's the fact that the R5-5600 comes with a cooler which is at least $20 you have to add to the price of the i5-11600K which doesn't come with one (because you will need to buy one separately).
Yeah, that should be fine.
Happy New Year to you and I'm happy to help. ;)(y)

Dec 28, 2023

That doesn't seem accurate because, according to TechPowerUp, the R5-5600X is 8% faster which means that the 5600 is at least 5% faster. Of course, I'm only looking at gaming performance.

There's also something else you have to take into account and that's the fact that the R5-5600 comes with a cooler which is at least $20 you have to add to the price of the i5-11600K which doesn't come with one (because you will need to buy one separately).

What about the 12400? It is likely a bit more powerful than the 5600 for about the same price.

I did like the idea of going to a 5800x3d when I do need, but the 12400 also has that capability with 12-13th gen of intel in LGA1700…

Alderlake is specially good for the not so optimized RPCS3 emulator, which I have a great interest, it seems to match the 5700x performance on that software.

What are your thoughts on that? I would still use DDR4 with the 12400, DDR5 is definitely out of my reach.

What about the 12400? It is likely a bit more powerful than the 5600 for about the same price.

I did like the idea of going to a 5800x3d when I do need, but the 12400 also has that capability with 12-13th gen of intel in LGA1700…

Alderlake is specially good for the not so optimized RPCS3 emulator, which I have a great interest, it seems to match the 5700x performance on that software.

What are your thoughts on that? I would still use DDR4 with the 12400, DDR5 is definitely out of my reach.
I honestly have no idea about the RPCS3 emulator because, before today, I'd never even heard of it. I don't like to guess about things I know nothing about so I can't give you any advice there. I would much rather say "I don't know" than give you bad advice.

TRENDING THREADS