Building my own Computer: Please Help

DrawMusic

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
Hi everyone, this is the first time I’m building a computer from scratch. I’ve been having trouble for the past few weeks getting it to work and have encountered many problems. I’ve plugged everything in to the computer but it is still not completely working. The only thing wrong now is that the operating system won’t load properly. I’ve tried plugging in three different hard drives with Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and they all have failed. Normally, it ends up freezing at a light blue screen-not the blue screen of death; it’s more of a pretty shade of blue with no text. Moreover, sometimes with the light blue screen it will freeze and not restart and other times it will just sit there with the blue screen forever. Once or twice when this has happened, the mouse was on the screen, with windows xp. Another thing that sometimes happens is that it has the windows logo on the screen and it is trying to do an automatic repair and shows that it is loading for half a second then freezes. About half the time it’s just frozen with this situation, the other half it then goes to the windows 8 blue screen of death (with the sideways smiley face) and then it goes in a loop and continues to restart over and over again. Anyway, the booting up is always inconsistent and I haven’t found much of a pattern. I’ve updated the bios to the newest version (which worked but didn’t solve problem), played around with ram positioning and the number of them, SATA connections, and have tried to only use the essentials-like one hard drive and one ram etc. Since I’m kind of new with this stuff, I’d appreciate any feedback and support. But please don’t use any weird terms or abbreviations and try to stick with the basics please. Thank you so much in advance!

Stats for my computer:
ATX
Power supply: 725 watts
CPU: Intel core I5 650 @ 3.20 GHz, BCLK Speed: 133mhz, CPU frequency: 3192Mhz
Hard Drive: Solid state drive, (SSDSC2CW180A), 180 GB, intel
DRAM: frequency-1333MHz, ddr3, HyperX, 4gb each stick (I have 2 sticks which total up to be 8gb)
Bios=used Asus EZ flash 2 to update to version 2102
Graphic Card: nvidia Quadro, PCIEX16
Motherboard: Asus P7P55D

Chass1990

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
you mentioned switching drives, have you actually done a clean windows install on this particular machine? If the hard drive was pulled from an old machine, it won't work. The OS needs to be reinstalled on the machine with the new parts as different parts use different device drivers.

DrawMusic

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015

Sorry for not being clear enough. I installed the windows 8 from another device because it kept failing on the computer I am building. Windows 8 just won't load and keeps crashing. However, I also plugged in the solid state drive into another computer (with the windows 8 os actually successfully installed) and it worked. I think I tried it on three different computers and they all worked so I don't think it's that.