[SOLVED] building work computer, no gaming, but curious if better to use a lowcost dedicated GPU vs a CPU with integrated graphics like AMD3200G or 3400G

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Hi,

I am building a computer for work......non-gaming rig. Might do a little surfing/streaming but nothing too high-end like gaming. I was wondering if it was better to go with a cheap dedicated GPU for like $50 to $100 or go with an non-dedicated GPU and go with CPUs like AMD 3200G or 3400G

Solution
Hi,

I am building a computer for work......non-gaming rig. Might do a little surfing/streaming but nothing too high-end like gaming. I was wondering if it was better to go with a cheap dedicated GPU for like $50 to $100 or go with an non-dedicated GPU and go with CPUs like AMD 3200G or 3400G
It could depend on the monitor connections available on the motherboard vs what you have for monitors. A graphics card can have multiple HDMI, or multiple DP connections. Most motherboards have one of each. That might be OK or might not. Also, you want to increase the RAM and be sure to purchase a dual channel memory kit (2 DIMMs). 16GB (2x8GB) would be the minimum recommended configuration for integrated graphics.
A "non...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

It could depend on the monitor connections available on the motherboard vs what you have for monitors. A graphics card can have multiple HDMI, or multiple DP connections. Most motherboards have one of each. That might be OK or might not. Also, you want to increase the RAM and be sure to purchase a dual channel memory kit (2 DIMMs). 16GB (2x8GB) would be the minimum recommended configuration for integrated graphics.
A "non gaming" build might want three monitors, again probably a dedicated graphics card situation.

Solution